X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to FIDE rating regulations

https://www.fide.com/news/2784

Major points.

1. One time bonus for every 2000- player. New rating = old rating + 0.4 x (2000 - old rating). For example, 1500 becomes 1700, 1700 becomes 1820, 2000 remains 2000.

2. Rating floor 1400 instead of 1000.

3. 400 points rule has no limitations (now just for 1 game/tournament).

When is this being implemented?

Comment

From Jan 1, 2024. In 3 weeks many players will nor recognize their FIDE rating.

I don't like this proposal and sent a letter to FIDE a few months ago with my ideas - probably, without any impact.

Comment

According to some calculations, the total addition will be 37.000.000 FIDE rating points. Yes, thirty seven million...

Comment

Did it get an approval at the latest meeting? or it was not required.

Comment

It was approved by FIDE council.

Comment

On the new Jan 1 FIDE list I didn't see any increase in the ratings of 309 Canadian players 1700-1999, and there are still 234 players rated below 1400.

When the FIDE ratings will be increased to above 1400 will that prevent players from playing in the bottom section of a weekend swiss? For example, Hart House Reading Week has U1600 and U1300 sections.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                On the new Jan 1 FIDE list I didn't see any increase in the ratings of 309 Canadian players 1700-1999, and there are still 234 players rated below 1400.

When the FIDE ratings will be increased to above 1400 will that prevent players from playing in the bottom section of a weekend swiss? For example, Hart House Reading Week has U1600 and U1300 sections.
                to my understanding it was shifted to March 1, 2024.

Comment

Well then, CFC goes first in a small step.
                  For tomorrow's regular weekly update, CFC will take a small first step to combat the deflation problem.

We are starting on the shallow end of the pool, for those players rated 200-499 will have their ratings raised to 500.
                  This will include all players active in the last 2 years and will apply to both regular and quick ratings.
                  It will affect approximately 1,600 players.

Those affected immediately will be mostly quick rated juniors in junior clubs. But there should be a gentle cascade effect upwards thru the pool over time.
                  We will be monitoring the effect and feedback from the chess community.

Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

A question for someone: why does it matter (other than reasons related to money or some subjective idea like integrity) if there is a general deflation or inflation in the FIDE rating pool? Depending on a host of factors (e.g. the pace of entry of new, inexperienced members) won't there always be fluctuation in the pool's average rating? In any event, seems to me there's no such thing as just one FIDE rating pool. There must be a huge number of FIDE-rated players who rarely, if ever, play outside of national or sub-national boundaries. How do you adjust for that?
                    Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 2nd January, 2024, 12:10 PM.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Well then, CFC goes first in a small step.
                      For tomorrow's regular weekly update, CFC will take a small first step to combat the deflation problem.

We are starting on the shallow end of the pool, for those players rated 200-499 will have their ratings raised to 500.
                      This will include all players active in the last 2 years and will apply to both regular and quick ratings.
                      It will affect approximately 1,600 players.

Those affected immediately will be mostly quick rated juniors in junior clubs. But there should be a gentle cascade effect upwards thru the pool over time.
                      We will be monitoring the effect and feedback from the chess community.

Happy New Year everyone.
                      Some of those players will never win a game and should stay at 500. But for those who suddenly 'get chess', show signs that they are coached, need to have a quick rise in rating to match their strength. The present bonus system is good for established players, but maybe have something like 3 times the present bonus calculation for those below 800, and 2X bonus for those below 1200. Or add 1.5X for under 1400, 2.5X for under 1000? Would this realistically match rating to strength, or too inflationary?

Comment

Some of those players will never win a game and should stay at 500. But for those who suddenly 'get chess', show signs that they are coached, need to have a quick rise in rating to match their strength. The present bonus system is good for established players, but maybe have something like 3 times the present bonus calculation for those below 800, and 2X bonus for those below 1200. Or add 1.5X for under 1400, 2.5X for under 1000? Would this realistically match rating to strength, or too inflationary?
                        most of those players are probably only provisionally rated. I believe only established players get bonus points. For provisionally rated players, their rating can change quite rapidly if they start playing high rated players - although it is true that their first few games against very low rated opponents can be a millstone until they have an established rating

Comment

My understanding for the ratings change policy is:

- floor now 1400. Ratings under 1400 dismissed. Does this mean the formula is applied before or after the floor fix? If before, many players under 1400 will still having rating, now above 1400. If after, the lowest rated player will be 1640 right after the update.
                          - in sum, anyone who has been rating or trying to rate the lower sections of their tournaments will now have to re-think things. At Hart House, the Reading Week U1600 is not expected to be FIDE rated, since one way or another, it should have few to no participants in it, with a FIDE rating.

I expect most clubs / tournaments have their ~U2000 section be the lowest one they rate with FIDE, moving forward.

I also don't see any changes in FIDE ratings reflecting these changes. As per Egis, it's happening in March (?) - interesting.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post

My understanding for the ratings change policy is:

- floor now 1400. Ratings under 1400 dismissed. Does this mean the formula is applied before or after the floor fix? If before, many players under 1400 will still having rating, now above 1400. If after, the lowest rated player will be 1640 right after the update.
                            - in sum, anyone who has been rating or trying to rate the lower sections of their tournaments will now have to re-think things. At Hart House, the Reading Week U1600 is not expected to be FIDE rated, since one way or another, it should have few to no participants in it, with a FIDE rating.

I expect most clubs / tournaments have their ~U2000 section be the lowest one they rate with FIDE, moving forward.

I also don't see any changes in FIDE ratings reflecting these changes. As per Egis, it's happening in March (?) - interesting.

Alex F.
                            While the decision ( https://fide.com/news/2831 " The new FIDE Rating Regulations come into force from March 1, 2024") was by FIDE council on Dec 14, the meeting is not online on youtube. However it is possible to see Qualification commission meeting on Dec 12 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nquLRq8C21M ) with some explanations regarding these changes.

First the magic formula will be applied ("rating compression") - after that the lowest rating becomes 1400 (1000+0.4*(2000-1000) = 1400). To fix the lowest rating the floor is risen to 1400. Thus if the player plays badly afterwords and rating drops <1400 - the player become unrated.

Erik raises a great question about sections. I have not thought too much yet what we will do with Aurora Spring Open. We've U1700 (CFC & FIDE rated) and U1300 (CFC rated). Most likely only couple players will be with FIDE >1400 and CFC<1300 after the reform and we'll work with players case by case.

Comment

New fide ratings now has nobody below 1400. Players that were 1100 are now 1400.

There were 177 A class active players on the January FIDE list now 366.

47 players 2000 to 2099, now 51 (17 to 18 2050 to 2099)

74 players 1900 to 1999, now 138 (Sasha Starr unchanged at 1999, Alex Ferreira from 1882 to 1929)
                              103 players from 1800 to 1899, now 228 (Gordon Gooding 1809 to 1885)

132 players from 1700 to 1799, now 224 (Matthew Bergeron 1664 to 1798)

Comment

Working...
                              X