• https://en.chessbase.com/post/candid...-2024-women-14

Comment

• https://en.chessbase.com/post/candid...osing-ceremony

Comment

• https://en.chessbase.com/post/candid...t-2024-open-14

Comment

• https://en.chessbase.com/post/gukesh...andidates-2024

Comment

• I wish someone had told me that my tie was crooked but otherwise everything was fine. Now I know why most people don't wear a tie.

Comment

• Vlad, I think you did a great job of representing Canada and the Chess Federation of Canada. You have always stepped up to the plate. We are fortunate to have you!

Have you watched David Rubenstein with his tie issues...I only wish to be as good as both of you...but alas...I have not worn a tie in decades :)

Cudos also to Aris and the many volunteers and a special thank you to the Scheinberg family for bringing this prestigious event to Canada...a once in a life time experience for all!

While the last round of the candidates was happening in downtown Toronto, the CMA Ontario Chess Challenge was happening at the Mississauga Convention Centre. 625 youngsters and at least that many parents were there!

Francis Rodrigues, the CMA Ontario coordinator, with the support of regional organizers across the province, was the man who made it happen for us...Thank-you!

The Canadian Chess Challenge is a grade championship with the winners in grades 1 - 12 get to represent Ontario at the Nationals in Moncton New Brunswick over the long May weekend. I will post the names of our champions later this week. The Canadian Chess Challenge is celebrating its 35 anniversary! All 10 provinces are represented equally.

For more info, go to www.chess-math.org and click on Canadian Chess Challenge.

Larry Bevand
              Executive Director
              Chess'n Math Association
              Last edited by Larry Bevand; Thursday, 25th April, 2024, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Well they complimented you on a great speech Vlad and thats the main thing.

Comment

• Thanks Larry for stepping to the plate and reminding me to thank all of the organisation that came together to make this happen, Thanks to the Scheinberg family. Without them this would not have happened. Thanks to Aris Marghetis for leading the team and his incredible arbiter skills. Thanks to Salim Belcadi and Anna Burtasova. Thanks to Vlad Drkulec and the CFC team. Thanks to Olga Muchtaler and her support. And thanks to the incredible number of volunteers. Together they brought this incredible event off and made it a success on the chess world map. Canada stands out in the chess world once again!

Comment

• https://www.chess.com/news/view/guke...coming-chennai

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      Well they complimented you on a great speech Vlad and thats the main thing.
                      It is easy to give a great speech when you only have to talk for a minute or two and you know what you want to convey. I did not need to rehearse or even write down any of my speeches over the course of the Candidates tournaments or even the run up when we were chasing visas.

The reports offer a summary of what I said with some things left out. Obviously the first and foremost was to thank the Scheinberg family and Isai Scheinberg who made all this possible. Then FIDE who bestowed this on Canadian chess fans, and then the organizers and volunteers.

Patricia Gamliel was very important in this process. She understood the black box that is the Canadian immigration system and directed things like a great general. On my side, I simply put one foot in front of the other. Thought about what I wanted to say when the camera and focus was on me. I created a headline, "You can't have a Candidates tournament without the Candidates." which became a meme and was widely quoted. We succeeded and that will be what is remembered many years from now.

The tournament and its success on every level will only enhance our relationship with FIDE and everyone's perception of what is possible.

I am very optimistic for the future of chess in Canada simply based on the army of volunteers that emerged and worked together to make things happen in this very complex undertaking.

Of course there were some bumps along the way and the occasional villain but WE overcame them and if we could do this, what can't we do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                        Vlad, I think you did a great job of representing Canada and the Chess Federation of Canada. You have always stepped up to the plate. We are fortunate to have you!

Have you watched David Rubenstein with his tie issues...I only wish to be as good as both of you...but alas...I have not worn a tie in decades :)
                        Thank you for the kind words.

Interesting and appropriate that in one part of Toronto we had the world's elite chessplayers determining who would challenge the world champions of chess and not so far away we had many young Canadians beginning a journey that might someday put one or some of them on a similar stage. We very much appreciate the work that you and the CMA do as well as part of the fabric of the Canadian Chess Community.

Cudos also to Aris and the many volunteers and a special thank you to the Scheinberg family for bringing this prestigious event to Canada...a once in a life time experience for all!

While the last round of the candidates was happening in downtown Toronto, the CMA Ontario Chess Challenge was happening at the Mississauga Convention Centre. 625 youngsters and at least that many parents were there!

Francis Rodrigues, the CMA Ontario coordinator, with the support of regional organizers across the province, was the man who made it happen for us...Thank-you!

The Canadian Chess Challenge is a grade championship with the winners in grades 1 - 12 get to represent Ontario at the Nationals in Moncton New Brunswick over the long May weekend. I will post the names of our champions later this week. The Canadian Chess Challenge is celebrating its 35 anniversary! All 10 provinces are represented equally.

For more info, go to www.chess-math.org and click on Canadian Chess Challenge.

Larry Bevand
                        Executive Director
                        Chess'n Math Association

Comment

So what happens going into the last round? Super excitement! Why? The draw avoider is Gukesh because he leads by half a point so the other three must play for a win. Nakamura must win against Gukesh and Caruana vs Nepo, one of them must win to catch up. Like I said super exciting and draw avoiding!
                          Yes, we were incredibly fortunate to have the pairings and results line up this way, it was so so exciting!!

Comment

Thanks Larry for stepping to the plate and reminding me to thank all of the organisation that came together to make this happen, Thanks to the Scheinberg family. Without them this would not have happened. Thanks to Aris Marghetis for leading the team and his incredible arbiter skills. Thanks to Salim Belcadi and Anna Burtasova. Thanks to Vlad Drkulec and the CFC team. Thanks to Olga Muchtaler and her support. And thanks to the incredible number of volunteers. Together they brought this incredible event off and made it a success on the chess world map. Canada stands out in the chess world once again!
                            Thank you Hans.

Comment

Working...
                            X