Istvan Kiss 1943-2024 R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Istvan Kiss 1943-2024 R.I.P.

Its with a heavy heart that I report the passing of Istvan Kiss this morning. He was a good chess friend. Istvan was an addicted tournament player who was always looking for the opportunity of a chess tournament or team match. I used to joke with him that he always saw things in black and white. I guess I knew Istvan from tournaments at least 40 years, however the highlights were from the outdoor chess program that I ran for sixteen years at Kitchener City Hall. For all of those years Istvan used to show up late mornings most days and buy me a coffee, start with a short chat in German or English or sometimes humour in Hungarian and we would play at least ten speed games or sometimes twenty. Thousands of speed games over the years. He was a longtime member of KW and Concordia clubs and club champ many times. In 2013 I became his coach as he pursued and won the Canadian Senior Championship. Both he and I had fond memories of a training tournament at Marios. Last year his wife Bibi passed away after Istvan had cared for her for three years. He was heartbroken and lost the will to play tournament chess. His last wish was to have his chess paraphernalia displayed at a visitation and that the members of the chess club meet there and share chess memories. However I dont know yet when that will be, his family will let me know soon. Rest in peace my good friend Istvan with Bibi.

The visitation will be at Erb and Good Funeral Home, 171 King Street South Waterloo Ontario, tomorrow (Tuesday, July 16th) from 6 to 8pm.

Comment

Sad news indeed. He always greeted me with a smile over the many years we've played at the same events. A real gentleman. I'll raise a toast to him at the tourney Saturday.

Comment

I knew him when he lived in Montreal in the early 80s. He was a regular at tournaments and the clubs. I'm not sure if he came directly from Hungary at the time, but he spoke fluent French.

RIP.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Istvan he was all ways a joy to have at the Brantford tournaments, My wishes and thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Comment

Working...
          X