surprise visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surprise visit

So I wanted to share.... Yesterday morning I was in my basement study and I thought I heard a knocking but my neighbour is always loud and working outside so I thought it was him. But on second thoughts Id better check. So I raced up the stairs, out the back door, and check the driveway. Nobody. I then thought Id better check the front door and went around the side and sure enough there was a big man at the front door solid type, dressed well. So I said Can I help you? He comes down the stairs and turns and its Mahmud. Mahmud what are you doing here? I have a big surprise for you its going to make you cry. Then he turns to the car and I thought he wanted me to come along and I said I cant Mahmud Im in my pajamas. The car door opens and a man steps out and Mahmud says Do you recognise this gentleman? No cant say I do. And the man comes around the car and says Its Cecil. Cecil!! Its been 50 years! We first met at a team match in 1973 and then the next year the seven day a week club opened in downtown London, Ontario and I met many university students there including Cecil and was invited to the university (Western)
    We played speed chess in the grad lounge. They were all university students with long hair, moustaches, some with beards, all drinking beer. Except for me - I was sixteen and drinking orange juice. Nobody said anything about that - we all concentrated on chess.
    Fifty years later I couldnt believe how glad I was to see Cecil Rosner. We had a grand reunion on my front lawn. Cecil's mind is still as sharp as it was then and his personality is the same.
    Later I was ruminating (I do that a lot nowadays) and I looked him up on the net and sure enough one of my favorite books way back when was the David Milgaard Affair and Cecil was coauthor. I never til now made the connection. Funny how life goes.

That's a great story Hans, thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X