Blunders & Brilliancies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunders & Brilliancies

I recently went through "Brilliancies & Blunders" by the Scotsman Ian Mullen and the Canadian Moe Moss. A quick search to learn about the unbeknownst to me Moss discovered:
    Moe Moss (Moscowitch)(1914-87)
    Chess columnist, Montreal Star
    Chess promoter; organized 1st Canadian Open Championship 1956
    First Chair (after establishment), Chess Foundation of Canada 1956
    Co-author Blunders and Brilliancies, 1985
    The book is a very readable series of 307 combinations and tactics interspersed with witty anecdotes and poignant quotes. It's great entertainment for those who can only indulge in chess for short periods of time. The book is uncommon with respect to many chess books that I have read in that it is virtually gramatically error free. (And overal it aen't to bad, to.)

Re: Blunders & Brilliancies

Originally posted by David Lawless View Post
    I recently went through "Brilliancies & Blunders" by the Scotsman Ian Mullen and the Canadian Moe Moss. A quick search to learn about the unbeknownst to me Moss discovered:
    Moe Moss (Moscowitch)(1914-87)
    Chess columnist, Montreal Star
    Chess promoter; organized 1st Canadian Open Championship 1956
    First Chair (after establishment), Chess Foundation of Canada 1956
    Co-author Blunders and Brilliancies, 1985
    The book is a very readable series of 307 combinations and tactics interspersed with witty anecdotes and poignant quotes. It's great entertainment for those who can only indulge in chess for short periods of time. The book is uncommon with respect to many chess books that I have read in that it is virtually gramatically error free. (And overal it aen't to bad, to.)
    Hi David,

Moe Moss was a very interesting individual and you can be sure he was the one proof reading the book! I could tell you stories :). Actually a mutual friend of ours, Bill Oaker, knows him very well as they were both involved with the organization of the first Canadian Open in 1956. Hmmm...I haven't heard from Bill in a long time....can you e-mail me his number: bevand@chess-math.org

Thanks!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      Hi David,

Moe Moss [...] was the one proof reading the book! I could tell you stories :).
      As a champion typist (manual typewriter, manual keyboard, manual everything), he'd not only have to have great reflexes, but a fastidious nature. No stray dust particles or pieces of lint in the machine!

I'll be corrected if wrong, but I believe he set a mark of somewhere between 120 and 130 wpm (words per minute). Too bad Bullet Chess hadn't been invented!

Comment

Well, one blunder in proofreading, Buenos Aires Women's Olympiad King&pawn endgame attributed to the wrong Day eh.

Comment

Working...
        X