Something different! 4.Nh3 vs. Nimzo-Indian, E20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something different! 4.Nh3 vs. Nimzo-Indian, E20

Going through my archives, I've come across a few games from my experimental youth in unusual openings. The 4.Nh3 Nimzo is one of them, and I actually played quite a number of games with it, with decent success. I got drummed using it a few years ago by NM Chris Pace in a Kingston Chess Club event, and hadn't thought about it since, until now! But I think the game I present here has some merit! Not many examples from other players!

Frank Dixon -- Dr. John Ursell
    Kingston 1976, played October 24
    Casual game, G/45'
    Nimzo-Indian, 4.Nh3, E20
    Clock times in brackets
    Notes by Frank Dixon

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Nh3!?
    [While searching for rare debuts that are playable, I came up with this while in high school, and tried it out several times in quick games. My opponent, Dr. John Ursell (1938-2009), was a professor of Mathematics at Queen's University, where I was a student at the time this game was played. Professor Ursell, known to everyone as John, was a friendly and somewhat eccentric fellow, who sometimes rehearsed his forthcoming course lectures in empty classrooms in the Math building during quiet evenings, when I was sometimes studying nearby, and we connected. The department kept several chess sets and a few clocks in the library, and we probably played about 30 games in the years I was at Queen's, with honors about even. John had earned his PhD from Oxford in 1963, but did not play chess for Oxford in the annual Varsity match against Cambridge, which dates back into the 1800s. His father was also a mathematics professor in the U.K. John was a member of a chess-playing family, going back several generations, and had played club chess in England, prior to taking his professorship at Queen's. He donated a number of chess books to Queen's, and to the City of Kingston library. Eventually, as we became friends, he sought my feedback on his lecture presentations. I never actually had him as a professor in any of my courses; he was very well liked by his students!]
    4...b6
    [I have also seen 4...O-O; 4...c5; 4...d5; 4...h6; and 4...d6 here.]
    5.Bg5
    [This idea is from the Leningrad variation, one move later; the line was popularized by a young Boris Spassky.]
    5...Ba6
    [This extended fianchetto was used frequently by GM David Bronstein in the Nimzo, in his 1951 drawn world title match with champion GM Mikhail Botvinnik. I am certain we have left recorded praxis at this stage! It's shaping up to be an interesting, unbalanced contest!]
    6.Qb3 c5 7.e3 O-O 8.Bd3 Nc6 9.a3 Bxc3+ 10.bxc3 d5 (9,9)
    [John is showing strong command of thematic Nimzo ideas; this was his main defense against 1.d4, I came to learn. I can't capture on d5, and I face danger with a coming ...Na5!, with Black's potential advantage.]
    11.Qc2 dxc4
    [Perhaps 11...h6 first is better, as my bishop becomes strong after capturing h7.]
    12.Bxh7+ Kh8 13.O-O
    [I have also tried both long castling, and leaving my King in the center, in the variation.]
    13...Rc8 14.dxc5 Ne5!? (17,14)
    [Potentially heading for a strong post on d3.]
    15.cxb6 axb6 16.Nf4!
    [Protecting d3, and preparing a transfer to h5, where I aim to increase pressure on Black's Kingside.]
    16...b5
    [A little slow, but by no means a bad move.]
    17.Rad1 Qe7 18.Nh5!
    [White has an advantage, but Black still has many resources.]
    18...Rc7 19.Rd4!
    [Looking to double rooks on the d-file, and possibly transfer this rook to h4!]
    19...Ned7 (23,28)
    [Electing to reinforce his King's defense.]
    20.Rfd1 Bc8 21.Rh4 Qxa3! (25,31)
    [With f6 now better protected, Black regains his pawn, and can create some potentially dangerous counterplay with this move! White, looking for combinations, must watch his back rank carefully.]
    22.Ng3
    [Withdrawing this knight from an attacking role, but fortifying the back rank.]
    22...Qb3!
    [Very resourceful play from Black. With a queen exchange on c2, White would give discovered check on the h-file, with his bishop recapture, gaining a tempo.]
    23.Rxd7! Rxd7! 24.Bxf6! Rd1+! 25.Nf1! gxf6
    [Not sure if Black, now down a piece until this recapture, can still save the position here.]
    26.Bg8+! , 1-0. (34,40)
    [This discovered check was what he had overlooked. White will give mate with his queen on h7! Certainly a lively encounter, illustrating the potential of the lesser-known variation!]

