New titles for Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New titles for Canada

Yes, without 'being' there, one cannot deal with the mammoth bureaucracy! Moreover, it is essential for the Canadian FIDE rep to bat for Canada at these conferences, and perhaps someday, we could even have a Canadian President at FIDE :-)... We need to keep the FIDE fund healthy with donations to enable this to happen soon...

Comment

Hal, I just wanted to take a moment to express more publicly my gratitude for everything you have done over the last few years to help me achieve FA.

Most readers are probably not aware of the following, but I have been quite regularly harassing(!) Hal for some time now, both by email and phone, trying to improve myself as an Organizer/TD. Hal is a very busy man being pulled in very many directions, and yet he has always found the time to genuinely and enthusiastically consult with me. Without Hal, I would not have achieved FA.

So Hal, thanks again! People like you are what make Canadian chess great!

All the best, Aris.

Comment

Good stuff Hal!

I always thought it was important for us to have a FIDE rep at these meetings although I imagine it's hard for our federation currently to cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          You are most welcome William!

As I have said elsewhere, it is difficult to imagine a better set of outcomes from a FIDE Congress.

Congratulations to our 4 newbies:

FA Aris Marghetis
          WIM Yuanling Yuan
          WIM Dina Kagramanov
          IM Raja Panjwani

Each one of them kept me going. Dina's Zonal result was so convincing that the WIM title was awarded despite being a player short of the requirements. Yuanling's was actually held up in part by us at the Arbiter's Commission (they guys who used their budget to pay for my plane and hotel!). Aris slid through without incident. Then there was Raja - his IM title was 2 certificates short of a 3 certificate application. One of the norms was guilty with an explanation. It came down to a vote after the final Commission meeting. This was close. I had to play a little to get his final application approved without giving it to the FIDE Office first (therefore paying for the attempt). It's the kind of manouver you can only attempt at a Congress, where the Office is across the hall.

We also managed to turn back the zonal tides of change, but that's another story.
          So Hal, does the CFC foot the bill for the FIDE rep to attend the Congress? This seems like a normal expense to me, but am curious. I know previous reps have paid their own way. I feel the CFC should pay this expense since it helps us maintain our zonal status, ensures that titles are awareded, etc.

Comment

Thanks Aris for your kind words. Canada has a good reputation where Arbiters are concerned, dating back to the contributions for Phil Haley and Jonathan Berry. Keep striving!

While it is unfortunate that the CFC does not pay for these trips, I certainly knew this in July, and the financial challenges of the CFC are well known. My approach has been to try to change this policy by creating new funding streams. At least now people who want to donate to the FIDE Fund can help the cause. The FIDE Rep then becomes a kind of guarantor, that any funding shortfall will be covered by him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              Thanks Aris for your kind words. Canada has a good reputation where Arbiters are concerned, dating back to the contributions for Phil Haley and Jonathan Berry. Keep striving!

While it is unfortunate that the CFC does not pay for these trips, I certainly knew this in July, and the financial challenges of the CFC are well known. My approach has been to try to change this policy by creating new funding streams. At least now people who want to donate to the FIDE Fund can help the cause. The FIDE Rep then becomes a kind of guarantor, that any funding shortfall will be covered by him/her.
              I couldn't find any indication of the FIDE fund on the CFC website...

not even on the FIDE section here: http://www.chess.ca/fide.htm
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
              X