My First Contact with Chess by Bernard Freedman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHAPTER XIV "ABIE" YANOFSKY

In 1933, the Dominion Chess Tournament was to be held in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I stopped over for a few days to see if I could be of help. In a little while I met most of the players who were to compete. There was one very young local player, age eight, who seemed to have an unusual grasp of the game, and his play was beautiful to watch. His name was D.A. Yanofsky, generally known as "Abie".
    With expert coaching and some help, this lad could develop into a genius of the chess board. At least, that was the opinion of some of us who studied the moves that young Abie made.

Twenty years later, Yanofsky's book, "Chess the Hard Way", came from the press. In it he writes: "In the fall of 1933, the Dominion Championship was held....I gave my first simultaneous exhibition while the tournament was in progress, winning three and losing three games. Bernard Freedman watched my play, complimented me, and presented me with a chess book, inscribed, 'To young Abie Yanofsky, trusting this will help him become a great and modest chess player.'
    "One day in 1936, a stranger with a somewhat familiar face presented himself at the club and I seized the opportunity to obtain an opponent. The opponent turned out to be Bernard Freedman, who became a guest visitor and player at the Minneapolis-Winnipeg match. I won again and seemed generally to have impressed our guest. He wrote after his return to Toronto, that he was reporting to the Canadian Chess Federation to secure an invitation for me to play in the Canadian National Exhibition in the fall."
    Yanofsky did come and stayed at our home for two weeks. He played in both the Junior and Major tournaments, both of which he won. However, he did not play in the Dominion Championship at that time. His performance was so good, that although he arrived in a day coach, he went back home in a sleeper.
    One of the problems in connection with the lad was keeping an eye on him after his games were over. He may have been a chess genius, but he was still an eight year old boy. We used to find him with the other kids on the merry-go-round.

Comment

CHAPTER XIV continued

In May 1939, the Canadian Chess Federation entered a team in the International tournament, to be held in Buenos Aires. Originally, it didn't seem that there would be a place on the team for the boy, but a new plan was worked out so Abie would have a chance to get some needed experience. He played well and brought honor to the Canadian team.
      The four members of the Men's Team were J.S. Morrison, D.A. Yanofsky, Haakon Opsahl and Walter Hollowach. Miss Annabelle Lougheed of Toronto, was the sole representative from Canada for the Women's World Championship being played at the same time. In 1948 she became Mrs. Bernard Freedman.
      The appearance of young Yanofsky was a great boom to the youth of Canada who were interested in chess. The Winnipeg Free Press of Sept. 29, 1937, printed the story that Bernard Freedman had predicted that Abie would be Canadian Chess Champion by the time he was seventeen. The Secretary of the Canadian Chess Federation had given much credit to the youngster for the rapid headway being made in chess, especially among children. He said that hundreds of Toronto boys were inspired by Abie and did their best to equal his feats. But few people are born with such an exceptional mind, coupled with an almost instinctive grasp of the game.

Comment

CHAPTER XIV continued

In 1941, as predicted, Abie Yanofsky became Canadian Champion. In 1946 he was sent to Groningen Holland as Canadian representative in the International Chess Masters Tournament. Five Russians attended, including M. Botvinik, who was then the World Champion. In the fifteenth round, Yanofsky played Botvinik. It was a close game, with many intricate combinations. On the fifty third move, Botvinik resigned, after Abie announced a forced checkmate in four moves.
        The Dutch spectators were so enthusiastic about this upset that they carried Abie on their shoulders through the hall. The entire chess world heard and applauded. Botvinik was asked by a reporter, "Did Yanofsky, in beating you, earn the title of Master?" Botvinik replied grimly, "Anyone who can beat me deserves to be called Grand Master".
        Actually, Yanofsky does hold the title of Grand Master, well supported by many other chess victories. He is now a successful lawyer in Winnipeg and plays chess as an avocation.

