Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zonal Wars in FIDE

The Zonal Wars;
    Another point of interest at the FIDE Congress this year was India’s request for zonehood, which reopened the question of zonal restructuring. Naturally Canada gets jumpy whenever this question comes up because we are by far the weakest single country zone and some would have us lumped in with other Federations.
    The question of our zonal origins is one which I have been exploring since September. The current concensus is that John Prentice was one of the architects as late as the early 60s. My colleague Mikko Markkula of Finland is quite a FIDE historian and he is also looking for me. In any case the FIDE handbook discusses some predictable criteria for new zonal applications, but nothing for removals. Eventually this recurring question becomes annoying.

Considerable time was spent preparing for this battle before boarding any planes. The last piece of the puzzle was confirmed soon after arriving at the Congress – our Continent opposes any radical change to its zonal structure. That gave me a little traction for occasional counterattacks:

I was leaving the dinner hall on arrival day when I saw Deputy President Makropuolous (Makro) and Boris Kutin. Makro extends his hand.

“Ahh, the killer without a licence, 007. How are you Mr. Bond? So you are here to save the Canadian Zone?”

“Yes I am! Actually we are proposing a second Canadian Zone for east and west.”

Kutin chimes in as he reaches for a butter knife “Please, I’m eating.” We laugh.

“Enjoy your meal Gentlemen.”

Sipping his coffee, Bond turned to leave, when his left hand darted across Kutin’s throat, choking the European Continental President instantly with his own shirt collar. Boris slumped in his chair. “He’ll be fine Makro. C’mon- he went for the knife. So we’re ok with Zone 2.2 right? ” The Deputy President nodded sheepishly as the Canadian walked out. Women’s World Champion Alexandra Kosteniuk looked on, a knowing smile ....

Ok maybe I made up that last part.

You get the idea. Ultimately it was our Continental position which prevailed and the highly anticipated report on zonal restructuring was effectively tabled. Given the FIDE election on the horizon in 2010 we won’t return to the issue sooner than 2 years from now. As I told the Governors, I hope this serves as a wake up call for Canada and that we embrace the challenge of raising our profile within FIDE.

Re: Zonal Wars in FIDE

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
    As I told the Governors, I hope this serves as a wake up call for Canada and that we embrace the challenge of raising our profile within FIDE.
    Does that mean raising our organisational standards for our Zonal championship and making sure that year in and year out we have a decently funded representative at the World Junior, among other things ?

Comment

The reason we are a zone is simple enough: geography. The reason we will remain a zone is the same: geography, but not necessarily ours. IF Canada were to be part of some other zone, with whom would our hips become joined? USA? Not on your bippy. They don't want to lose their zonal status. Also, two nation zones are anathema because, if push comes to shove, there is no tiebreaking vote. Bermuda, Bahamas...? And to be fair to our Bilingual status, Haiti. Well, maybe, but I doubt it. Iceland? They like to think they're part of Europe.

So our salvation as a zone is not how wonderful we are, but that nobody really wants us. We are good garbage.

How about a circum-polar zone of Faeroe Islands, Scotland, Canada? Fugly, but about as workable as any other suggestion I've seen.

It would be nice, some day, to act our size and age (that's +1 for Jean's comment).

Comment

Thanks to Hal for his interesting report, and to Jean and Jonathan for their incisive and important comments.

The question of our Zonal status within FIDE may come up again within two years, but will the CFC still exist in two years!? I don't think that is necessarily assured; I'm hoping it will exist in 2011 and be more successful and prosperous than it is now.

As a fail-safe, I think Canada should invite Greenland into our zone! They have some of the same problems we do: small population which is widely distributed, a large land mass, much of which is covered with ice and snow; and a summer which is too short. Wait now, is Greenland a member of FIDE!?
        :) :) :)

Comment

Good synopsis Jonathan, but we have lost some cred in the past few years by not attending the Congresses and general lethargy in the eyes of many in FIDE, so blending us with some Caribbean mix was definitely on the table.

I could not stand to see matters made worse by showing up without zonal results for the World Cup this year Jean. The list of ways to improve is long indeed. We need everybody to pitch in.

