Lilienthal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilienthal

https://en.chessbase.com/post/he-pla...orld-champions A revisit of Lilienthal! For those who haven't previously heard of him, enjoy! Must be a great chess player - he has Tal in his name!

at the bottom of the article is another article titled "He beat Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine and old age" Well worth the read and a great picture at age 94 enjoying a smoke! and cognac!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      https://en.chessbase.com/post/he-pla...orld-champions A revisit of Lilienthal! For those who haven't previously heard of him, enjoy! Must be a great chess player - he has Tal in his name!
      Some years ago (20? 30?), I read a story about Lilienthal. I don't recall whether it was true or a work of fiction - maybe a chesstalker knows. The story took place in the late 60s when Walter Browne was well on his way to the GM title. Apparently Browne, like a lot of chessplayers, had the habit of playing blitz, etc., well into the wee hours. In the story, Browne is with some friends in a seedy Cafe where they gathered sometimes to play. In walks an older man, in need of a shave, coat a little threadbare. He challenges Browne to a game and beats him. Browne, apparently very competitive by nature, is determined to grind the older man into powder. They play game after game. Browne wins a few but the old man builds up a substantial lead. Browne demands to know the man's name. It was Lilienthal!!

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Good story Peter. I'll add that to my stories. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration Peter. Your story led me down memory lane in remembering my Miles storytelling session which I was currently writing about. Storytelling in chess is one of the best parts of the chess culture but unfortunately we dont have enough storytellers, at least actively sharing.

Comment

Working...
          X