Last Call: Join 2024 Canadian Juniors At Excelsior!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Call: Join 2024 Canadian Juniors At Excelsior!

Dear Chess Enthusiasts,

The clock is ticking! The 2024 Canadian Juniors Championship, hosted by Excelsior Chess Club from April 10-14, is your platform to shine and potentially represent on an international level.

Event Essentials:
    • Dates: Kick-off on April 10 @ 6pm, with rounds on April 11 & 12 @ 6pm, and final games on April 13 & 14 @ 10am and 3pm.

Why Participate?
    • Step onto the Global Stage: A win here could lead to the World Junior Chess Championship.
    • Guided by Experts: Chief Arbiter IA Hal Bond ensures fairness and professionalism.
    • For Every Junior Player: With multiple sections, find your competitive fit.
    • Win Big: Trophies, medals, and two $2,500 prizes for top winners.

Registration Fees:
    • Open: $150
    • U1800: $130
    • U1500: $110
    • U1000: $100

Don't let this chance slip away. Register now for 2024 Canadian Juniors Championship and make your mark.

Looking forward to your participation,

The Excelsior Chess Club Team

What's happened to the Canadian Junior in recent years? There are 45 2200+ rated juniors (20 of them in the GTA) in Canada, and only two have registered this year.

In the "good old days", the Junior was a invitational round-robin event, with players across Canada. Nowadays - any junior can enter - even with a 600 rating. Has the CYCC taken over in prestige?

Comment

Hi Hugh,

The world has changed and us folks from the ''the "good old days" have to adapt.

The new World has Canadian youngsters playing in different World Championship events all year long...many events have been created by FIDE to profit from parents wanting to have their kids taking part in a ''World' Chess Competition".

Imagine the bragging rights that come with that!

When CMA (organized by Francis for the CMA in 2012 to celebrate our 20th anniversary in Toronto) we did it the old way...invited only the best...no entry fees...money to the Worlds etc. Those days are gone.

Today it is simply...how do we monetize these events. As David O would say...don't leave money on the table...FIDE led and now National Federations have followed in their footsteps. I use to think this was a bad thing. Today, I am not so sure. Financially, everyone wins (except perhaps the parents, but the ones who have the money don't care and those who don't - well...tough).

Hugh, we should get together and sponsor a Canadian Junior the old way...CMA celebrates its 40th Anniversary in 2025...let's celebrate excellence together at the same time!

Or..maybe we are the ones who have to accept the new reality...you know CMA organizes numerous day chess camps in Montreal every year...believe it or not...every kid gets a medal at the end of the week!

Larry
      Last edited by Larry Bevand; Saturday, 6th April, 2024, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Excelsior has devoted a very generous prize fund to this tournament and I am sure they are asking the same question about those who have yet to register! I often share your cynicism about the world of chess Larry, but those youngsters who are playing around the world are enriching their lives and the global village thanks to our beautiful game.

On behalf of my good friends at Excelsior I reach out to our unregistered Juniors to join us at this year's national championship. It starts in just 3 days!

Comment

Working...
        X