Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    FIDE Candidates' Tournament Local Organizing Committee

Can we get a list of who the people are on this most important committee?

There must be an equivalent FIDE Committee specifically charged with the implementation of the Candidates' Tournament......who are they?

How they feel about the Canadian Process may influence a lot whether Canada may be a site for more FIDE events.

Also, they should get some public credit for the great job they've done, with the assistance of the Chess Federation of Canada.

Bob A
    See the facebook thread on the CFC forum or chess.com. They are identified there.

I have been dealing with FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich, Anna Burtasova, Pavel Tregubov, Maria Balashova, and FIDE CEO Emil Sutovsky on the FIDE side listed in order of appearance from my point of view starting with the first notice of the tournament on WhatsApp. Mostly I have been dealing with Pavel, Maria and Emil recently as the FIDE president handed it off to the people listed above. Anna found the venue. I dealt with Pavel when Mailli-Jade played in a continental teams championship so we were acquainted previously. I find all of the FIDE people easy to work with. Patricia Gamliel has been in the zoom meeetings and most email threads except perhaps the letter requests especially since the situation became urgent.

The local organizing committee includes Anna Burtasova, Chief Arbiter Aris Marghetis, Salim Belcadi also in order of appearance as well as myself though my role was to support FIDE by writing letters of invitation and handling media requests. I do not usually participate in their weekly Zoom calls. There are a significant number of FIDE people who have visas and will be coming in to manage the tournament from all around the world. Too many in fact to report here.

There have also been some email exchanges with Isai Scheinberg, the main sponsor, usually with the Pavel, Maria and Emil as well as Patricia. Mr. Scheinberg has had one or two phone conversations with Patricia.

Comment

Quite a team effort......thanks Vlad, and congratulations.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Quite a team effort......thanks Vlad, and congratulations.

Bob A
        Thanks Bob.

Comment

Vlad,
          I have always had trust in the sincerity of your efforts...
          Well done, the whole team!

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
            Vlad,
            I have always had trust in the sincerity of your efforts...
            Well done, the whole team!
            Thanks Dilip.

We have an inversion of reality here. The CFC Facebook and CFC forums have become a troll fest and Chesstalk is filled with reasonable posts.

Comment

LOL Vlad - twilight zone indeed! Congratulations to the thousand victorious fathers (and mothers!). You must all be beyond relieved. I am delighted to see Aris as the CA. This gentlemen has paid his dues in triplicate!

I am not at all surprised that this got sticky, nor should FIDE be. I had a good chat with Arkady in Chennai before the Olympiad got rolling. We spoke about the challenges for Canada as a host Federation - namely visas and, to a lesser extent, costs.

On a side note, is it just me or will the Candidates be more interesting than the WC matches?
              Last edited by Hal Bond; Tuesday, 12th March, 2024, 03:31 PM.

Comment

On a side note, I would place Candidates above World Cup and Title matches. Something like

1. Candidates
                2. World Cup
                3. Grand Swiss and Title Match.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                  On a side note, I would place Candidates above World Cup and Title matches. Something like

1. Candidates
                  2. World Cup
                  I think Victor nailed it! (as usual!)

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

1. Candidates
                    2. World Cup
                    Victor, is it because the Candidates have a greater variety of top players? Makes me wonder whether Magnus Carlsen regrets about his decision now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                      LOL Vlad - twilight zone indeed! Congratulations to the thousand victorious fathers (and mothers!). You must all be beyond relieved. I am delighted to see Aris as the CA. This gentlemen has paid his dues in triplicate!

I am not at all surprised that this got sticky, nor should FIDE be. I had a good chat with Arkady in Chennai before the Olympiad got rolling. We spoke about the challenges for Canada as a host Federation - namely visas and, to a lesser extent, costs.

On a side note, is it just me or will the Candidates be more interesting than the WC matches?
                      There should be more drama for sure but we can't really say until we see the world championship which we can't see until the candidates tournament has concluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post

Victor, is it because the Candidates have a greater variety of top players? Makes me wonder whether Magnus Carlsen regrets about his decision now.
                        Yes, more players and just more games. In a Title Match all spectators are subjects to risk that this one (even a very important) game would not be very entertaining.

About Carlsen - he rather has his problem with a Title Match (long preparation, one opponent - not fun) and not with a strong long tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

So Salim, no lessons learn from this insane late visa debacle?

Close to being as sadly amateurish as one can get.

Seriously?
                          I don't consider it amateurish. Maybe the difficulty in dealing with immigration Canada was underestimated, that's all. The lesson to be learned is start the process earlier, but would still need to be expedited, and the Cdn gov't wouldn't do it until the clock started really ticking down and the event was at risk. Maybe the real lesson is - don't hold these events in Canada if you want a stress free life.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I don't consider it amateurish. Maybe the difficulty in dealing with immigration Canada was underestimated, that's all. The lesson to be learned is start the process earlier, but would still need to be expedited, and the Cdn gov't wouldn't do it until the clock started really ticking down and the event was at risk. Maybe the real lesson is - don't hold these events in Canada if you want a stress free life.
                            Who needs a stress free life? One could only dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Who needs a stress free life?
                              Said how many 50-somethings just seconds before their fatal heart attacks.....

The most common last words said by people who die young....

"Hold my beer for a minute."

Comment

I had one Rickard's Red in 2024 so far. In my wild days I never thought I would buy my beer one can at a time and still it lasts for months.

Comment

Working...
                                X