Queen's University CC Active report, and a little gem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen's University CC Active report, and a little gem!

The Queen's University Chess Club hosted its first event of the season, a five-round Active event, yesterday, Sunday October 25th. Yours truly directed. A good turnout of 15 players sacrificed study time in the midst of midterms for some fierce battles on the chessboard.

Results: 1-2 places Tyler Longo, Frank Dixon 4/5; 3-4 places Jon Farine, Nick Gellner 3.5/5; 5th Jeff Boyd (making a return to competitive chess after a long hiatus) 3 points.

Nick Gellner probably played the best chess in the event, drawing Jon Farine, beating me (when I hung a mate in one in an equal position), and losing on time to Tyler Longo in the last round in a winning position.

Here's a nice little gem for readers to enjoy:

Dixon -- Farine, QUCC Active (5), Oct. 25, 2009:
    W(14 pieces): Kh1, Qd1, Rg1, Ra1, Bb3, Bc1, Ng3, a2, b2, d4, e4, f3, f2, h2
    B(14 pieces): Ke8, Qh3, Rg8, Ra8, Be7, Nc6, Nf4, a6, b5, c7, d6, f7, g5, h5
    White to play and win. With a quick time control, I didn't record the game, and at this stage I unfortunately haven't been able to completely reconstruct the sequence which led to this position. No matter. From a Ruy Lopez Modern Steinitz variation, Black played for quick attack on the Kingside, but he had a surprise waiting for him.

Here's the solution: 1.Nf5!! Threatens both 2.Bxf4! (winning a piece because of the g-file pin to the unguarded R/g8) and 2.Rg3! (trapping Black's Queen, which had its retreat closed by the same knight move which vacated the g3-square for the rook. White won.
    :) :) :)
Working...
X