DCC/BGC ReunionTournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCC/BGC ReunionTournament?

Just an idea I had. I suggest a five or six round 15/10 tournament. It will be for people who were actually members of Dutton Chess Club or Bayview Games Club, or participated in Vlad's bar circuit after the BGC folded. I have my hooks into a chess friendly cafe/bar called The Black Pony.near Coxwell/Gerrard. It's a nice back room that will seat 16 comfortably. We get enough people I will book the room. No entry fee, better that you spend your money on food and drink. Winner gets a plaque or something. Reply in this thread if you are interested.

Let's do it, could be fun.

p.s. Maybe we call it the 1st annual Vlad Dobrich Memorial tournament, or something, since he seems to be as good as dead anyways.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Wednesday, 13th September, 2023, 10:52 AM.

Vlad is still around. I get Facebook posts plugging his backgammon tournaments.

Comment

Oh! Good to hear. I have not been on Facebook for several years. I know he gets around a little these days, just figured he was retired from chess or something.

You listening, buddy?

Comment

If you want to see Vlad take a trip to High Park. He plays backgammon fairly close to where the chessplayers congregate on the picnic tables. But maybe only for the next few weeks when the weather changes.

Comment

It's a nice idea, Fred.

Vlad was inducted into the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame earlier this year; a very deserving selection. It would be fantastic to get a collection published of Vlad's best games and stories.

Comment

More good news. Vlad and I were pretty tight. I was with the Bayview Games Club from beginning to end, and also did the BGC website for him. it's still around in archives, Lots of crosstables, pictures, PGN, and stuff.

Hopefully people will like my tournament idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
              More good news. Vlad and I were pretty tight. I was with the Bayview Games Club from beginning to end, and also did the BGC website for him. it's still around in archives, Lots of crosstables, pictures, PGN, and stuff.

Hopefully people will like my tournament idea.

Speaking of ideas .... and speaking of Vlad Dobrich, who I heard was once a very active and well-liked CFC tournament organizer ....

I have an idea for a new twist on team chess. No, this is not a chess variant, the game being played is regular chess. It is just a new way to play it with teams.

Vlad Dobrich might just be the only person who would take on this idea, although I have no idea whether he would be interested. Maybe he doesn't want to do any tournament organizing.

But I would like to run this idea past him or any interested organizer and see if he might be interested. It would not be a money-making proposition, although I think it could and should at least break even and maybe make some money. It would be a true labor of love and some investment of time and facilities would be needed.

The upside is that team chess could be revolutionized the world over. Right now, team chess is ok, and just ok. It is just a collection of individual chess games. Nothing wrong with it really, just not so interesting.

My idea turns team chess into TRUE team chess. I will only share details with an organizer who is truly interested, given the advance information that it would be a labor of love. One thing I should also mention is that it requires the use of computers, which in this day and age is very much ok. What I mean is that each player is sitting at a computer and making their moves using the computer, rather than using a physical chess set. The computers they are using do not have anything on them other than the client program, so these computers could be old retreads, even cheap Raspberry Pi devices, running any version of Windows or Linux that supports Python 3.x There would also be a server computer connected by Ethernet to the client computers.

The client and server programs would need to be written, probably using Python, and I would gladly write them if I had an organizer willing to set everything up and try the idea out. I would not charge any licensing or any other fee for the use of the program.

But all the players do have to be at the same site, visible at all times in order to enforce a rule that there be no communication between a team's players during any team match.

Something just tells me, even though i've never met him, that Vlad Dobrich would be interested in this idea .... if he is still at all into chess organizing, or into revolutionizing team chess. But he may be too old (?) to want to expend the energy needed to do this.

The way it would happen is that the organizer rents a facility by the month, just a medium-sized room big enough for N client computers and the server computer, where N is the total number of players on the 2 teams combined (say 4 players per side, so N would be 8). The organizer sets everything up, then offers teams the chance to play against each other by charging them a playing fee per team and per match. Maybe the matches would only happen on nights and weekends, depending on demand.

I have thought of a name for this: True Team Chess (TTC LOL).

No player's individual chess rating would be affected, instead each team has a team rating. The players could have individual True Team Chess ratings, separate from their normal chess ratings. There would be no rapid or blitz, matches would all be at standard slow time controls.

If enough teams played regularly, there could be a league and a league championship.