Frank Dixon -- Donald Dixon
    Deep River 1975, played Oct. 23
    Casual game, G/45'
    Nimzo-Indian, 4.Nh3, E20
    Clock times in brackets
    Notes by Frank Dixon

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Nh3 c5! (1,7)
    [Dad took some time to decide on this, but I believe it could be the strongest response to White's offbeat strategy. Others have played this against me as well, including my strongest opponent in a tournament game using the variation, NM Chris Pace, who defeated me in a Kingston Chess Club event a few years ago. Dad knew about this line from our regular chess banter, but this game was the first where I tried the new line against him. I hadn't found anything on it in any book I consulted.]
    5.d5 exd5 6.cxd5 d6 7.Bg5 Nbd7 8.Qc2 a6 (5,13)
    [I believe White has to advance d4-d5 on move 5 here, and the game has then headed into a type of Benoni central pawn structure, something I was not so well prepared for, being almost exclusively a 1.e2-e4 player. Dad, knowing my game very well of course, aimed to catch me on less prepared terrain; his plan works! There is some praxis from kin variations in the Leningrad variation with an early ...c7-c5, followed by d4-d5 from White, but not with an early Nh3 from White.]
    9.e4 O-O 10.Be2 b5 11.O-O Re8 12.f4 Bb7 13.Bf3 Qb6 (12,21)
    [Both sides have developed efficiently, the importance of which I learned early on from Dad, who introduced me to chess at age 7, as his father had done with him. Black has an excellent position with a queenside pawn majority, and he heads to the middlegame looking to enhance his prospects on that side of the board, while knowing I will likely attack in the center and the kingside, with my majority there.]
    14.Kh1 h6 15.Bh4 c4! 16.Bf2 Nc5 17.Rae1 Rac8 18.Bd4 Qc7 (17,29)
    [Here, considering Black's subsequent queenside attack, I would have likely done better with 19.Nf2, opposing the Black knight's entry to the strong d3 square, but was planning to advance in the center with e4-e5 soon, so figured that defensive move would hold back my pressure buildup. I unwisely decided against a central advance, being unable to calculate its consequences. But I now think 19.e5 is best here, with a sharp, unclear game coming up.]
    19.Re2 Nd3! 20.a3 Bxc3 21.Bxc3 a5! 22.Bxf6 gxf6 23.Bh5 b4! (21,34)
    [With only a pair of pawns swapped in the first 19 moves, the game's first exchanges of pieces have opened up the board considerably. I figured Black was somewhat better here, and that I would be unable to defend the queenside, so had to get my kingside attack moving to try to hold the balance in what will soon become a very sharp struggle. Hence, I damaged Black's king position, with 22.Bxf6, and now try to open lines towards it. My more frequent game practice, from regular high school team matches at G/30', will often tell to my advantage against out-of-practice Dad, when his time gets short, as it is now starting to! He does have a 20+ years experience advantage, however!]
    24.axb4 axb4 25.Re3 f5! 26.Rg3+ Kf8 27.exf5 b3! 28.Qc3 Bxd5 (26,41)
    [Now each player gets to see how his own plans will work out! Black has brought his inactive B/b7 to defend the important f7 square, while also hitting g2.]
    29.Qg7+ Ke7 30.f6+
    [A vital decision; I knew my queen on g7 would lose connection to the critical b2 square, but could see no other way to pursue my attack. White is heading into a losing position.]
    30...Kd8 31.Qxh6 Nxb2!
    [Now Black's queenside pawns are both far-advanced passers, and I have to use precious time to bring my attacking forces forward.]
    32,Rg7 c3! 33.Ng5 c2! (-+) (28,44)
    34.Nxf7+!? Kd7??
    [With Dad's flag hanging, I had decided to resign to him on the reply 34...Bxf7!! Although I could play to flag him, even on that, he has outplayed me, and deserves to win, if he finds this move. I do have plenty of attacking firepower on the kingside, but it is not quite coordinating for victory. But Black, under pressure, is not able to see that he absolutely must eliminate this knight (the 4.Nh3 knight!), my most dangerous piece, and that after that he will be safe from immediate further attack, and then able to convert his dominant advantage by queening his c-pawn and threatening mate on my back rank. Easy to see with plenty of time on one's clock, of course!]
    35.Ne5++!
    [A complete game changer. Now if he picks 35...Kd8!, I can fight on with 36.Rxc7 Rxc7 37.f5!, connecting my Q/h6 to the queening square c1, when there is still lots to play for.]
    35...Ke6? 36.Bg4#!, 1-0.
    [A heartbreaker for Dad, but, though disappointed to be sure, he didn't get upset at all. He praised my original opening concept, and my fighting spirit in a tough position. He had played really wonderfully until right near the end. He did say, however, that I would definitely also find myself on the other side of winning undeservedly, if I played enough chess! Now true those words proved to be in future for me!, on a few occasions!]

