The Greater Toronto Chess League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greater Toronto Chess League

A couple of clips from the GTCL constitution....

From the objectives...

2.3 To be the sanctioning and administrative body for the annual organizing of the chess events and tournaments listed in By-law #1.

By-law # 1. Annual Tournaments sponsored by GTCL.

· The Toronto Closed and Reserves Championships (January-March)

· The Toronto Open Championship (April)

· The Toronto Active Championship (May)

· The Toronto Blitz Championship (June)

· The Toronto Women’s Championship (September-December)

· The Toronto Junior Championship (September-December)

· The Toronto Senior Championship (September-December)

· GTCL Team Competitions (September to June)

Someone explain to me the value of this policy. Of what benefit is it to have a tournament "sanctioned"?

What does it mean to have a tournament "sponsored" by the GTCL?

btw, the google definition of "sanction" is ... give official permission or approval for (an action)

sponsored: (of a project, activity, etc.) provided with funding by a particular organization or body.
    "in the past, sponsored research made up two-thirds of the budget"
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Saturday, 24th August, 2024, 02:00 PM.

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    Someone explain to me the value of this policy. Of what benefit is it to have a tournament "sanctioned"?
    In principle looking for clubs to organize these tournaments, discuss their bids, and approve.

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    What does it mean to have a tournament "sponsored" by the GTCL?
    There are financial initiatives - usually covering CFC and FIDE rating expenses. Providing prizes.

Comment

Fred;
      In the good old days the GTCL area had many conflicting tournaments that split the entries and thus td's could not run a proper tournament. so the GTCL made a rule that only GTCL sanctioned tournament could run on the days listed. I don't know how the Toronto Open became the Labour Day weekend. But times have changed since the Good Old Days.

Comment

Fred:

That timeline on GTCL Constitution on Annual tournaments is a guideline. Perhaps can use an update.
        The GTCL takes bids from various clubs (or local independent organizers but that's rare, there's generally an affiliation) and a vote takes place to who had the most compelling bid.
        In some years bids for events are quite competitive, sometimes an event doesn't run. Depends largely on the way clubs are doing around the city.
        As Egis said, there are some initiatives and advantages from having an event sanctioned by GTCL. GTCL is mostly "hands-off" when it comes to the specifics of the tournament, once it has been awarded. Some financial incentives or nominal prizes may be awarded. Perhaps most importantly, GTCL can help advertise, network and reach out to the entire community when promoting an event.

John:
        The Labour Day tournament ran on the weekend with the same name for many years. When I started playing chess, it was ran by Bryan Lamb as arbiter, where Randy Moysoski facilitated the playing venue, the Macedonian Community Hall, on Overlea Blvd. My understanding is that this was done independently from any club, though they were both regulars and helped ran Scarborough back then. My understanding is that both Bryan and Randy got very busy with life and the Labour Day initiative collapsed.
        It rotated perhaps through a couple of sites or organizers for the odd year, it may have even not taken place at all once or twice.
        Meanwhile, the Toronto Open - normally scheduled or slotted for the Easter long weekend - could not find organizers. Nobody wanted to run it then, or couldn't, etc...
        So when the Labour Day was "struggling" and the Easter Weekend was not appealing anymore, GTCL seized the opportunity to convert Labour Day into Toronto Open, which also gave organizers the extra support for there to be continuity at the Labour Day. And as we can see the Labour Day, as the Toronto Open, has regained its popularity and stability.

----

The GTCL has come quite a long way since I attended my first meeting with them back in 2008. Several tournaments had not ran for a while and they are now having competing bids for some tournaments (Toronto Rapid, Blitz for example). GTCL has also increased their board participation to include a representative of each club, manages a calendar of events and coordinates with the various clubs on a needs basis. It's important to understand that, as far as I understand, everyone at GTCL is volunteering their time, and their annual budget is fairly modest (collects rebates from CFC membership fees and re-distributes it by helping with these events).

There have been times during the past 15-20 years where Toronto was the "Black Hole" of chess, with nothing happening remotely close to downtown, no clubs, no major tournaments, etc... Torontonians would often travel some distance to play in tournaments then. It has changed. If anything it's been the opposite lately. Toronto has swallowed its surrounding areas and sadly, clubs around the GTCL (particularly in SW Ontario - Kitchener, Hamilton, Guelph, etc..) have gone dormant.

Now we are back to having conflicts of events since there aren't enough weekends in the year to satisfy the appetite for chess in the GTCL. Good problem to have!

Alex Ferreira

Comment

OK, yes I can see the point of avoiding conflicts, and also I support the notion of competition between clubs. OK, so GTCL controls the names. My question came out my search for a good tournament to enter. It seems like all of the open tournaments have "narrow sections", with the proviso "pay $20 more to play up, but only if you are within 100 points of the next section. Is that a GTCL thing, that a lot of the tournaments are set up that way? Why is that? I have done my time on the GTCL and organized tournaments

Comment

Working...
          X