Browsing books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsing books

Finally vacation time when I'm starting to read, more like browse, books I acquired over the year. This year was quite productive and now it is time to sort them out too.

One of the books is Checkmate - it is a a reprint of the old chess monthly chronicle from 1902-03. First it surprised me that the original was published in Prescot, Ontario. The magazine wrote about American and European chess life, had games, and many problem articles.

The index list an article on "Canadian Chess Players" - page 150.
    It starts:
    "The question was asked in a recent number of the St. John (N.B) [a future 1988 chess festival city :) ] Globe, how the best Canadian chess players compare with the average master players who take part in international tournaments"

Then follows the answer
    "....
    It would be needful for Canadian player to measure himself regularly with the first-rate performers to decide the question. Marshall, who is now reckoned as a representative of USA is a proof that a born Canadian can rise to the first class under proper conditions"

I knew that he lived in Montreal in early years though I thought that he was born American too. Wiki says that he was born in New York, 1877 indeed, and lived from 8 to 19 in Montreal -- like till 1896. Yeah, in those old days they could not check facts in a sec.

The article ends:
    "So the only answer to the inquiry is that, at present, the players resident in Canada would have no chance in a first-class tournament, but that given the requisite practice, there are several whose natural aptitude would promise most brilliant results"

Seems that the last sentence is valid up today.

Double checking with F.Marshall books - the same thing - born in New York. Interesting paragraph from the years in Montreal:
    "I then joined the Montreal Chess Club and developed into a strong club player. Incidentally, there is no quicker way to improving your chess game than joining the chess club." :)

Hmm, I think this might be shaken but still holds as well :)

A simple 2 move mate problem from 1903 by C.T. Anstey, Montreal.

The answer was given with the text: "A little one for the beginner to feed upon"

Before you feed anyone, you need to cook.

The below problem has two solutions (that's why it's cooked) - easy and harder.

C.F.Stubbs, St. John N.B.

White to mate in two moves.

Comment

I like the variation starting Bd4+, elegant. I didnt look any farther. Both problems involve key knight moves. My favourite. Very nice!

Comment

Working...
      X