80+ y.o. Canadian Chess Players Still Active!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal Simpson, CFC rated 1520 - St Marys Ontario, DOB July 1921 age 103 is still playing chess online.
    I will try to visit him and get his user name.

Comment

Hi Jerry:

Thanks for bringing Cal into this thread.......and I think it is great to highlight 80+ y.o.'s still playing on-line.....hope more will show up.

But the criteria for being on our particular list is that the senior must have played an over-the-board CFC-rated and/or FIDE-rated tournament within the last 2 years.

That being said, when I research Cal, I find he has no FIDE rating....so he has not played there in the last 2 years.

But he is shown as a life member of the CFC. And since I am shown only the summary profile line on his CFC page, I cannot confirm whether or not he has played a CFC-rated tournament OTB in the last 2 years!

I have decided to add such players to the list, tentatively, until a "yay" or "nay" decision can be reached.

So I have now added Cal to my update list in Post # 28 below.

If you can get him to confirm that he has not played an OTB tournament since July 2022, then I will move him to the ineligible list in Post # 24.

Thanks.

Bob A
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 18th July, 2024, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Hi Bob, it's great that you have the thread going about 80+ players! I have a youtube channel called Novice Chess Channel and do quite a bit of Canadian content. (Not just novice players but the commentary is aimed at novice players). What do you think of the idea of my covering some 80+ Canadian games? Or games when they were younger? I did a video to celebrate a 80+ U.S. player recently, Marv Mattson - (he played in 5 Canadian Opens). Just wanted to get some thoughts, thanks!

Comment

Hi Chris:

What you are doing sounds great.

Eric Cloutier (DoB: 1925 - on our list) is currently playing in the U 2000 Section of the 2024 Canadian Open in Laval, Quebec.

Hugh Brodie (Montreal) is the originator/maintainer of the Canadian Games Database, CanBase.

I suspect that copies of the original scores being handed in will be forwarded to Hugh for he and his volunteers to enter in the database. Not sure how long that might take. But you may then be able to access some of Eric's games.

It may be that recent games of Eric's already are in the database......you will have to search him in CanBase.

Those are my instantaneous thoughts......as more come to me, I'll respond again.

Bob A
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 17th July, 2024, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bob! I just checked my canbase and I found a win he had this year against Denis Gauthier. Wow, so is Eric 98 or 99?

Comment

Hi Chris:

I have only been able to find Eric's birth year in my research - 1925.

I do not know the date, and so don't know if he's already had his 99 th birthday this year or not.

There may be some Montreal CT'ers who know him who can help on this.....anyone?

Bob A

Comment

Chess-Results

Anyone else having problems logging into the website at the moment?

Bob A

Comment

Chess-Results - seems OK now.

Bob A

Comment

Post of 3 lists moved to Post # 39 (24/7/21) below.

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 21st July, 2024, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Ross Richardson is 72 or 73. He was younger than me back in 1960s and 1970s tournaments.

Mardig Tachijian - his FQE rating record shows that he played in a Youth tournament in 2017.
                      Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Thursday, 18th July, 2024, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks Hugh - will move Ross off the list.

Bob A

Comment

My recreational pickleball club includes an 83 year old. Playing chess at 80 is a breeze in comparison.

Comment

Zoltan Sarosy passed away on 22 June 2017 at the age of 110.

Comment

I thought he had died.......but my memory............geez......

Thanks Sam.

I will note in our list above (Post # 24).

Bob A

Comment

Dr. Thomas Verny, Stratford, age 87 I believe. Still active.

Comment

Working...
                                X