Comment

CHAPTER XV THE 1933 DOMINION CHAMPIONSHIP

This event was being held in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was requested at one time to replace the tournament director. An incident occurred while I was in charge. R.E. Martin, from Toronto, was playing the strongest Winnipeg player and it was a very close game. Their table was surrounded by dozens of excited Winnipeg spectators and supporters. At one time Martin picked up his rook and placed it on a square which would have meant the loss of the piece and the game. However, he did not let go of the rook and realizing the error, he lifted the piece and held it up. All the spectators started shouting that he had to move it to the square touched.
          I rushed over and, sizing up the situation, I threatened immediate expulsion of all spectators if they made any further demonstrations. Martin was shaking and I feared he would drop the rook. Some of the spectators as usual, claimed to be authorities on the rules of play. I took out the official Chess Laws as adopted by the World International Chess Federation, known as F.I.D.E., and I read from the book, "Article fifteen: If the player touch a) one of his own men he must move it
          b) one of the opponent's men he must take it (with provisos) etc.
          Article thirteen: A move is complete
          a) in moving a man from one square to another, when the player has quitted the man".

Martin had not quitted the piece. He won the game and the Dominion Championship.

Comment

CHAPTER XVI CANADIAN NATIONAL EXHIBITION

In 1934, the Dominion Championship was held in Toronto.

Our committee applied to Mr. Elmwood Hughes, Director of the C.N.E., to hold this important event in one of their large halls. This was granted; we were given over one hundred fifty free passes for the participants and were told to see the head carpenter and advise him of our requirements.
            As we were going toward the automotive building where we had been given large space on the mezzanine, we told him of our needs: partitions, chairs, tables of specific sizes to hold clocks and chess boards. He looked a little bewildered. When we mentioned the word chess and tried to explain the game, he just raised his hand to stop us and said, "The only chest I know is this here.", And he slapped himself hard.

Comment

In 1971, the CNE Open would be held in the exact same location (mezzanine of the Automotive Building). Boris Spassky played - as far as I know it's still the only time that a World Champion played in a weekend Swiss. (Spassky finished 3rd - 1/2 point behind Benko and Robert Byrne).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                In 1971, the CNE Open would be held in the exact same location (mezzanine of the Automotive Building). Boris Spassky played - as far as I know it's still the only time that a World Champion played in a weekend Swiss. (Spassky finished 3rd - 1/2 point behind Benko and Robert Byrne).
                I thought that the CNE Open was played in the basement. A problem with the 1934 Championship being on the open mezzanine was that kids loved pushing the horns on all of the new cars on display on the main floor.

Comment

Maybe some boards were in the basement, but I played all my games on the mezzanine. - with the noise from the visitors and vehicles below.

Comment

I played in the 1971 CNE Open (Just before starting law school at U of T). Don't have a clue now where I played........53 years ago!

My War Story: I played Donald Byrne, Robert Byrne's brother. I got to the 40 move adjournment with equal material, in a tough game! I was to seal. I saw I was going to lose a pawn shortly after we were to resume playing the next morning.

I still had some respect for elite players at that time ().........I thought: I can't drag him back tomorrow morning, and he'll just technically win the ending. So I resigned, rather than seal.

Donald Byrne is the infamous opponent of Bobby Fisher in his classic "Windmill" game.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

I still had some respect for elite players at that time...

Bob A
                      Does your Democratic Marxism ideology now say that instead of the elite players ending up winning the prizes, these should be distributed amongst all the players based on their needs?

Comment

Hi Dilip:

I agree that there are some ways in which the "competitive spirit" is healthy for the human being.

Knifing your co-worker in the back, to advance up the corporate ladder, though competitive, seems a blatant misuse of this characteristic.

You fill in the list of other ways in which "Competition" is in breach of the Natural Law.......there is a plethora of them.

So.........yes Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, basic, should be met, for all, despite, for many reasons, there may be a limited contribution by some, by the "Community".

And here "Cooperation" must over-ride Competition. Even Darwin said that "Cooperation" was more important than "Competition" in evolution. It is not "Survival of the Fittest". It is "Survival of the Most Adaptable", and adapting well is by Cooperation.

And yes, Democratic Marxism does believe, in the sense above, of "From each according to his/her means, to each according to his/her needs."

And yes, one outlet for a healthy competitive spirit is ......... drumroll.........CHESS! I believe chess is good for the human spirit!

