World Chessboxing Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Chessboxing Championships

Two Canadians are entered in this event: Ben Gharbia Khaled (1227 FQE), and Ellis Steinberg (2058 CFC, 1928 FQE). Both appear to have won their first two matches, and - since they are both in the same weight class (80 kg) - they could meet in the finals if they both win their semi-final matches tomorrow. Apparently - the rules are complex.

The pairing trees are here: ChessBoxing (chessboxingworld.com)
    The 80 kg pairing tree is here: Microsoft Word - UNDER 80 LIGHT (chessboxingworld.com)

Matches (live probably starting about 9 or 10 am EDT Thursday) - go to Youtube and search for "spqer news" . Thursday will be "day 5". To ID the competitors in each match - go to a video and scroll with your cursor along the bottom until you see chessboards in the background. They player's names will be displayed there. Their boxing match(es) may be just before or just after the chess match.

(as of 4:30 pm EDT Wednesday, there was still a live broadcast at 5th WCBO Chessboxing World Championships - Riccione - DAY 4, Part 3 - YouTube )

Canada won gold! Congrats to Ellis Steinberg who won the U80 kg category of "Chessboxing Light" (I think "Light" is for newcomers - 16-oz gloves and 1m30s rounds).

If I understood it right - there is either a coin toss or someone decides whether boxing or chess comes first. A KO (not sure about TKO) or checkmate immediately ends the match. Chess is played at 5+0 with 4-minute "rounds". After 4 minutes of play, a bell sounds. If there hasn't been a checkmate - the players proceed to the ring, and the game is resumed after the round of boxing. Strategy - a player who is clearly losing (chess) will simply not move until the 4-minute bell rings (assuming he has enough time left) - hoping to make up for it in the ring. If no KO, judges decide the winner of the round (this does not end the match). Back to chess, and if the chess winner also won the boxing round - he wins the match. Otherwise - if some combination of the two results (there might have been a split decision (boxing) and/or a draw (chess)) makes them equal - they do another round of both chess and boxing. There is a limit of rounds, and I'm not sure how they break ties at that point.

Comment

Working...
    X