Finding staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding staff

The Chess World is having the same problem as the rest of the World. Unemployment is at around 6%, I believe in Canada...so finding people should be relatively easy. But at Chess'n Math we have never been in this situation where we are short-staffed big time at the office. We are always looking for good chess teachers...nothing new there...but office staff...never before!

Most of my office staff stay around for many years but since the pandemic, the World has changed...some have retired...and others stay for only 1-3 months...

Someone pointed something out to me this weekend which I never realized (but should have :):

He said, his nephew, who is 14 yrs old, makes $1,000 a month on the internet!

He has 5,000 followers (not sure if that is on Twitch or another platform)...so why would he want to work a regular job?

How does one adapt to this new reality?

Larry

Hi Larry,
    Makes one wonder whether the 6% unemployment figure is real (earning decent on the internet equals to not being unemployed), and if it is indeed real, makes one wonder what those 6% are up to...
    Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Monday, 17th June, 2024, 06:08 PM.

Comment

LB, is your Ottawa location closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        The Chess World is having the same problem as the rest of the World. Unemployment is at around 6%, I believe in Canada...so finding people should be relatively easy. But at Chess'n Math we have never been in this situation where we are short-staffed big time at the office. We are always looking for good chess teachers...nothing new there...but office staff...never before!

Most of my office staff stay around for many years but since the pandemic, the World has changed...some have retired...and others stay for only 1-3 months...

Someone pointed something out to me this weekend which I never realized (but should have :):

He said, his nephew, who is 14 yrs old, makes $1,000 a month on the internet!

He has 5,000 followers (not sure if that is on Twitch or another platform)...so why would he want to work a regular job?

How does one adapt to this new reality?

Larry

I find this very interesting. The CFC is trying to generate as many chess GMs as possible, and IMs and WGMs and WIMs etc.

To do that, they have to encourage as many people as possible to ditch working for a living and become pro chess players.

Larry ... is your organization's goal the same as CFC as stated above?

If yes, you are part of the "new reality".

Larry if your nephew was somehow making $1,000 a month as a chess player .... what would you think about that? Regular job???? LOL

Comment

Working...
        X