Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swine Flu and a Ramble

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
    Both the federal and provincial governments have provided me with a list of protections against the flu.
    In a full page newspaper advertisement today Ontario advises 5 precautions: take the shot; wash your hands; sneeze/cough in your sleeve; handy keep hand sanitizer; disinfect surfaces.
    The Canada advice, which came in a 3-colour shiny-cardboard folded square origami brochure from the postman, included those 5 tips
    plus: If you get sick, stay home!
    & not touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something bogus about this,
    not for what it says but for what it doesn't say.
    It doesn't say that your basic front-line defence against flu
    (and many other illnesses)
    is to maintain sufficient supply of vitamin D.
    Then your immune system has the ammunition to defeat alien viruses that want to live in your body. Sunshine mashes them.
    This was once common knowledge in Canada: like all kids I took that yucky cod liver oil in the dark months.
    How has Vitamin D become a censored topic?

Is it related to Canada's absolute stupidest tax, the sales tax on vitamin D,
    which, by threatened federal-provincial harmonization, now menaces Ontario?
    A couple of things:

1) how does the Vitamin D tax work if you're out in the sun? Do you have to wear a sunshine meter? Will they embed it in your forehead at some future time?

2) related to "what they aren't saying": has anyone gotten sick with swine flu AFTER the getting the shot plus the 7 to 10 days, I think it is, that it takes for the shot to "work"? I hear about lots of schoolchildren getting sick, but no word as to whether they shouldn't have gotten sick because they were supposed to be protected.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      A couple of things:

1) how does the Vitamin D tax work if you're out in the sun? Do you have to wear a sunshine meter? Will they embed it in your forehead at some future time?

2) related to "what they aren't saying": has anyone gotten sick with swine flu AFTER the getting the shot plus the 7 to 10 days, I think it is, that it takes for the shot to "work"? I hear about lots of schoolchildren getting sick, but no word as to whether they shouldn't have gotten sick because they were supposed to be protected.
      Lawrence makes a good point regrarding Vitamin D.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._of_colds,_flu

It's quite possible the incident of swine flu in those over 65 is related to many of them taking vitamin D supplements for bone and other problems.

Are you writing from Canada? The shots here only started 6 days ago. There are shortages and I heard on TV last night they are now saying everyone should have a shot by Christmas. Although, they didn't say which year. The officals had expected a response like they normally get for the seaonal flu. What I am seeing is a response like I saw when the vaccination first came out for polio so many decades ago.

Considering what happened to the federal Conservatives after they introduced the GST, I'm surprised McGuinty would embrace a harmonized tax. It seems every time he wins a majority government, up go the taxes. Unless something drastic happens, I'm expecting a Conservative Majority here in Ontario after the next provincial election.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Both my daughter and I recently recovered from swine flu. I would not have known I had it, but there is a ton of it around (in the lower Mainland of BC anyway), and I see 5-10 cases every shift in the ER. So being an ERP, I got the respiratory tech to come down and do a nasopharyngeal swab just to see. Lo and behold it was positive for H1N1!

I was sick for about three days, basically a cough, and felt feverish/achy. Taking Motrin twice a day basically took care of the fever/achy part, so it felt like cold/bronchitits. Did not miss any work, played hockey as usual...Not severe at all, and almost all cases of swine flu are that way. I have not seen a single case requiring hospitalization yet, and unless the virus mutates into a more virulent form, no worries for the average person, i would say....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Hoshizaki View Post
          Both my daughter and I recently recovered from swine flu. I would not have known I had it, but there is a ton of it around (in the lower Mainland of BC anyway), and I see 5-10 cases every shift in the ER. So being an ERP, I got the respiratory tech to come down and do a nasopharyngeal swab just to see. Lo and behold it was positive for H1N1!

I was sick for about three days, basically a cough, and felt feverish/achy. Taking Motrin twice a day basically took care of the fever/achy part, so it felt like cold/bronchitits. Did not miss any work, played hockey as usual...Not severe at all, and almost all cases of swine flu are that way. I have not seen a single case requiring hospitalization yet, and unless the virus mutates into a more virulent form, no worries for the average person, i would say....
          I'm happy to hear you got over it well.

Would this story from the CBC be inaccurate?

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...s.html?ref=rss

Here's it doesn't seem to be going so well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1341072/
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Hoshizaki View Post
            unless the virus mutates into a more virulent form, no worries for the average person, i would say....
            Well, from what I have read your assessment is correct, I would say, but the problem is how do you know in advance that you are this "average" person. It appears that the majority of really ill folks are also fairly young and often quite healthy and robust.

Were I young and healthy I would get the shot just because I know there is virtually no chance of it making you ill, but there is a slight but real chance of the h1n1 flu making you very ill indeed.

As I am not young and not so healthy I would get it for sure except I'm 65 so they won't give it to me for awhile. I hope they are right about folks of my age having immunity from influenzas fought off in the 1940's.

On the other hand this isn't panicking me and I don't lie awake nights worrying about it. No need for anyone to freak out.

Comment

No, you guys aren't wrong. There is a tiny chance that a young healthy person might get seriously ill. We have had one in BC, a young mother. The rest of the people who have died in BC had pretty severe underlying medical conditions.

H1N1 is a type of influenza A virus, similar to the seasonal flu outbreaks we get from influenza A every year. Even the mortality rate is about the same - the only difference is that it appears H1N1 will occasionally cause a death in a young healthy person. That is rarer with the seasonal flu. It seems that a similar flu virus was around in the 70s, so that people in their forties and above seem to have a little more immunity than some of the 20 and 30 year olds...Also, it seems H1N1 is quite infectious, easy to pass from person to person.... Early indications being that it is more infectious than the seasonal flu.

There's no way of knowing, of course, whether you will be one of the unlucky ones, but I imagine the odds are similar (or better) to getting into a fatal car accident. Pretty rare really..I think everyone should probably be vaccinated, although by the time we get enough at this rate, everyone will have had it anyway!

Comment

Working...
              X