Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Canada Great tournaments impressive personalities

https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-...-personalities

A good recap, though this part is a little out of date "The Canadian Chess Federation is based in Ottawa and has published the bimonthly magazine "En Passant" since 1979."

I'd prefer they use the correct name "Chess Federation of Canada", and when did the CFC move out of Ottawa? A while ago, I think, and En Passant hasn't been bi-monthly for ages. It may not even be bi-annually!

Comment

The magazine was ditched in the tenure of David Lavin.

Now we have the digital newsletter.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

Now we have the digital newsletter.

... We do?

Comment

The CFC 'newsletter' is annual, more or less. These days, with simultaneous GM analysis of major events, a newsletter seems anachronistic. This list of annual newsletters is from the CFC website

Date Newsletter
          2023 Chess Canada - Tacticosaurus (192 pages
          2021 Chess Canada - 99-Problems (96 pages)
          2020 Chess Canada - Embiggened (131 pages)
          2019 Chess Canada - Gnome (96 pages)
          2018 Chess Canada - Dragon (117 pages)
          2017 Chess Canada - Ketchup (91 pages)
          2016 Chess Canada - Olympiad (140 pages)

Comment

The article was pretty good I thought. Its focus is mostly on Canada's first few Grandmasters: Yanofsky, Suttles, Biyiasas, and Spraggett. Not so much about Ivanov or Lesiege, and barely a mention of our new and growing list of GMs. The one mistake I see is that Suttles is listed as the winner of the Vancouver International in 1981. He did tie for first with Tony Miles, but only by winning his final three games against Piasetski, Miles and then Seirawan. Earlier in that event Duncan had lost to Fletcher Baragar, myself and against John Burstow had to struggle for the draw.

Comment

Is that your most famous win Gordon? - or most memorable?

Comment

Yes I thought it was great promotion of Canadian chess in the international community. - and well done considering the writer had no background of Canadian chess.

Comment

In the Candidates Fan Zone I finally posted my six posters on Canada and the Candidates (they were printed, but missing for a week). Two of the young volunteers knew who Bareev was, but not Spraggett or Starr. So I guess the posters are for the seniors who lived through some of the history.

I listed the Canadians who have played in the world cups and interzonals, Saint John Candidate matches 1988, Man and His World 1979, Fischer-Taimanov 1971, Lasker-Steinitz 1894. World Junior 1957 and early photos of Anderson, Puri, Bluvshtein, and Charbonneau, Crosstables from round-robins Winnipeg 1967, Vancouver Women 1981, Croatia International 1990, Montreal Empresa 2007, Monroi Women 2007, Maplewood 2022. And the 45 Candidates who have visited Toronto. Photos of Suttles, Yanofsky, Karpov, Keres, Tal, Fischer, Spassky, Sokolov, Pia Cramling, Natalia Khoudgarian, and Qiyu Zhou.

Comment

World Blitz Championship?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      World Blitz Championship?
                      In Saint John, after the Candidate matches, and swiss tournaments, were blitz matches and Tal won the final.

Comment

Well done Erik.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Is that your most famous win Gordon? - or most memorable?
                          Honestly, it's perhaps the only win I've scored against a GM. I once beat Biyiasas but I'm not sure if he then had the GM title. My most memorable might be the time I beat Bruce Harper with black in the next to last round of the 1977 BC Closed, allowing Dan Scoones and I to share the title. Bruce had completely owned me up to then so it meant a lot. My most famous? Perhaps my win over Nakamura at North Bay in 1999. He was only 12, but still...

Comment

Thanks Gordon - loved to hear it! Suttles - thats a huge scalp of a legendary player.

Comment

Working...
                            X