Unbelievable finish In Canadian Championship Round 8!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable finish In Canadian Championship Round 8!!!

Shiyam Thavandiran in time pressure with his position looking desparate pulls off checkmate against Nikolay Noritsyn!!

I can remember when I played Shiyam as a very young junior. I knew both his parents who brought him to chess (Club and weekend tournaments).

And to my knowledge, since he started university, he has not been that regular a player, no? From 2016 - 2023, he has only 7 CFC standard-rated tournaments. That is about 1 standard tournament per year!

We seem to have some special innate chess talent here?

Bob A (Old chess warhorse)

Comment

Yes talented from the start. However I believe Shiyam played a fair bit internationally and also a lot online.

Comment

Nikolay Noritsyn vs Shiyam Thavandiran Rd 8 Big Moment Setting the Bait after 31.Bg6

Comment

Nikolay Noritsyn vs Shiyam Thavandiran Rd 8 Final Position Checkmate next move.

Comment

I was going to ask Shiyam if he set the bait with 30...Qe8 but then I realized no. After 31.Bg6, Rxf3 32.gxf3, Qxg6 33.Rc5+ its complicated but White's still better. But why not win the queen?

Comment

Shiyam Thavandiran vs IM Sai Krishna rd 9 Big Moment Center Pawn Fork - Game lasted 117 moves!

Comment

Adam Dorrance vs Shiyam Thavandiran Rd 10 Big Moment just before Shiyam played Qxa3+

Comment

Adam Dorrance vs Shiyam Thavandiran Rd 10 Final Position

Comment

Thank you Hans for your continued support and enthusiasm for my chess for over 20+ years! It was a great joy to read your reactions after each round.

To answer your question about my Round 8 game, I had played 30...Qe8 to avoid 30...Qa6 31. Rc5+ Kb8 32. Rc6. I was expecting 31.Rxd4 but was surprised by 31.Bg6. This didn't seem like the right move and I was able to spot 31...Rxf3 in less than a minute.

I'm not sure what Nikolay blundered when he took the queen but after 32... Rf1+ he paused for a few minutes and I could see he realized it was forced checkmate. Nikolay was a gentleman to play a couple of more moves and resign in the most picturesque position.

John Upper has invited me to analyze all 10 games for the Canadian Chess Newsletter so stay tuned for that!
                    Last edited by Shiyam Thavandiran; Thursday, 4th April, 2024, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your great reply Shiyam and I look forward to your analysis.

Comment

Working...
                      X