Qatar Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qatar Masters

In the Qatar Masters, Magnus Carlsen got blown away by a 2500 player. The longer Magnus thought, the worse his position got

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...ers-2023/2/1/1

And, afterwards on Twitter (or X) he pointed out that his opponent was "allowed" to wear his analogue watch and he claimed that unnerved him so...

Carlsen said that he asked the arbiter about it (I presume at the outset of the game) and the arbiter indicated that smart watches were not permitted according to FIDE but analogue were ok. It isn't clear (to me) whether that was a local organizer's interpretation of the FIDE rule(s) or something implicit in the FIDE rules. The only reference I found used the word "watch" without any distinction. In any case, Carlsen's whining seemed a little over the top to me... looks like he just had an off day and he shouldn't really minimize the great game his opponent played.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Even better a smothered mate against Magnus! I'd be on the phone arranging a party - and then maybe retire from tournament chess - as it doesnt get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        And, afterwards on Twitter (or X) he pointed out that his opponent was "allowed" to wear his analogue watch and he claimed that unnerved him so...

Carlsen said that he asked the arbiter about it (I presume at the outset of the game) and the arbiter indicated that smart watches were not permitted according to FIDE but analogue were ok. It isn't clear (to me) whether that was a local organizer's interpretation of the FIDE rule(s) or something implicit in the FIDE rules. The only reference I found used the word "watch" without any distinction. In any case, Carlsen's whining seemed a little over the top to me... looks like he just had an off day and he shouldn't really minimize the great game his opponent played.
        So it's an Organizer's Fair Play planning, but the recent trend is to ban ALL watches, as there are now smart watches, even simply for aesthetic reasons, that look like very nice regular watches.

Comment

Comment

https://www.chess.com/news/view/2023...asters-round-7 Magnus has now lost his second game in spectacular fashion - and this time the buzz is amongst the Indian players.
            Kaidanov also won with the Greek gift sacrifice again Van Foreest (yes folks it still wins games at the highest level!) and as another one of his rewards he gets to play Magnus next round.

Comment

Working...
            X