Are you a better player today than you were yesterday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a better player today than you were yesterday?

Our beloved FIDE, increased ratings of hundreds of thousands of players on March 1, 2024...yep. as many as 85% of FIDE rated players will see a one-off change of up to 400 points added to their rating as of yesterday. Ahh that is a no-cost win-win formula! Hey I had a 1000 FIDE rating on Feb 29...but as of March 1 I have a 1400 FIDE rating! Yes...now if only I could play better chess :). Folks, I have been saying this for decades...you rating reflects best within the rating system where you play the most often and it is not the number that counts...it is how you compare within that group.

FIDE use to be a rating for players over 2000 however at some point they wanted to own the world and lowered their criteria...and lowered it again and again until it went to 1,000. National Federations such as the CFC had a rating floor, I believe of 1200 at some point, (I am sure Vlad...who I totally respect, can correct me on this) but they also went much lower when kids (beginners) became a major rating group coming into the system (Vlad please provide insight).

The Chess'n Math Association (CMA), Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization, which will soon be celebrating 40 years of bringing the game of chess to Canadian youngsters, has a rating floor of 200. Initial ratings are based on school grade. I had a parent who's youngster has played numerous CMA tournaments over the last year, came to me last weekend. He said, Larry my youngster has a CMA rating of 940...last weekend he played in his first FQE rated tournament and he got a rating of 1260! Obviously the kid and the parent love his FQE rating and they honestly believe it better reflects his true strength :). He played today in the CMA Saturday club against other CMA 900 - 1000 rated players and performed as expected within that group.

Chess'n Math has over 100 kids going to the New York State Chess Championship next weekend. This event attracts over 1,500 players! CMA is sending down a team of organizers and coaches...not to mention CMA sponsored team t-shirts for all and CMA financial subsidies for the top players.:). The organizers of the tournament (Continental Chess Association) add 200 rating points to the CMA ratings to get a USCF equivalent.

I know, one rating under the FIDE banner is ideal...but at the end of the day, is it a question of money and control?

Your thoughts?

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Saturday, 2nd March, 2024, 08:30 PM.

It does boggle, doesn't it Larry........

24/3/1 - My chess skill - Jumped!! Now FIDE Standard rated in the "B" Class: 1616 (From 1439).

USCF - was a 24/3/1 Adjustment - My USCF Standard Rating remained the same: 1546.

My Current FQE Standard Rating (No FIDE-tied adjustment yet) - 1517

My Current CFC Standard Rating (No FIDE-tied adjustment yet) - 1342 (seems a bit out of whack?)

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 2nd March, 2024, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X