Since I am not trying to make money with this, maybe I will just publish the details.... I have no patent on the idea and will not pursue one. If I thought it could be a moneymaker, I might feel differently, but I don't see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Speaking of ideas .... and speaking of Vlad Dobrich, who I heard was once a very active and well-liked CFC tournament organizer ....

I have an idea for a new twist on team chess. No, this is not a chess variant, the game being played is regular chess. It is just a new way to play it with teams.

Vlad Dobrich might just be the only person who would take on this idea, although I have no idea whether he would be interested. Maybe he doesn't want to do any tournament organizing.

But I would like to run this idea past him or any interested organizer and see if he might be interested. It would not be a money-making proposition, although I think it could and should at least break even and maybe make some money. It would be a true labor of love and some investment of time and facilities would be needed.

The upside is that team chess could be revolutionized the world over. Right now, team chess is ok, and just ok. It is just a collection of individual chess games. Nothing wrong with it really, just not so interesting.

My idea turns team chess into TRUE team chess. I will only share details with an organizer who is truly interested, given the advance information that it would be a labor of love. One thing I should also mention is that it requires the use of computers, which in this day and age is very much ok. What I mean is that each player is sitting at a computer and making their moves using the computer, rather than using a physical chess set. The computers they are using do not have anything on them other than the client program, so these computers could be old retreads, even cheap Raspberry Pi devices, running any version of Windows or Linux that supports Python 3.x There would also be a server computer connected by Ethernet to the client computers.

The client and server programs would need to be written, probably using Python, and I would gladly write them if I had an organizer willing to set everything up and try the idea out. I would not charge any licensing or any other fee for the use of the program.

But all the players do have to be at the same site, visible at all times in order to enforce a rule that there be no communication between a team's players during any team match.

Something just tells me, even though i've never met him, that Vlad Dobrich would be interested in this idea .... if he is still at all into chess organizing, or into revolutionizing team chess. But he may be too old (?) to want to expend the energy needed to do this.

The way it would happen is that the organizer rents a facility by the month, just a medium-sized room big enough for N client computers and the server computer, where N is the total number of players on the 2 teams combined (say 4 players per side, so N would be 8). The organizer sets everything up, then offers teams the chance to play against each other by charging them a playing fee per team and per match. Maybe the matches would only happen on nights and weekends, depending on demand.

I have thought of a name for this: True Team Chess (TTC LOL).

No player's individual chess rating would be affected, instead each team has a team rating. The players could have individual True Team Chess ratings, separate from their normal chess ratings. There would be no rapid or blitz, matches would all be at standard slow time controls.

If enough teams played regularly, there could be a league and a league championship.

Since I am not trying to make money with this, maybe I will just publish the details.... I have no patent on the idea and will not pursue one. If I thought it could be a moneymaker, I might feel differently, but I don't see it that way.
                Please stop quoting with worthless garbage, you idiot.

Comment

Another thread f u c k e d up. I hereby refuse to post any more on Chesstalk until this fool can be blocked.

seeya

Comment

Another thread f u c k e d up. I hereby refuse to post any more on Chesstalk until this fool can be blocked.

seeya
                    I second this proposal!
                    Fred Harvey

Comment

Pargat has as much right to post his ideas here as any of us do. And if you're responding this way because you think Pargat went off topic, well, going off topic is a time honoured ChessTalk tradition.

seeya
                      So long.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

You are calling team chess "worthless garbage"?

Comment

seeya

ISMO --

- he greatest Finnish export since ... Teemu Selanne?
                          - the genius who has figured out that the most complicated word in English language is "ass"

-- wants to know: what is a "f u c k e d up" thread?

How is it defined? What are the consequences? Will it cause another pandemic?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Pargat has as much right to post his ideas here as any of us do. And if you're responding this way because you think Pargat went off topic, well, going off topic is a time honoured ChessTalk tradition.
                            Thanks for that Peter, even if it had nothing to do with me and everything to do with the general right to post. Voices of reason need to be heard.

I am on many forums, under different aliases because many allow and encourage pseudonyms, and this idea of "going off topic" seems to always cause friction. How can a thread reasonably stay on topic? I remember the old interface to this forum where you could see a graph of the various sub-threads and so you could find your way to the main topic easily. We need that back again. But we lost it in the name of "progress". LOL

As for Fred H., I think he just wants a scapegoat because his tournament idea didn't get any response. C'est la vie.

Comment

Working...
                            X