Fide World Rapid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fide World Rapid

Timur Gareev won his first four games and his reward was Black against Magnus.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-rapid-blitz-2023-d1

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-rapid-blitz-2023-d2

Comment

St.-Petersburg (Leningrad) is arguably the strongest chess city in the world. Fedoseev (2nd place in Open) and Bodnaruk (the winner) both from there.

Comment

You could add the word still to be more accurate but it is remarkable and worthy of total respect. How many years has that been the case? This is a valuable historic fact.
          (how many years did you live there Victor?)

Comment

Victor, is Murzin from Leningrad?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Victor, is Murzin from Leningrad?
              Murzin is not from Petersburg. But Svidler (finished 12) and Matlakov (17) both from this city. Giri (24) was living in Petersburg many years (his mom is Russian and he is absolutely fluent in Russian).

I was living in S-P. first 22 years of my life.

Comment

So a real chess pedigree. Wow!

Comment

So if the top ten pl;ayers from St. Petersburg played the top ten players from St. Louis in a team match would you bet on St. Petersburg?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    So if the top ten pl;ayers from St. Petersburg played the top ten players from St. Louis in a team match would you bet on St. Petersburg?
                    How many are home-grown St Louis players even IMs? sorry but that how much I know about the St Louis :)

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-rapid-blitz-2023-d3 Magnus wins again.

Comment

Good point. I guess anybody can bring in professionals. St Louis has only one home grown IM so its no contest.

Comment

Possible top-10 line-up (all time) from S-P. Botvinnik-Spassky-Korchnoi-Kamsky-Khalifman-Svidler-Chigorin-Sakaev-Salov-Levitina. I don't mention Karpov and Giri who both lived many years in this city.

Could you even imagine similar line-up for St.-Louis or any other American city?

Probably, only Moscow and Baku can compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                            Probably, only Moscow and Baku can compete.
                            Adrian Mikhalchishin posted a picture of Lvov (Ukraine) grandmasters. Looks a contender for a prize place :)
                            Ivanchuk, Beliavsky, Romanishin, Mikhalchishin, and couple younger ones, then to add from older days Leonid Stein, then sisters Muzychuks.

Players from New York city should give a run to St-Louis - couple locals B Fischer and F.Marshall, some who came to NY - Steinitz, Capablanca, E. and Ed. Laskers, Kasparov (I heard he has home there or his kids live and he only visits), and some less known gms Dlugy, Benjamin, women seat with Irina Krush.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Adrian Mikhalchishin posted a picture of Lvov (Ukraine) grandmasters. Looks a contender for a prize place :)
                              Ivanchuk, Beliavsky, Romanishin, Mikhalchishin, and couple younger ones, then to add from older days Leonid Stein, then sisters Muzychuks.

Players from New York city should give a run to St-Louis - couple locals B Fischer and F.Marshall, some who came to NY - Steinitz, Capablanca, E. and Ed. Laskers, Kasparov (I heard he has home there or his kids live and he only visits), and some less known gms Dlugy, Benjamin, women seat with Irina Krush.
                              Also New Yorkers Donald and Robert Byrne, Rueben Fine, Samuel Reshevsky, Larry Evans, William Lombardy, Arthur Bisguier, and Pal Benko. Historically New York was the place in the US to go to play masters.
                              Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Saturday, 13th January, 2024, 09:24 PM. Reason: added Benko

Comment

Working...
                              X