FIDE urges the Canadian gov to speed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Vlad for all your hard work. I'm glad that you have been working with Gary Gladstone.

Comment

CP24: If not resolved, visa issues could cause prestigious chess tournament in Toronto to be moved to Spain | CP24.com

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Hi Steff, why didn't you folks know about this complication from the get go???

Did not the Chess Federation of Canada make this visa complication clear to you from the start of your efforts???
        Hi Neil, I'm not working with the CFC or Immigration Canada. I'm just a patzer rated barely above 1000 after the latest tournament. :-D I know somebody working for the government whom I asked last night about this and they gave me some comments. I'm learning that Vlad pulled all the strings available to him and hoping for the best. I agree that this is not the time to point fingers. We can do a "root cause analysis" when this is done and over. I wish Vlad and the team all the best in this.

Comment

From this experience FIDE can strike out that chess teaches planning.

Now someone will need to pull a rabit from the hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Now someone will need to pull a rabit from the hat.
            We are working on it.

Comment

Vlad,

Glad you are on top of this!

It has been a decades old problem...

Larry

Comment

I am much more inclined, at this early stage, to wonder about government efficiency, than CFC efficiency.

Good luck to Vlad and the CFC governing team........

A very old, and from a long time ago, Chinese philosopher once said (We'll ignore the scientific vulnerability for the moment): "The sun always rises!"

Let's keep hoping to generate that rabbit!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Steffen Roller View Post

Hi Neil, I'm not working with the CFC or Immigration Canada. I'm just a patzer rated barely above 1000 after the latest tournament. :-D I know somebody working for the government whom I asked last night about this and they gave me some comments. I'm learning that Vlad pulled all the strings available to him and hoping for the best. I agree that this is not the time to point fingers. We can do a "root cause analysis" when this is done and over. I wish Vlad and the team all the best in this.
                  I aspire to be rated above 1000 these days, ha!

Thanks for posting your concerns!!

Vlady's got this!!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 3rd March, 2024, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Toronto Star followed up on the story: Russian, Indian players awaiting visas for chess tournament (thestar.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      Vlad,

Larry
                      I agree, but it seems like the problem is getting worse, especially with Canada's relationship with India. I posted the story on my FB page. I think we all need to try to apply pressure to the government. I think it is an outrage. Keep up the good work Vlad and Patricia!!

Comment

I will be doing an interview with the CBC today. Five days until the drop dead date.This situation can only be salvaged by an act of will by the government. In the neighbourhood of sixty emails yesterday and seventeen today.Countless text messages and WhatsApp messages and phone calls. People on social media are looking to assign blame. There might be time for that much later but my view is that everyone is doing their best. We don't need to accept the idea that this needs to fail because you didn't do something you should have seen on some government website six months ago. The world does not move in six month cycles and we don't have time to scour obscure web pages.

Are we or are we not a destination for major events? A Canadian, Isai Scheinberg, is footing the bill for this. The only question is whether we will see this event take place in Toronto or Spain.

There is no point in holding back. There is no next week here.

Comment

What Time can we see this interview???

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            Vlad,

Larry
                            I wouldn't say that I am on top of this. I am just doing everything possible to get on top of this, as is Patricia Gamliel as is everyone at FIDE (Emil Sutovsky, Pavel Tregubov and Maria Balashova who we have dealt with the most) and the local organizing committee (Aris Marghetis, Salim Belcadi, Anna Burtasova). Veronica Hitchlock our newest board member, Olga Mushtaler, Lyle Craver and other CFC board members have also offered support,

I have to get ready for the CBC which interview has been pushed back to 4:45 pm. I have to be on zoom at 4:40. We did a check of the camera and microphone at 3:50. My internet speed is acceptable though only 50% of the rated speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

I agree, but it seems like the problem is getting worse, especially with Canada's relationship with India. I posted the story on my FB page. I think we all need to try to apply pressure to the government. I think it is an outrage. Keep up the good work Vlad and Patricia!!
                              The CBC interview went by pretty quickly. I hit the points that I wanted to hit. We'll see in the next few days. They asked me to come back next weekend whether we have a good result or a bad result to report.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                What Time can we see this interview???
                                I saw the CBC interview sometime around 8:30 to 9:00pm. Not on CBC news website.

Twitter has yesterday's news on CTV and CityTV.

Comment

Working...
                                X