Toronto Star article: "Shared love of chess bonds receiving corps"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Star article: "Shared love of chess bonds receiving corps"

In the Toronto Star today, this article, by Mark Zwolinski, connects Toronto's Canadian Football League team, the Argonauts, with chess!

"There is a connection between football and chess. Just ask Argos receiver Damonte Coxie. After missing two games with an ankle injury, Coxie will make his return to the lineup on Friday, and that means his chess game with his peers in the receiving corps will resume as well.
    "" Playing chess taps into your focus, and you have to make a move that's three steps ahead of your opponent. And that's kind of like in football, you have to anticipate what your opponent is going to do before they do it," Coxie said Thursday ..."
    The article then heads into football-only territory, before returning to chess later on.
    "Coxie said his uncle, Alton -- nicknamed Boo -- taught him how to play his other sport: chess. (Chess is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee.) ETC.

Nice share, Frank.

So right about now the CFC should coming up with an idea to somehow partner with the CFL.

Don't need to sell memberships ... don't need to demo chess ... simply need to nationally 'connect' and very publically (social platforms) 'connect' ... one interest with the other! Think visual strategy, think visual tactics ... think graphics!!!

Damn shame that the Chess Federation of Canada, founded in the 1930's, is fucking pathetic.

Missed opportunity ... after missed opportunity ... again and again and again!!!

I think it's called lack of leadership ... isn't it???

Way to go, Vlady!
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 25th August, 2023, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      Nice share, Frank.

So right about now the CFC should coming up with an idea to somehow partner with the CFL.

Frank's post is dated today and he refers to an article in today's Toronto Star. Not sure I see the need to jump on this news like it's an emergency. If you picture a Venn diagram with two circles, one the set of CFL lovers and the other the set of Canadian chess lovers, my gut says the two don't overlap to a significant degree. After nearly 60 years of being part of the Canadian chess scene, I don't recall even a single instance of hearing Canadian chess players talking about the CFL (or football in general). Are you sure there's a basis for your enthusiasm, Neil?

Don't need to sell memberships ... don't need to demo chess ... simply need to nationally 'connect' and very publically (social platforms) 'connect' ... one interest with the other! Think visual strategy, think visual tactics ... think graphics!!!

Damn shame that the Chess Federation of Canada, founded in the 1930's, is fucking pathetic.

Really!! Roughly 90 years of being pathetic. We should commemorate this achievement. Perhaps a bust of the CFC's most pathetic member? Would that be you, Neil?

Missed opportunity ... after missed opportunity ... again and again and again!!!

I'm wondering, what would you know about leadership?

Way to go, Valdy!
      Valdy!!!! Is he still alive?
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

.... Damn shame that the Chess Federation of Canada, founded in the 1930's, is fucking pathetic.
        Neil, just think about all of the decent, hardworking people you insulted with that remark.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

OMG ... what an amazing typo, ha!

Comment

Neil, just think about all of the decent, hardworking people you insulted with that remark.
            Peter, there's pretty much ZERO chance you me will ever agree on anything (except what you just read, ha!) so when I say that since the Chess Federation of Canada's founding in the 1930's ... chess in Canada has been FIDE/RATED/ELITIST driven.

Chess in Canada is NOT that.

Chess in Canada is all about folks meeting across a chessboard ... PERIOD! And to a certain extent an association with our game of chess.

So ya ... pathetic!!!

The CFC should have been socially connected right across Canada decades ago!! Yet, it has ALWAYS been driven by marginalizing chess to being RATED CHESS across Canada!!!

I know you don't have the Canadian social skill set to understand that ... and that's OK, Peter. But please stop for a moment, reign in your unbridled passion for all things CFC ... try to understand that the Chess Federation of Canada DOES NOT represent Chess in Canada.

It too ... as you ... DON'T have the natural Canadian social skill abilities because you and it were never intended to do so.

The mere fact the poor Vlady is reaching out ... crowd sourcing ... for a NEW CFC STRATEGY, is proof enuff!

Frank's CFL share is well timed ... LEARN from it!

Grow just a little more, Peter.

Comment

Peter, there's pretty much ZERO chance you me will ever agree on anything (except what you just read, ha!) so when I say that since the Chess Federation of Canada's founding in the 1930's ... chess in Canada has been FIDE/RATED/ELITIST driven.

Chess in Canada is NOT that.

