Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of the Day

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1100009

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1647674 Two games of the day in one day! Thats never happened before!Love this one!! Queen sack on f2. Tricky Howard in action. Scintillating finish!

Comment

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1581500 I found this great win by Howard Rideout over Maurice Fox. Outstanding game by a player who peaked at 2100!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1647674 Two games of the day in one day! Thats never happened before!Love this one!! Queen sack on f2. Tricky Howard in action. Scintillating finish!
        I had published that game in the Toronto Chess News. Howard would weekly give simults in Scarborough malls and I won a chessboard in one of his Boys & Girls tournaments, 1970ish.

But Howard was also active at a young age, walking a couple of miles to the Beaches Chess Club. On April 30, 1932 the Toronto Daily Star mentioned that H. F. Ridout, 17-years-old, won a silver medal in the Intermediate City Tournament at the Toronto Chess Club (Adelaide and Church). In the inter-club league Beaches, with Howard on last board, finished second to Todmorden (Chestnut Hall, Broadview Ave.). In the next season Howard moved up to second board.

On November 20, 1933 the headline was “Ridout Alone Defeats Marshall” at a simul at the Jordan Chess Club (College and Spadina). A Danish Gambit, Howard punished the American Champion for not castling. The moves were given in Malcolm Sims Evening Telegram’s chess column:

[Event "simul"]
        [Site "Toronto"]
        [Date "1933.11.18"]
        [Round "?"]
        [White "Marshall, Frank"]
        [Black "Ridout, Howard"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [ECO "C44"]
        [PlyCount "36"]
        [EventDate "1933.??.??"]
        [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 d5 4. exd5 Qxd5 5. cxd4 Nc6 6. Nf3 Nf6 7. Nc3 Bb4 8. Be2 Ne4 9. Bd2 Bxc3 10. bxc3 O-O 11. c4 Qf5 12. Bd3? (12. O-O) 12... Nxd4 13. O-O?? (13. Be3) 13... Nxf3+ 14. Kh1 (14. gxf3 Qg6+! 15. Kh1 Bh3 16. Rg1 Nxf2#) 14... Nfxd2 15. f3 Nxf1 16. Bxe4 Ne3 17. Qd4 Qf6 18. Qxf6 gxf6 1-0

Comment

Whoo! Yes Erik! Thanks for the lovely detailed anecdote on Howard Ridout. The chess world needs to know more about Howard. He was a very witty chess player - I'm sure they would have called him a dangerous opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Whoo! Yes Erik! Thanks for the lovely detailed anecdote on Howard Ridout. The chess world needs to know more about Howard. He was a very witty chess player - I'm sure they would have called him a dangerous opponent.
            I remember Howard from the early days at the Scarborough CC when it was in the old house converted to a 'community' centre just off Victoria Park and the Danforth... (1960s +)
            Howard was an imposing figure for those of us in high school - he was indeed a formidable opponent - OTB or in simuls or even in Kreigspiel (both opponent are without sight of the board and they are effectively playing blindfold against each other).
            Howard lived in the Beaches area and I recall several times taking the street car to his house on a Saturday to play a tournament game (makeup round) and he was always helpful and always showing oddball opening variations.

I also remember how shocked I was to find a line of his in MCO(10?) when I was looking at something... he was famous!! :)

A nicer gentleman you would be hard pressed to find. A fierce tactician and always looking for new ideas.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
            X