Chess For Charity ... CFC's new program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess For Charity ... CFC's new program?

Chess For Charity is the Chess Federation of Canada's freshest program! A program to help those who are in need!

Well, it could be ... for the willing and the socially conscious.

How would it work? Here's a few ideas ...

1. A portion of each chess player's rating fee goes into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.
    2. A portion of each CFC and/or CFC/FIDE tournament player's registration will go into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.
    3. A portion of each CFC and/or CFC/FIDE tournament prize fund will go into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.

This will apply to all Chess Federation of Canada's physical over-the-board and online events.

Every other month, charity disbursements will be made.

Your ideas on how to make this program happen???

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
    Why not add #4 - become the CFC member ;)

Comment

What charities are getting these donations?

Is there a tax write off for thses donations?

More details required.

Comment

Hi Egi. If folks want to join the Chess Fed then that's great! But, this Chess Federation of Canada program, the Chess For Charity program, isn't on the individual level, it is on the national level.

Hey Gordon. We will have to come up with a list.

But I was thinking begin by helping folks with food. So something like the ... Food Banks Canada ... https://foodbankscanada.ca/ ... could be eligible to receive a disbursement from the Chess For Charity program.

As for the Chess Fed having a tax write off for these disbursements from the Chess For Charity program, is something that I'm not yet aware that they can receive. If I'm not mistaken, they burnt that 'tax write off' bridge a while ago. Hope not tho.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 1st February, 2024, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Egi. If folks want to join the Chess Fed then that's great! But, this Chess Federation of Canada program, the Chess For Charity program, isn't on the individual level, it is on the national level.

But I was thinking begin by helping folks with food. So something like the ... Food Banks Canada ... https://foodbankscanada.ca/ ... could be eligible to receive a disbursement from the Chess For Charity program.

As for the Chess Fed having a tax write off for these disbursements from the Chess For Charity program, is something that I'm not yet aware that they can receive. If I'm not mistaken, they burnt that 'tax write off' bridge a while ago. Hope not tho.

I heartily applaud these ideas. Maybe event organizers could even encourage participants to bring in food items for donation.

But I do see one problem .... could it be that most tournament participants are themselves receiving food aid?

Comment

Hi Pargat, thanks!

No probs if tournament participants are already receiving food aid because this program would work on the national level disbursing funds from the Chess For Charity program over to other national orgs doing great work.

So, if from the first idea mentioned above ...

Only .35 cents of every Chess Federation of Canada rating fee collected and processed went into the Chess For Charity program. Wouldn't take very long before all those tiny amounts accumulate to quite a large sum. A sum which would then be disbursed to whomever the Chess Fed has on their list such as ... Food Banks Canada. Food Banks Canada would then distribute their funds to whom ever and how ever they have within their own system.

All the Chess Federation of Canada would be doing with their Chess For Charity program is help to keep the Food Banks Canada's associated Food Banks shelves stocked for folks in need.

Also, I'd like to suggest that folks can also directly donate money to the Chess For Charity program ... whether or not the Chess Fed is structured to issue tax deduction receipts as mentioned above is another matter. I don't think they still do. But would that stop someone from donating 5 dollars? I hope not.

Only good things would come to the Chess Federation of Canada for having the Chess For Charity program.

The Chess Federation of Canada's annual Chess For Charity drive would be insanely awesome!!

The publicity, the street cred ... wowzy!!!

Might even encourage other Chess Feds to do the same!

BAMMO!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 2nd February, 2024, 12:10 AM.

Comment

As for the Chess Fed having a tax write off for these disbursements from the Chess For Charity program, is something that I'm not yet aware that they can receive. If I'm not mistaken, they burnt that 'tax write off' bridge a while ago. Hope not tho..

The CFC as organization has no mandate to work on such programs for benefits to other organizations. Though an individual/club you can organize tournaments with fundraising for any organization you want. Brantford chess club as an example with their annual summer charity tournament.

Comment

Chess For Charity is the Chess Federation of Canada's freshest program! A program to help those who are in need!

Well, it could be ... for the willing and the socially conscious.

How would it work? Here's a few ideas ...

1. A portion of each chess player's rating fee goes into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.
                2. A portion of each CFC and/or CFC/FIDE tournament player's registration will go into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.
                3. A portion of each CFC and/or CFC/FIDE tournament prize fund will go into the CFC's Chess For Charity fund.

This will apply to all Chess Federation of Canada's physical over-the-board and online events.

Every other month, charity disbursements will be made.

Why is it the CFCs responsibility to collect charitable donations and distribute them? Who's vetting which charities receive donations? CFC has enough trouble running chess without trying to run some weird version of GoFundMe.

This seems like a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

Why is it the CFCs responsibility to collect charitable donations and distribute them? Who's vetting which charities receive donations? CFC has enough trouble running chess without trying to run some weird version of GoFundMe.

This seems like a terrible idea.

I rather think you have misunderstood the point. The point is likely to be after the idea is bounced, Neil, maybe Parget too, can go on about how horrible and inhumane the cfc is (and I guess you get added to the list). It’s a troll

Comment

Don't like it. I don't think the CFC' should donate our chess money to charity. There are already promoters who run such events. Charity should be a choice. No choice for me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

I rather think you have misunderstood the point. The point is likely to be after the idea is bounced, Neil, maybe Parget too, can go on about how horrible and inhumane the cfc is (and I guess you get added to the list). It’s a troll
                      Just to set the record straight, I have no intention of criticizing the CFC if they take no action on this proposal.

And to David Ottosen's point, if the CFC did take up the proposal (perhaps for marketing reasons), there should be membership input allowed as to which charities their donations go to, right down to the individual donation level.

I notice when out shopping for groceries that many grocers now ask you at the cash register, "Would you like to donate $X to ....?" and I have seen some customers react badly to even being asked this question. It is also not a responsibility of grocers to ask for donations, but they seem to be willing to do it, so they must see some upside to it.

I believe that all these efforts to get us to donate are a sign of the times ... that is, of the growing income and wealth disparity in developed nations. So when even billionaires are asking their governments to tax them more, it is a sign that the foundations are crumbling and even the billionaires are worried about it.
                      Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Saturday, 3rd February, 2024, 04:08 AM.

Comment

I agree. Charity begins at home. No need for one organization to do that for another. Support the organizers that run charity tournaments like Brantford. I think I will try and organize a charity tournament too. Mind you ,everyone can donate outside of a chess tournament. We dont need prompting on that. Yes, things are not going well for many and the need for help is up; So help someone and donate to a charity.

Comment

Working...
                        X