Chess in Canada is all about folks meeting across a chessboard ... PERIOD! And to a certain extent an association with our game of chess.

So ya ... pathetic!!!

The CFC should have been socially connected right across Canada decades ago!! Yet, it has ALWAYS been driven by marginalizing chess to being RATED CHESS across Canada!!!

I know you don't have the Canadian social skill set to understand that ... and that's OK, Peter. But please stop for a moment, reign in your unbridled passion for all things CFC ... try to understand that the Chess Federation of Canada DOES NOT represent Chess in Canada.

It too ... as you ... DON'T have the natural Canadian social skill abilities because you and it were never intended to do so.

The mere fact the poor Vlady is reaching out ... crowd sourcing ... for a NEW CFC STRATEGY, is proof enuff!

Frank's CFL share is well timed ... LEARN from it!

Grow just a little more, Peter.
              Neil, do you realize that we've been verbally abusing each other for more than two decades? We've got to be coming up on 25 years somewhere in the short to medium term. So let me be the first to say, happy anniversary little buddy!!!

The fact that Vlad is asking for input from all CFCers in developing an updated strategy is actually a GOOD thing and clear evidence that the opinions of rank-and-file members matter to our executive.

My observation, just based on my own experience, is that most national sports/activity organizations, where competition is a significant component, have some degree of focus on supporting elite-level performance. So there's nothing unusual or wrong about the CFC being supportive of elite players. What you're arguing is that the CFC has the elite versus grassroots mix wrong. To expect a national, volunteer-run organization, with a relatively small membership base, to be all things to all people is unreasonable. Take for example softball. There is a national association, Softball Canada, and if you google them you'll see that they have a big focus on things like national championships, national teams, national rules, etc. Elite stuff! Softball at the grassroots level is driven by local people volunteering their time to set up local leagues and other activities for local people. And that's the way it is, and shoud be, in chess too. Look at Larry Bevand's thread on chess clubs. Grassroots chess is driven by local volunteers creating local environments in which everyday jack & jill chessplayers can enjoy the game.

So, Neil, instead of spending your time spewing invective at people who are doing a lot more for chess in Canada than you, why don't you get involved with fostering grassroots chess in your own community.

Comment

Yes he is.

from wiki:
                "As of 2018, Valdy continues to regularly tour across Canada, including a performance on the main stage at the Mariposa Folk Festival."

This is from the good 'ol days:
                https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ng_in_1976.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lonely guy Neil Frarey View Post
                  Nice share, Frank.

Way to go, Vlady!
                  As always, you get EVERYTHING wrong down to the most basic fact of when the CFC was founded some 150 years ago or so. Peter schooled you a bit but I am afraid that its a case of casting pearls before swine. Members of the CFL like to play chess. That is great. That is excellent. Chess is very popular these days. High level consultants want to work with us. The Candidates are coming to Toronto. There are millions playing chess online in Canada and many millions more in person. In just about every meeting I have these days many of them not for the CFC I am told about how popular chess is. There will be many more stories like that one.

Social platforms are not real life. Chasing success there is an illusion best left to the people who are comfortable there.

I and the people that run the CFC are, with the exception of the overloaded Bob Gillanders, unpaid volunteers with limited time. Partnering with the CFL which is a great professional league in Canada is not in the top twenty of things that I have to pursue and in all likelihood accomplishing the top five or ten would be game changers.

Comment

Sorry to see the level of invective which my 'meant-to-be-helpful-and-interesting' post generated.

By the way, Mr. Coxie of the football Argonauts had an excellent game on Friday, as his team defeated Calgary. He notched over 100 receiving yards, so evidently his return to chess was helpful!!

Where I thought the thread might go was, possibly, a direction where a Toronto master, seeing this football / chess connection covered in the media, might approach the Argonauts with an offer to expand their chess interest, on a team level, and on a paid basis. The Argonauts are part of the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Group, which is ultra-wealthy. MLSE also includes the Maple Leafs, the Toronto Raptors, and Toronto FC.

Back in the days when I reported on Queen's University (Kingston) varsity football for the Queen's Journal newspaper, they had a player named Bryce Ivanchuk, who is related to Ukrainian GM Vassily Ivanchuk. Bryce is also a chess enthusiast, and he and I played a couple of friendly games. He was quite talented, and enjoyed his chess!! He followed the career of his relative GM very closely!

Comment

Working...
                    X