Comment

Wait now, is Greenland a member of FIDE!?
            Greenland is not a FIDE member, and does not appear to be a member of the ECU (European Chess Union). The Greenland Chess Federation was formed in 2003, but there is no indication that it has done anything since. This was shortly after Luke McShane (ENG) won what was supposedly the only master-level event ever held in Greenland.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              I could not stand to see matters made worse by showing up without zonal results for the World Cup this year Jean. The list of ways to improve is long indeed. We need everybody to pitch in.
              Touche! With a mere 6 words, you have pierced the armour of your chief antagonist more deftly than anyone else could. Hopefully he gets the message and loses some of his elitism, for the cause!

You are, indeed, licensed to kill, Mr. Bond.
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Wouldn't merging with the US zone be beneficial to chess in Canada? It would allow our top players to gain experience against a higher level of competition, and thereby to improve their game.. Plus it might encourage greater participation of US players in Canadian events and vice versa. In fact, I've thought for a long time that becoming affiliated with the USCF would be a good step for the CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                  Wouldn't merging with the US zone be beneficial to chess in Canada? It would allow our top players to gain experience against a higher level of competition, and thereby to improve their game.. Plus it might encourage greater participation of US players in Canadian events and vice versa. In fact, I've thought for a long time that becoming affiliated with the USCF would be a good step for the CFC.
                  And inherit their legal problems? :( Very bad idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    And inherit their legal problems? :( Very bad idea!!
                    Hmmm, how about we trade Jean Hebert to U.S. for Sofia Polgar and a lawyer to be named later?

If they balk, throw in Carl Bilodeau. Their lawyers will be SALIVATING!
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post

I think Hal was moreso referring to the fact that the USA would never want to take us since it diminishes their own status from a single-country zone.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        The reason we are a zone is simple enough: geography. The reason we will remain a zone is the same: geography, but not necessarily ours. IF Canada were to be part of some other zone, with whom would our hips become joined? USA? Not on your bippy. They don't want to lose their zonal status. Also, two nation zones are anathema because, if push comes to shove, there is no tiebreaking vote. Bermuda, Bahamas...? And to be fair to our Bilingual status, Haiti. Well, maybe, but I doubt it. Iceland? They like to think they're part of Europe.

So our salvation as a zone is not how wonderful we are, but that nobody really wants us. We are good garbage.

How about a circum-polar zone of Faeroe Islands, Scotland, Canada? Fugly, but about as workable as any other suggestion I've seen.

It would be nice, some day, to act our size and age (that's +1 for Jean's comment).
                        The ICCF has Canada lumped with the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan and maybe there more. In a Zonal championship in which I played, there were 3 Canadians, 1 Australian, I from New Zealand, 1 from Japan, 1 from Singapore and 8 from the U.S. They had a tournament director from the U.S. who was very pro American. It was postal. A couple of times the TD made a ruling and I asked him to cite the rule. So he changed the ruling. A tie break was specified at the beginning of the event. There was a tie for first place. Sooner than use the tie break and give the Championship to a non U.S. player, he declared co-champions. I reminded them of the tie break and the sheet they sent us at the beginning of the event but to no avail.

I doubt having Canada lumped in with the U.S. would even slow them down. The net benefit would probably go to the U.S., unless you think Canada has stronger players.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          You are, indeed, licensed to kill, Mr. Bond.
                          Paul, I am sorry to disappoint you but in real life 007 and Spiderman do not exist. I thought that somebody had to let you in on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

How about separating Alaska from the U.S. mainland and combining it with Canada?

Oh, the politics! Sarah Palin for PM! We could play Russia and shout our moves across the Bering Strait, with Palin doing the honours for our side!

Obama might even sell us Alaska to help finance his bailout of California in 2010.
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              Obama might even sell us Alaska to help finance his bailout of California in 2010.
                              That's funny... I read a book years ago (Dragon by Clive Cussler) where the Japanese ended up owning so much American debt that they demanded Hawaii and California in payment.

Naturally, being written by an American, didn't turn out so well for Japan. Still a good book though, as most Clive Cussler books are.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X