Candidates - who replaces Magnus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Candidates should have commentary somewhere. So why pay to see the players?

Comment

Hi John, that’s correct, there will be commentators at the venue, broadcasting online for the whole world with a small delay for fair play reasons.

Why pay to see the players? In my humble opinion it’s like any other sport. You can watch on a screen and it’s fun, but in person I find it more interesting. Besides, at the venue, you get a chance to socialize with other chess enthusiasts, play strong players like GMs, and create good memories. It’s a question of personal preferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim Belcadi View Post

Basically VIP tickets provide a better experience for the attendees. They have access to a VIP lounge where they can enjoy an open bar, eat food prepared by a catering company, mingle with highly rated GMs (the seconds of the candidates), and the personalities invited by FIDE. They also have a dedicated access to a different part of the balcony. The price is significantly steeper by design to reflect these offerings, and the limited availability of tickets in this exclusive section.
        Thanks Salim, I'll pass on your respone to the two people I know who are considering going VIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim Belcadi View Post
          mingle with highly rated GMs (the seconds of the candidates).
          Did FIDE make contract with seconds? To my understanding, seconds barely show up at the tournament hall as they work or sleep when their "bosses" are playing.

Comment

You are right that in general some seconds choose to stay home, while others prefer to be on site, near the players they collaborate with. There are no universal rules and no contracts with FIDE as far as I know, although I could be wrong and the presence of the seconds could be part of the condition packages for the candidates. I am not privy to those conversations, but your question piqued my curiosity and I'd be interested to know how that works and if there are contractual agreements.

What we see at our level is seconds planning their trips to Toronto for April, and they get automatic VIP seats for the duration of the event.
            Last edited by Salim Belcadi; Monday, 5th February, 2024, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X