Bob A (Just got 2/6 pts. in this past weekend's Hart House Reading Week Open in the U-1600 section.....sigh......blundered a number of games......my competitive spirit is a bit humbled this morning. I am still not yet ready to blame this on being 78 years old! Just stupid.)
                        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 20th February, 2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

CHAPTER XVII CRITICISM OF CHESS MASTERS

Chess Masters are invited to give simultaneous chess exhibitions in chess clubs in all cities and countries.
                          This purpose is to encourage chess among the youths and weaker players. The Master plays at the same time twenty, thirty, or more opponents. The tables are placed in a horse-shoe shape with all the players seated on the outside, while the Master moves speedily around on the inside from one board to another, making only one move at the time at every board. He goes 'round and 'round until all the games are concluded. This should not last more than an average of three hours for thirty players.
                          A certain Chess Master came to Toronto on November 22, 1934. In my opinion he took too much time when he had a strong opponent. (At one time I recorded eleven minutes for one move). This led me to write to Mr. Leach, Editor of the "Illinois Chess Bulletin of Chicago", the following: "The chess masters should not be credited too much for the wonderful score they make. This refers only to a very small percentage of chess masters. In my estimation, this unethical method of playing simultaneous chess is more harmful than good, and is one of the chief reasons that the best players in the city will seldom attempt their skill at these exhibitions. As everybody knows that individually the professional chess master is stronger than his amateur opponent, but the only chance the weaker player has of evening up is by having himself ample time to consider his next move, whereas, the master playing simultaneous chess is presumed to play rapid chess, about a few seconds maximum.
                          "I am dwelling on this matter since it is very important and I would like to have your views on the subject. It might be possible to regulate this and establish some kind of ruling such as defaulting the game if the master takes more than thirty seconds or one minute for his move."

Editor's note: This is a hot shot, because of the truth of the statement.

Comment

The "certain chess master" may have been Sammy Reshevsky, who gave a simul on November 26, 1934 (Royal York hotel) on 32 boards - winning 28 and drawing 4. It lasted 4 1/2 hours.

Reshevsky also mentioned "Canadians lack the necessary power of concentration to become chess masters, and do not seem to have te proper temperament to reach the front rank in the game" - Toronto "Star", November 27, 1934..

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Dilip:

I agree that there are some ways in which the "competitive spirit" is healthy for the human being.

Knifing your co-worker in the back, to advance up the corporate ladder, though competitive, seems a blatant misuse of this characteristic.

You fill in the list of other ways in which "Competition" is in breach of the Natural Law.......there is a plethora of them.

So.........yes Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, basic, should be met, for all, despite, for many reasons, there may be a limited contribution by some, by the "Community".

And here "Cooperation" must over-ride Competition. Even Darwin said that "Cooperation" was more important than "Competition" in evolution. It is not "Survival of the Fittest". It is "Survival of the Most Adaptable", and adapting well is by Cooperation.

And yes, Democratic Marxism does believe, in the sense above, of "From each according to his/her means, to each according to his/her needs."

And yes, one outlet for a healthy competitive spirit is ......... drumroll.........CHESS! I believe chess is good for the human spirit!

Bob A (Just got 2/6 pts. in this past weekend's Hart House Reading Week Open in the U-1600 section.....sigh......blundered a number of games......my competitive spirit is a bit humbled this morning. I am still not yet ready to blame this on being 78 years old! Just stupid.)
                              A game of chess is certainly a fine example of 'fair competition'. Knifing your co-worker in the back is not, and hence it breaches the Natural Law. And while co-operation is good, the Marxist goal of "from each according to his/her means, to each according to his/her needs" works well within families (not all families, I should add), but gets progressively dysfunctional as one moves to outer circles, till one soon ends up with having to use one's energy in trying to snatch a bigger piece of the inevitably shrinking common pie instead of sweating to bake a bigger one...
                              Fair competition, like a game of chess, is what human nature loves and human beings thrive on!
                              Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Wednesday, 21st February, 2024, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Please guys - can you take your Marxist discussions to the non-chess group? This is a thread related to Bernard Freedman, and you're starting to pollute it.

Comment

Working...
                                X