Comment

Frank Dixon -- Vernon Jones
      Pembroke 1973, played March 3
      Renfrew Country High School League, match day 6 of 7, rd. 6 of 7
      TD/Org: RCHSL
      Time controls: G/30'
      NimzoIndian, 4.Nh3, E20
      Clock times in brackets
      Notes by Frank Dixon

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Nh3
      [This was my first tournament game with this variation. My coach James Hegney gave his OK for me to play the line in this game. He was somewhat unconvinced about the line's worth, but at this juncture in the event, our team had clinched no worse than a tie for first; we would have the bye in the last round; and I had clinched no worse than a tie for first on my board. The league's format had each of the very rural county's seven high schools host a one-day round-robin team tournament, on a Saturday, usually with six or eight boards, with G/30' format, not yet termed 'Active chess' that term would not arrive until the late 1980s. So, simply 'Rapid' chess! It meant a lot of chess in one day, but was a great way to improve! This was the sixth match day of the season, and my school, Mackenzie of Deep River, had won every match day event that season, so far, and would make a clean season sweep in #7.]
      4...d5 5.Bg5 Nbd7 6.cxd5 exd5 7.g3 O-O (3,7)
      [Vernon was a regular opponent for me that year, and I scored well against him, but he did defeat me in a very nice game, at the Ontario HS Championship in Toronto in May 1973. He elects to go into a Queen's Gambit style of game, and I exchange on d5 to take away many active possibilities for Black. The game winds up in a Nimzo-Catalan hybrid, new territory to be sure.]
      8.Bg2 c6 9.O-O b6 10.Rc1 Bb7 11.Qb3 Bxc3 (5,9)
      [White has developed very efficiently, and any possibly detrimental effect of the 'kooky' 4.Nh3 is already minimal. In view of what happens later, 11...Be7 may have been more prudent, but Vernon was not much interested in defense. In fact the entire league was pretty much 'cut-and-thrust', with many inexperienced players. We were in the 'Fischer Boom' years, with chess interest growing fast!]
      12.bxc3
      [With three choices on recapture, I pick this one, with the potential for a c3-c4 advance later, to further pile up on d5, which was my main plan.]
      12...Qe7 13.Rfe1 Rad8 14.Nf4!
      [It turns out that this move is not only strong, but has saved time with its arrival on f4, before advancing my e-pawn.] It has good prospects both in the center and on the kingside.]
      14...Rfe8 (11,15)
      [Vernon said later he was looking for more active play than he got; that is when he is at his most dangerous.]
      15.e4! Nf8!? 16.Nh5!
      [At first I thought I would be just winning after 16.e5, but then looked deeper, to see 16...h6! 17.exf6? Qxe1+! 18.Rxe1 Rxe1+ 19.Bf1 Ba6!, and White is either lost or close to it. A typical Vernon trap! Instead I decide to conserve the energy in the position, while building my pressure.]
      16...dxe4 17.Rxe4 Ne6 (13,20) 18.Bxf6! gxf6 19.Rce1 c5
      [Black opens up the game further; he was facing a major problem with a possible f2-f4-f5 advance, hitting the pinned N/e6.]
      ]20.Rg4+! Kh8 21.Bxb7 c4!? (15,22)
      [Vernon said later he wanted to lure my Queen out with this zwischenzug pawn sac, so he could harass it with his rooks, but I decline it, and retreat her majesty to a square I wanted to go anyway.]
      22.Qc2! Qxb7 23.Nxf6!
      [The situation is grim for Black on the kingside, but he has a nice little surprise for me!]
      23...Ng5!?
      [Faced with a mate threat, Black defends it and threatens mate of his own! Defensive tries lose quickly.]
      24.Rxe8+
      [I took five minutes here, and carefully worked it out to the end. Losing are both 24.Rxg5?? Rxe1#; and 24.Nxe8?? Nh3+! 25.Kf1 Qh1+ 26.Ke2 Rxe8+, mating.]
      24...Rxe8 25.d5!
      [Suppressing the Black queen's activity on the long diagonal.]
      25... Re1+
      [On 25...Qe7, 26.Qf5! wins quickly.]
      26.Kg2 h6 27.Qh7+!, 1-0. (24,28)
      [A spirited battle, and a solid debut for the new line! This game was selected as the third best for the league season, in a vote of team coaches -- good for a copy of 'Pawn Power in Chess', by IM / IA Hans Kmoch, a classic tome!]

