Foxwoods Open 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxwoods Open 2024

Hey everyone, me and a friend or two are planning to drive from Toronto to Foxwoods Open in Connecticut, let me know if interested in coming along. We're leaving on the 28th and returning on the 1st, will be missing the first two days. PM or email at mishivanov@gmail.com if interested. Drivers especially welcome :)

So Mike, you play in US instead of Canadian Zonal, which has the similar schedule. I can give you many reasons that it's not a good decision.

1. You spend almost 20 hours on driving (you can make 1000+ CAD by coaching in that time)

2. You spend 200+ CAD on gas or 100+ in you share it

3. Amortization of your car

4. Now more serious. You miss a chance to qualify for World Cup

5. You miss a chance to win a Olympic spot

6. Likely, you have more chess friends in Toronto compare to Connecticut

7. Hart House is a beautiful location, you should know it as a former UofT student.

8. You never play in Canadian Closed (if my memory is still OK). Try it.

Comment

All rational points and will be taken into account. I don't enjoy spending thousands more to play abroad obviously. That being said, I prefer playing against new opponents rather than those I've played for the last 14 years...rating-wise it (arguably) makes more sense since there were more people over 2200 Fide there than here, and I was lucky there last time, getting the third norm...Nevertheless, still on the fence so might decide on Hart House after all, depending on how things turn out.

Comment

Working...
      X