Gap between CFC and FIDE ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gap between CFC and FIDE ratings

TLDR: How do we get CFC and FIDE ratings more aligned?

A lot of strong CFC players don't have FIDE ratings, and a lot of those with FIDE ratings have massive gaps between their CFC and FIDE ratings.

This creates a really vicious cycle, as those looking to get an established FIDE rating have little incentive to face a 2000+ player with a 1700 FIDE rating. Those who have that low FIDE rating have little opportunity to face higher FIDE rated players to more accurately reflect their true rating.

I'm wondering if CFC officials have discussed this and what ideas have been put forward towards dealing with this.

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    A lot of strong CFC players don't have FIDE ratings
    Sorry I don't buy "a lot" and "don't have". Tell me any a strong player without the FIDE rating. For me strong at least >2000 in any system (FIDE or CFC).

Comment

3 years ago we did a research with Paul Leblanc (CFC rating auditor that time). The average gap was around 125 points. Likely, the gap is larger now because of the permanent deflation in FIDE rating. FIDE will likely change some rating rules in 2024, which could have a serious impact on the entire rating system

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
        3 years ago we did a research with Paul Leblanc (CFC rating auditor that time). The average gap was around 125 points. Likely, the gap is larger now because of the permanent deflation in FIDE rating. FIDE will likely change some rating rules in 2024, which could have a serious impact on the entire rating system
        It is not difficult to get data from FIDE and CFC databases, and get difference
        Something like that for FIDE active players

or short link https://ibb.co/CWSt5Bj

For these data: Average 110 and STDEV.P 150. In principle a very wide spread, and gets wilder with lower ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Sorry I don't buy "a lot" and "don't have". Tell me any a strong player without the FIDE rating. For me strong at least >2000 in any system (FIDE or CFC).
          Well, me for instance (currently 2240 CFC, 2400 rapid on chess.com)

But I was recently looking at some tournaments in the GTA and in was frustrating to see so many 2000+ players with FIDE ratings under 1800.

For example, the top 4 registered players in this tournament are all under 1800 FIDE. One player is 1926 CFC and 1328 FIDE!

https://chess-results.com/Tnr797089.aspx?lan=1

I admit I don't have the aggregate numbers though. It would be good to analyze.

Comment

But I was recently looking at some tournaments in the GTA and in was frustrating to see so many 2000+ players with FIDE ratings under 1800.

For example, the top 4 registered players in this tournament are all under 1800 FIDE. One player is 1926 CFC and 1328 FIDE!

The situation has been worse in Michigan. I have had a relatively stable USCF rating in recent years but my FIDE rating has been in free fall and not because I have been playing badly. Oddly enough the U.S. Open was not FIDE rated.

Comment

Hey Vlad my old friend, it's been a while.

​​​​​ I hope chess life is treating you well. It's almost a catch-22 right now. The FIDE ratings don't have appeal other than for the titles, because they are so depressed around here (IMO).

Comment

Hey Vlad my old friend, it's been a while.

​​​​​ I hope chess life is treating you well. It's almost a catch-22 right now. The FIDE ratings don't have appeal other than for the titles, because they are so depressed around here (IMO).
                Yes, it has been too long since our Windsor Chess League days.

I am trying to figure out a way that I can get back to playing but lately all the local Michigan tournaments have been in Grand Rapids which necessitates a hotel stay paying U.S. dollar hotel fees. I continue to spend too much on chess programs and have tried to stay sharp by playing online mostly 15/10 but this is not sufficient as it creates a certain laziness and superficiality in tournament games.

If you want to raise your FIDE rating, you probably have to go to Chicago or New York or some such busy place with constant large events.

If you have larger sums of money to spend you can organize a month long trip to places like Serbia and Hungary and play four events in four weeks and you can gain hundreds of rating points in a month though this probably works better for underrated juniors with K=40. You have to be able to win or at least hold your own against higher rated players. Loopholes like this will likely disappear as spectacular and occasionally fishy smelling rises in rating as outlined on a different thread gain the notice of FIDE officials.

Comment

As I see you dropped while ago, when you just needed couple games to fulfill the FIDE requirement for 9 rated games. These days it is only 5 games. Most stronger weekend opens would gave you a starting point.
                  K=40 is for everyone (not only juniors) till you have 30 rated games. Thus, your rating should converge fast in the local pool.

Many players (mainly youth) played online in CFC rated events, got better, however, FIDE ratings lag for them. Will take time and should normalize.

Look at the Toronto Open starting the Labour long weekend. Worst case wait for Aurora Open next March :)

Comment

To be honest, that's why most Canadian players go to play in US or Europe, as there aren't enough opportunities to play against 2200+ Fide at home. Perhaps the influx of top tourneys like the candidates can start changing that, but it'll take a while. As someone mentioned, by the time most juniors get to a respectable Fide rating, they semi-retire, so maybe that should be the focus for CFC.

Comment

A lot of people have inflated CFC ratings from bonuses, incentives during COVID, etc. and think they are good... Wait till their real FIDE rolls around after a few open tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                      X