2024 Canadian Chess Hall of Fame Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Canadian Chess Hall of Fame Announcement

Stephen Smith will be inducted into the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame during the FIDE 100th Anniversary Ceremonies in Quebec City, either today or tomorrow. He was one of the original signatories of the FIDE charter in 1924, representing Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Francis_Smith

This was the result of a special election by the Hall of Fame Committee, and there will be a further opportunity for elections later this year.

Fred

I suspect that his father Dr. William Robert Smith (born in New Brunswick 1829) was the Dr. Smith who was a member of the Egmondsville Chess Club that defeated the Toronto Chess Club. (ECC's strongest player was George E. Jackson who was the Canadian Champion in 1875.) Egmondsville became part of Seaforth. Dr. Smith lived nearby in St Mary's (Perth) in 1861 census and McKillop (Huron north) in 1871. Stephen Smith died in hospital taking morphine pills for his pain.
    Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Sunday, 18th August, 2024, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
      I suspect that his father Dr. William Robert Smith (born in New Brunswick 1829) was the Dr. Smith who was a member of the Egmondsville Chess Club that defeated the Toronto Chess Club. (ECC's strongest player was George E. Jackson who was the Canadian Champion in 1875.) Egmondsville became part of Seaforth. Dr. Smith lived nearby in St Mary's (Perth) in 1861 census and McKillop (Huron north) in 1871. Stephen Smith died in hospital taking morphine pills for his pain.
      Checking Stephen Wright's excellent bc history site it was Dr. William R. Smith (Seaforth) who played in the 1872 Canadian Championship in Toronto.

Comment

The lastest incarnation of my article on Smith can be found on page 7 of the last BCCF Bulletin, https://www.chess.bc.ca/Bulletins/BCCFBulletin454.pdf.
        As for his death, Smith was recovering from an operation but the hospital doctor would not prescribe morphine. Being a doctor, Smith wrote a morphine prescription for himself which his son filled but tragically accidentally overdosed on the drug.

Comment

I approve of this nomination, and wish to thank Stephen Wright for his deep research and fine scholarship!!

Comment

Working...
          X