Predicted changes to FIDE regulations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predicted changes to FIDE regulations.

Very interesting FIDE's move to lower the ratings floor. They must have a plan. I predict that soon FIDE will change their constitution to allow for direct membership into FIDE. This would require qualification to the FIDE cycle based on merit rather than geographical location. Players will leave the CFC in droves, and the top players will see a source of income dry up. National federationa such as the CFC will be dead in the water. Cry me a river over that one. This is the best thing that could happen to organized chess in Canada, as many new people, for whom the CFC is only an obstacle, will give organized chess a try. Here come FIDE only tournaments. Looking forward to all of this.

Over the last two years the CFC has experienced its greatest growth in my fifty two years of playing tournament chess and you think it is all going to collapse overnight? I highly doubt the accuracy of your reading of the situation. The general assembly of FIDE consists of the various national federations. They are going to voluntarily abolish their own existence? If there were no CFC, there likely would not have been a candidates tournament in Canada this past April. If anything, FIDE is moving towards more support for local federations.

The collapse of national federations might simplify the life of the many unpaid volunteers who keep the CFC running but it would immediately also lead to a collapse of FIDE as it is not possible to re-establish that kind of infrastructure without huge disruption.

Mostly the CFC is about battling entropy and chaos. Anarchy is not a real option though sometimes those on the fringes think it offers some opportunity. No serious person does.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
      Very interesting FIDE's move to lower the ratings floor. They must have a plan. I predict that soon FIDE will change their constitution to allow for direct membership into FIDE. This would require qualification to the FIDE cycle based on merit rather than geographical location. Players will leave the CFC in droves, and the top players will see a source of income dry up. National federationa such as the CFC will be dead in the water. Cry me a river over that one. This is the best thing that could happen to organized chess in Canada, as many new people, for whom the CFC is only an obstacle, will give organized chess a try. Here come FIDE only tournaments. Looking forward to all of this.
      Actually, FIDE raised its rating floor from 1000 to 1400.

Comment

As a parent of a chess-playing child, my focus isn't on CFC or FIDE ratings until my child reaches that level. For many parents, chess is simply a delightful way to occupy their children's spare time, replacing the overstimulating, passive entertainment of video games. One of chess's remarkable attributes is its versatility: with just a minute, you can solve puzzles; with five, you can play a quick game; and with two days, you can enter tournaments. Regardless of location, a chess set invites connections; place it on any street corner worldwide, and within 20 minutes, you might find a new chess companion, even without a common language.

For skilled chess players, irrespective of age or rating, confronting weaknesses daily, analyzing mistakes, maintaining composure, and moving forward epitomize the qualities of a true warrior. These problem-solving skills, honed through chess, promise lifelong benefits, especially in a future dominated by AI and robotics.

While having more highly rated Masters in our community is beneficial, their value lies in their willingness to mentor future generations and enrich the community. Without this commitment, personal titles hold little significance beyond one's immediate family circle.

Comment

Very well said Cathy!

Comment

Working...
          X