Canadian Zonal Open Regularised PGN (attn Hugh Brodie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Zonal Open Regularised PGN (attn Hugh Brodie)

I have taken the trouble to regularise the format of the PGN file compiled on Lichess, including making sure the player names match FIDE records or are otherwise consistent. (It is possible I will find a couple cases I've missed after my automatic scan runs overnight.) I have also inserted Elo ratings and FIDE IDs for all players in the first round (or their first game played). If a Canadian national rating is shown at Chess-Results, then I have used it---in all case, those were higher than the players' FIDE ratings, often significantly. I have eliminated Lichess URLs and the UTCDate, UTCTime, and Board fields, the last in favor of [Round "1.1"], [Round "1.2"] etc. format with the same board-pairings order shown at Chess-Results.

https://cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/chess...penMar2024.pgn

The games on boards 22--24 in Round 6 have empty bodies, and the game Abrahams-Barron on board 23 in round 8 is missing altogether. I have noted those and some related issues on Lichess. Round 9 was incomplete when I pulled the file. I hope this helps Hugh (Brodie) assemble the file after tomorrow's round is added. This was originally intended as a mitzvah to repay 90 minutes of sleep I cost Mark Crowther over the Reykjavik Open last week, but it wound up taking me far longer than that.
    Last edited by Kenneth Regan; Tuesday, 2nd April, 2024, 01:28 AM. Reason: One more bit of info about round 9

In fact, there were still 5 uncaught name glitches. Fixed now.

Comment

Thanks, Ken. Will you be taking care of round 10 as well? For the Women's, I will probably wait for the scoresheets - unless someone is entering them there.

Comment

Hi, my team's current plan is to get all score sheets of all games entered by Thursday evening.

We are going to prioritize the prizes first.

We can also go back and enter the titles and FIDE IDs if that makes things easier.

Cheers,
        Victor

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Zheng View Post
          Hi, my team's current plan is to get all score sheets of all games entered by Thursday evening.

We are going to prioritize the prizes first.

We can also go back and enter the titles and FIDE IDs if that makes things easier.

Cheers,
          Victor
          You can create easily the PGN file with the Swiss-Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Thanks, Ken. Will you be taking care of round 10 as well? For the Women's, I will probably wait for the scoresheets - unless someone is entering them there.
            I will do the Women's too---it got rather late---and will incorporate additions to round 9 as well as round 10. Glad I saved you redundant trouble---and thanks again, your continued collecting through the pandemic has been really useful on occasion.

Comment

I am holding off my April 1 update of CanBase until I get all (most?) of the games played in a number of Canadian events over Easter weekend.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm

Comment

I have now made a regularised Women's file too: https://cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/chess...menMar2024.pgn

Besides my needing to fix names in the file for consistency, there is a discrepancy between "Laksshana, Deepak" on Chess-Results and the official FIDE name Deepak, Laksshana. Games 5.11 and 6.16 are missing/incomplete (I have filled in the presumed players), and rounds 8 and 9 are incomplete.

I have also updated my file https://cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/chess...penMar2024.pgn with the available games from round 10 and two games in rounds 7 and 8 whose bodies appeared (plus three more little fixes I was given privately), but games 6.22--6.24 are still missing. Round 9 is also incomplete---I see the later games in both sections will be typed up by Thu. evening (my thanks for that); it will be less difficult to port them to this format than it was to supply the ratings and Fide IDs for every player in round 1 and keep the names consistent.

Comment

Good job, Ken! I will wait until the weekend to do my April 1 update - hoping that the remaining games will be available by them (keep me updated).
                  Some games are missing ratings - I will fix that.

I am assuming that "Roshini p" is actually "Poorna Prakash, Roshini" (FIDE ID: 5059305).
                  "Mills, Morgen", not "Mills, Morgan" (a trans-gender situation).

Standardizing Indian and Chinese names is always a challenge. For Indian names, I use whatever format is on the CFC rating list, such as "Sai Krishna, GV" or "Deepak, Laksshana".
                  Chinese names - if there is an "English" name available, I will usually use it alone - e.g. "Jiang, Hancy" (rather than "Jiang, Hanxi (Hancy)", or "Wang, Rachel" (rather than "Wang, Rachel Zihan").
                  "Yang, Jingyun (Ryan)" will be left as is, since there is another very active player "Yang, Ryan".
                  When available - I check to see how they sign their scoresheets.
                  Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Thursday, 4th April, 2024, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Dear Hugh, thanks again. The FIDE profile says "Roshini.p" and that's how she appears in the downloaded FIDE March rating list:
                    5059305 Roshini.p CAN F ACM 1761 0 20 1994 w
                    However, if my scripts have the WhiteFideId and BlackFideId fields (at least in the player's first game) then the name is secondary. I go with what FIDE has in case of not---including parentheticals like "(Hancy)", and "(ryan)" being lowercase. The grey areas for me are changing the backtick in D`souza to normal apostrophe when that's how the player writes the name, so D'Souza (and Tom O'Gorman, Marc'Andria Maurizzi etc.), and when FIDE has the name without a comma: "Sai Krishna G V", "Mahip Singh". Anyway, this is just for my own database.

You're right: I missed one "Morgan" in a column of "Morgen"s. Fixed now.

Comment

I caught the update to the Woman's Zonal and have incorporated it. I've also remembered to strip out the TimeControl, Variant, Board, Annotator, UTCTime, and UTCDate fields like I did for the Zonal Open. So https://cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/chess...menMar2024.pgn can be regarded as final now.

I see the three missing games in round 6 and all games of round 9 have been added to the Zonal Open, but some games in round 10 are still extant. I will catch it in the morning.

Comment

One Women's game still has a result of "Line" (6.16 Ambilwade-Mok). The crosstable shows it as a draw, but the final position is clearly winning for White.

Comment

Hi, that game has been updated on lichess as I think we hadn't fixed it earlier, link: https://lichess.org/broadcast/2024-c...WLyQ2/GLWEjVa7.

We've also updated all games now for both Women's and Open. The items missing I think we've gone back and fixed. Please let me know if anything is off.

Comment

It looks like I have all the games from both events. The board numbers in Lichess don't always match those in Chess-results. I am giving Chess-results priority.

One ambiguous result: 6:30 (Yang-Marin). Lichess reports a draw; Chess-results reports a win for White. The final position is winning for White. I have assumed a 1-0 result.

I will include the games in my CanBase update this weekend.

Comment

Hi, Hugh---I have also updated my file. Thanks for catching the result of game 6.30; I have incorporated that as the last change.
                              https://cse.buffalo.edu/~regan/chess...penMar2024.pgn
                              My thanks also to the organizers for collecting all the games. These may be a very useful geographical data point.

Comment

Working...
                              X