Denis Allan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denis Allan

I have been informed that Denis, from Hamilton, Ontario has passed. He was an outstanding individual. Whenever I interacted with him, I was totally impressed with his advice and comprehension of the situation.

Very sad to hear. Denis was a first class person. My condolences to his family.

Comment

Denis passed away peacefully at the hospital on January 22. Here is the obituary page: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...allan-11637674
      He was a very dear family friend and a remarkable individual.

Comment

Horrible news. I met Denis in 1976. We had too many interactions to recount here, chess of course, as we travelled to many events together, but the ones I remember most were when he mentored me toward something better in life. On one occasion, we were on our way to an Ottawa event, and stopped at a restaurant near Silver Lake, and I was lamenting that I was too old (early 20s!) to change my life course...he didn't lecture me, but told me his story of transitioning from banking to law, not graduating until his early 30s. He also put up with me - I dropped off the 1986 Olympiad team so I could hang out with my then girlfriend, which disappointed Denis, more so, as I drove his car a little more than he anticipated when he entrusted it to me (he even mentioned this in his Olympiad report). I recall him saying on Chesstalk once that he would tell all about me once I passed on...the stories he witnessed, those are forever between us now.

Brian

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	north bay.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	231403

Comment

The article above was in Inside Chess - a special article by GM Bent Larsen on North Bay 1995. Its about offbeat openings played at the tournament and he chose a game of Denis Allan and one of mine. Both of us were surprised and delighted when it was published and I remember when we next met we teased each other about it, From that point onward we shared some good times, analysing games together. At the Ontario Closed 1996 Denis was very complimentary about my chess. He took me aside and basically said Nows the moment, you should go forward with your chess, play more internationally, It never really happened but I apppreciated his support.

When I was a teenager, in my first years of chess, Denis was the strongest master in southwestern Ontario and remained so for along time. He played in 5 Canadian Championships in the years 1963 to 1999 and came close to the IM title at least twice. He was a force to reckon with over 35 years and peaked over 2400. He played in the memorable 1972 Canadian Closed at Hart House and in the 1975 Canadian Closed in Calgary, as well as the memorable 1986 Championship in Winnipeg.
            In my first years in London, Ontario I played in a couple of London, Championships with Joe Chrolavicius who later became law partners with Denis. Joe had an amazing chess library and through him I heard of Denis's chess library, apparently equally amazing. Denis was particularly good friends with Pia Cramling and Natalia Khoudgarian. Im sure there were many others but those two stand out in my mind.
            The last time I saw Denis doesnt seem so long ago but I guess it would be 15 years ago. It was a random, surprising encounter in a supermarket. Denis introduced me to his new Filipino wife and they were both obviously very happy.
            Denis Allan also posted over the years some very thoughtful and wise posts on chesstalk. He was particularly knowledgeable on Canadian chess history and the tournament chess scene.
            Rest in peace Denis, I have particularly fond memories of you. Thanks for those memories.

Comment

Really sad news. I remember Denis Allen from the old days downtown Toronto at the YMCA club and various Toronto Open and Closed events. I very clearly thought he was one of the strongest players in the area and he was always very cordial to wanna-be players like me. He was a very strong player - I have a distant recollection of him discussing a game with Bruce Amos (another of my idols of that era) and the insight between the two of them was mind boggling.
              Rest in Peace, Mr. Allen.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Very sad news. I've known Denis since the early 1970's but the last time I saw him was probably the Ontario Open in Kitchener in 1996, We only played a few times. He beat me at the Keres Memorial in 1975, I beat him at the Canadian Open in 1982, and we drew at the Paul Keres Active in 1988 which ended in a six player tie for first that included Denis and myself. Like Denis I began my chess in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and like him we both moved out to seek better opposition. Denis went east, I went west. Around 1974 Denis was back in Saskatoon studying law at the Univ. of Saskatchewan and I recall driving with him to the South Alberta Open (?) which he won. It was he who introduced me to the Accelerated Dragon which I used for many years. In 1975 Denis had transferred to Dalhousie where he completed his law degree. My sister and her future husband were also there and we had him over for Christmas dinner. I would say that Denis was playing his best before I met him, circa 1970-1972. He wasn't a big theory hound, but had an excellent tactical eye. He played many times on Canada's Olympic Team, usually as a reserve and sometimes I think because he was happy to pay him own way. But one significant event that we ought to remember was the FIDE Student Team Olympiad in 1971 held in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico. This was the first time Canada competed in this event and we brought our "A" team: Duncan Suttles, Bruce Amos, Lawrence Day, Peter Biyiasas, Camille Coudari and Denis. Canada finished in 3rd place behind the USSR and the USA. But we defeated the USA team and this established Canada as, if not a threat, at least a presence. I recall Denis' description of Bruce Amos' game with the young Anatoly Karpov as frightening--Karpov just saw so much. One last item that perhaps defines Denis' respect for the game and his class: In 1975 Denis got to play Paul Keres in the first round of what later became known as the Keres Memorial in Vancouver. The moment Denis knew the pairing he quickly drove home and changed into his best suit! Farewell old friend. RIP

Comment

Sad news .... I got to meet Denis while he was in Halifax at Dalhousie University and again at the 1999 Canadian Closed. He struck me as a very humble person.

Comment

Working...
                  X