Comment

This game marked my first attempt with the variation facing a very strong, experienced opponent. Dr. Roger Kewley was Professor of Chemistry at Queen's University, and he approached me with the idea that he could coach me for ten Sunday-night sessions, as my dad didn't want me playing tournament chess, but I needed some fun in my very drab life, other than seemingly endless classes, labs, and assignments in first-year engineering. Even better, student residence didn't provide a Sunday dinner, and Roger's wife had her 'ladies night out' that night with her friends, so he invited me for dinner, as well, before our sessions! My dad agreed to the plan. Roger would pick me up at my dorm, drive me to his home, his wife would take the car for her evening, and Roger and I would settle in for a great meal, already prepared, followed by chess. And all at no charge! This was our second actual training session; the format was a G/45' with a clock, followed by analysis, then a Q + A, and some assigned problems for me, to be presented the next week. Roger was among Kingston's strongest OTB players, and had been 1970 Canadian Correspondence Champion. Perhaps my happiest time in chess!

Frank Dixon (1436P) -- Dr. Roger Kewley (1931)
        Kingston 1977, played Jan. 26
        Training match, game 2 of 10
        Time controls: G/45'
        Nimzo-Indian, 4.Nh3, E20
        Clock times in brackets
        Notes by Frank Dixon

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Nh3
        [Roger was doubting this was a serious variation, but I told him I had scored well with it!]
        4...O-O (1,6) 5.Bg5 d6 6.e3 Nbd7 7.Bd3 c5 8.Qc2 b6 (8,13) 9.O-O-O!?
        [This was my first try with long castling, although I had analyzed it.]
        9...Qe7 10.Nf4 cxd4 11.exd4 Bb7 12.Kb1 Rac8 (13,17) 13.Nh5 Ba6
        [Black was having no part of 13...Bxg2?!]
        14.b3 h6 15.Nxf6+ Nxf6 (24,30) 16.Bh7+ Kh8 17.h4 b5! 18.Ne4!? bxc4! (31,35)
        [Black can lose in many attractive ways, should he capture the B/g5, as the h-file is opened, and squares like h7 become fatally weak. But Roger calculated that White could not strengthen his attack if Black declined the sacrifice! Instead, Black builds his counterattack on the queenside, and he has worked it all out, as we will see! This 18th move by Black is the first of nine successive captures. I was feeling anticipation for a possible win; our first game was won by Roger in straightforward fashion, as White against my King's Indian Defense. But over the next few moves, I also realized I had no way forward.]
        19.Nxf6 cxb3! 20.Qxb3 gxf6! 21.Bxh6 Kxh7! 22.Nxf8 Qxf8!! (37,41)
        [Yes, indeed! I had earlier calculated 22...Rxf8? here, figuring to win with 23.Qxb4, but that is now met by 23...Rb8!, and Black wins!]
        23.Qf3 Rb8! 24.Qh5+ Qh6 25.Qxh6+ Kxh6, 1/2--1/2. (40,42)
        [Black's draw offer was accepted. Roger said that if he had more time, he would play on. White's King is in danger, and will be under pressure. White's passed h-pawn is not a factor. But Roger complimented my 4.Nh3 idea, and said I had played well; he said the variation had potential! Incidentally, my 1436P rating was provisional, based on fewer than 25 CFC-rated games. At the end of our sessions, Roger said he thought my strength was about 1700, and that this would show up when I played more games. He was proven correct; my first regular rating, in late 1980, was 1786, after a 'rating boon' to account for deflation in the CFC system.]

Comment

Interesting games I'm sure. I looked through the notes. Is there a point to 4.Nh3 other than to get them out of the book? Any strategic significance?

Comment

Thanks, Fred, for your interest and questions. For the next two weeks, my chess interest will be focused on the Olympiad in Budapest, and especially Canada's performances there. And I have another group of games ready to post in the 4.Nh3 Nimzo, beginning in two weeks. After that, I will respond to your questions in detail! I think the upcoming games will illustrate more of the variation's themes.

Comment

Working...
            X