FIDE urges the Canadian gov to speed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG POSITIVE UPDATE:

Thanks to enormous effort by many people involved / offering to help, there's been tremendous progress, especially overnight last night! We're still working hard, and there REMAIN OUTSTANDING visa applications, but we can gladly report that many visas were approved since Friday!

The Local Organizing Committee would like to extend a deeply heartfelt thanks for everyone who stepped up so boldly!

GO CANADA GO !!!
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 4th March, 2024, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There has been significant progress on the many of the visas. I await an update so that I can continue the campaign. As Aris said there are many people stepping up.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 4th March, 2024, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        BIG POSITIVE UPDATE:

Thanks to enormous effort by many people involved / offering to help, there's been tremendous progress, especially overnight last night! We're still working hard, and there REMAIN OUTSTANDING visa applications, but we can gladly report that many visas were approved since Friday!

The Local Organizing Committee would like to extend a deeply heartfelt thanks for everyone who stepped up so boldly!

GO CANADA GO !!!
        Bravo!!! Also I enjoyed the drawing of lots for Candidates Pairings. I love Evgeny's sense of humour.

Comment

Not often that I am the lead in a story featuring well loved former world champion Vishy Anand. I had to pay a dollar to read it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/che...67ab2ffdb.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Bravo!!! Also I enjoyed the drawing of lots for Candidates Pairings. I love Evgeny's sense of humour.
            I was so pleasantly blown away by the great atmosphere at Pub Chess - if you're in Toronto, gotta check it out!

Comment

We are down to the last seven visas. Two are urgent ones. All the women are approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                We are down to the last seven visas. Two are urgent ones. All the women are approved.
                Thanks for the update(s) Vlad. I'm sure the many people involved deserve a tremendous congratulations even though there are a few visas are left.
                Hopefully the visa situation will be fully resolved and this important event will carry on.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I am 90% confident of a good outcome at this moment. We need one more critical visa by Friday to bring me to 100%.

Comment

It's looking good now. The only one is missing - Ian Nepomniachtchi, the winner of last 2 candidates. Vlad deserves a great appreciation for his effort.

Comment

Great thank you to Vlad and many others for the tremendous effort involved.

Comment

WTG Vlad & team!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                          It's looking good now. The only one is missing - Ian Nepomniachtchi, the winner of last 2 candidates. Vlad deserves a great appreciation for his effort.
                          I am just one of the cogs in the machine that is grinding its way through this issue. The Canadian Chess Nation. Sometimes it does matter who you have as your president and who you have on your board of directors. Even our newest and youngest member Veronica played an important role in bringing this to the attention of our politicians. Patricia is amazing. Olga was mobilizing her people at Chess in the Park. We had lawyers and immigration consultants offering their services and advice and contacts. Victor was his usual steady self. Lyle's MP was instrumental in getting a meeting for FIDE tomorrow. We have a great board of directors for the CFC. I am so impressed with everyone who worked with us to get us to this point. Gary Gladstone was brilliant at connecting us with key people including MP Kevin Vuong for Spadina-Fort York who was very helpful in drawing attention to our cause. Lars Lowther at the Calgary Chess Club got us into the shadow cabinet minister for immigration.

However. no time to slack off. We still need to run the last mile of this marathon. Two more interviews tomorrow and probably one on the weekend hopefully after we complete the marathon.Two more interviews tomorrow and a short seminar. Hopefully there will be more good news.

I did a short online seminar on persuasion from one of the experts on the subject, and author of many of the most respected books on the subject Robert Cialdini today where he went over what you had to do to influence people to do what you wanted them to do in situations similar to the one we are in. We were doing every one of them. Now I have read his books which I have in hard copy and on Kindle but it was funny that we were doing everything right in this situation like we were following his game plan as expounded in his talk. When this is all over, I have to re-read his books as its been years since I read some of them.

On the other side of the organizing committee Anna Burtasova, Sam Belcadi, Aris Marghetis and super sponsor Isai Scheinberg also worked their contacts. I understand that Vinny Puri was active in the background and the Member of Parliament for Brampton who saved a cricket tournament from a similar situation also got involved.
                          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 7th March, 2024, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Mission completed.

Comment

Mission completed.
                              That's wonderful. Congratulations everyone.

Well done.

Comment

Mission completed.
                                Now I can start sleeping on a normal schedule again.

Comment

Working...
                                X