Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Corporate Chess Championship

https://en.chessbase.com/post/four-t...s-championship

In 2006 Kitchener hosted the Canadian Open. Part of my role was to organise a Corporate Teams Challenge. The main reason was to have enough events in the City Hall Rotunda to make it chess busy. We had eight teams including 4 life insurance companies which had many tournament players amongst participants (Manulife was most prominent), a bank, a real estate cpmpany, and a designer of outer space equipment led by Andre Zybura. It was a real success and a raucous good time was had by all (live music and refreshments were included).
    Its nice to see this idea finally taking place on a global scale and happening in New York.

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/chessi...s-championship

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        In 2006 Kitchener hosted the Canadian Open. Part of my role was to organise a Corporate Teams Challenge. The main reason was to have enough events in the City Hall Rotunda to make it chess busy. We had eight teams including 4 life insurance companies which had many tournament players amongst participants (Manulife was most prominent), a bank, a real estate cpmpany, and a designer of outer space equipment led by Andre Zybura. It was a real success and a raucous good time was had by all (live music and refreshments were included).
        Its nice to see this idea finally taking place on a global scale and happening in New York.
        From reading old Canadian chess magazines (1970-1980), the corporate team matches were happening then too.

Comment

I guess the point is there have been many corporate teams in the past but eventually no continuity. Its nice to see it at a global level now and I hope it continues as a yearly event.

Comment

The "Banker's Athletic League" in New York has had chess teams for decades. Players such as GM Pascal Charbonneau have taken part in recent years.

Bankers Athletic League Chess of NYC (balchess.org)

Comment

Working...
            X