Jerome Chyurlia (1947-2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerome Chyurlia (1947-2009)

The Ottawa chess community is deeply saddened by the loss of Jerome Chyurlia. I had the privilege of getting to know Jerome as a member of the 2007 Canadian Open Organizing Committee. Jerome's humour and hospitality will be missed. Jerome's obituary, as published in the Ottawa Citizen, is below.

Jerome Chyurlia
    CHYURLIA Dr. Jerome Paul (1947- 2009) Peacefully in hospital with his family by his side. Beloved husband of Ada. Loving father of Peter and Livia. Son of Flora and the late Ugo. Dear brother of Gian-Maria (Patricia). He will be missed by his niece Julie, his nephews John-Paul, Marc and brother in-law Ferruccio (Francoise). Friends may call at the Westboro Chapel of Tubman Funeral Homes, 403 Richmond Road (at Roosevelt), Ottawa on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 from 11 to 12 noon. Funeral service will be held in the chapel at 12 noon followed by interment at Beechwood Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation would be appreciated. Condolences, tributes or donations may be made at www.tubmanfuneralhomes.com

Re: Jerome Chyurlia (1947-2009)

Very sad news. I am preparing a post of a similar theme. I enjoyed many games and many apres parties in the RA fieldhouse with Jerome. He was good company.

Comment

Jerome's death is a huge loss to all who were fortunate to know him. He was a very classy fellow, an energetic servant of chess in the Ottawa region for many years, and always fun to be around in social settings.

Jerome hadn't been well for several years, as his friends knew, but this sad news is still a shock.

Rest In Peace, My Friend.

Comment

I remember Jerome from my Ottawa days. He was always friendly and he had a great sense of humour. He was a regular at all the Ottawa events in the 80's when I was there. I believe he also helped out organizing after guys like Doug Burgess and Terry Fleming stepped down. Sad news indeed.

Comment

Jerome Chyurlia was a fine man. In addition to his many services to chess---his work with the EOCA, his key role in the 2007 Canadian Open and Youth chess championships, etc.---he was a devoted family man and a loyal friend.
          His passing is not unexpected---an inveterate cigarette smoker, Jerome had battled lung cancer for some time---but deeply regretted.
          He will be sorely missed.
          Gordon Ritchie

Comment

Jerome and I were playing one time at the RA Club, back in the mid-90s, and the position was very complicated. Our eyes happened to meet, and he leaned over the board to me and said something about not knowing what the *@#$ was going on. I responded, let's call it a *@#$ draw and go for a beer. He immediately offered his hand.

While we were engaged in our post-game discussion another of the players carelessly spilled a full jug of beer all over our board. Jerome quipped something about us never being able to figure out what the *@#$ was going on now.

Jerome was a wonderful soul who loved life very much. He had a great sense of humour, and could listen with a very sympathetic and considerate ear. He was a fine man.

Comment

Jerome was a great man. I was fortunate enough to serve on the EOCA board with him and his hopsitality and kindness were unmatched. My thoughts go out to his family and close friends for their loss.

Comment

Rest In Peace, Jerome.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am planning to incorporate these posts (unless otherwise requested) into a condolence card for the family, which I will bring to the chapel on Wednesday. If you have any memories/condolences you wish to convey to Jerome's family, please continue to post to this thread. If you wish to provide something to me directly, please do so at trbouma@gmail.com

Tim

P.S. Here is a photo of Jerome being very officious at the 2007 CYCCC

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                    Jerome Chyurlia was a fine man. In addition to his many services to chess---his work with the EOCA, his key role in the 2007 Canadian Open and Youth chess championships, etc.---he was a devoted family man and a loyal friend.
                    His passing is not unexpected---an inveterate cigarette smoker, Jerome had battled lung cancer for some time---but deeply regretted.
                    He will be sorely missed.
                    Gordon Ritchie
                    Despite the lung cancer, I found myself shocked at the final news, with quite a bit of difficulty in putting my feelings into words. I realize now that since health decline over the last few years forced Jerome to step down from some roles, that I guess every time I saw him after that, that I would look for any sign that he was doing better. I just kept hoping that he was doing better, that he would get better, that he would beat it back.

I did not know Jerome as closely as some other people who have already written, but I have always been impressed with how much the way he comported himself caused other people to instantly respect him, and always trust him. Jerome was a wonderfully calm and reasonable person. I never felt like there was any kind of issue to tread carefully around him. I, and of course others around him, always felt we could just be ourselves around him. Jerome would always interact back with grace and dignity, and perhaps most of all, always seemed intelligently guided by the principle of doing the right thing.

I will also miss Jerome, and have missed seeing less of him since about the Ottawa 2007 Canadian Open. To his family and friends, I wish you all of the deep strength possible in supporting each other through this such difficult time, and going ahead without Jerome.

Sir, rest in peace.

Comment

I never knew Jerry that well. I was at his house only once, and met him at a few parties. But in 1999 at the last North Bay Open he was one of my flat mates at the student residence I stayed at, along with Deen Hergott, Halldor Palsson, Glen Johnstone, Jesus Nogueiras and some others. Jerry had brought a frying pan and a stovetop espresso maker and it seemed he was always working the one or the other. I think he got more use out of that espresso maker in those four days than I have got from mine in my entire life! And he never voiced a complaint--it seemed he was genuinely happy to serve. I think Jesus benefitted most from the meals and coffee Jerry served up as he ended up tying for first. And Jerry had some great tales to tell of his travels to far away lands. He was always good company.

I had not seen him in a long time and did not know of his illness. A sad loss. Rest in peace.

Comment

Very sad news.

Jerome offered many good games to my daughter Yuanling, when she was a little girl. One game they played in RA on a Thursday night in the year of 2003. I remembered he exchanged one queen with Yuanling's three minor pieces and won the game. Since that Yuanling got a lesson to understand some position a queen is less than three minor pieces.

He is also one of the good people in RA chess club who allow the under 14 years old younger kids play in the club which benefits a lot to Yuanling and other Ottawa chess kids.

We lost a such nice man.

Comment

I did not know Jerome too well but what I did know was positive. For example he gave me some money after the Canadian Open ended in Ottawa a few years ago for my prize! He always said Hi or nodded when I saw him.

I am especially saddened by someone who is brought down by smoking and particularly by lung cancer. My father had one cancerous lung removed in 1985 and learned to compensate with the one good lung which kept him going for almost 5 years when the cancer returned to the second lung. He started to smoke cigarettes in the 50's in the British Royal Air Force, and later in life switched to a pipe. Needless to say, he quit smoking in 1985.

Comment

My "day with Jerome" was the afternoon of the last day of the 2007 Canadian Open. We had a lot of interaction because he was writing the (prize) cheques. After the event, as the "thin red line" of help became thinner, he had to deal with a van full of chess junk. He seemed pretty level-headed, a man of action, and also willing to make and share a joke (albeit gruffly), despite the potential gloom of a finishing tournament. It was thanks to Jerome that the crosstable was posted in good time, despite the hotel cutting off our internet at 5 pm. That was because he drove me to where I was staying (where the internet was live, in the van full of junk that Stephen Wright helped load) on his way home.

Comment

This is sad news. Jerry was a true gentleman. The Ottawa chess community will not be the same without him. My deepest condolences to his family.

Comment

Working...
                              X