• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Chess Olympiad at the Half - India leads

https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-...d-2024-r6-open

https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-...-2024-r6-women

Comment

India carried it through to the end. Almost perfect! 10 wins and one draw. Awesome!!

Comment

IMO Gukesh's performance might be the greatest performance in chess history. 3056 performance rating, 9/10 including 2.5/3 vs players in the top 10 in the world? For me, the contenders are Karpov in Linares and Caruana in Sinquefield, but I'll give a couple reasons why I think Gukesh's is superior:

1) Open swiss - you don't know who you're facing until the day before (and maybe even the color!). You're going to have to win primarily on your over the board merit, not in your pregame preparation.

2) More sustained pressure; India did not have the event clinched to be clear first even going into the final round. Caruna won Sinquefield by 3 points. Karpov won Linares by 2.5 points. Both could have lost their last two games and still won.

Comment

Good post David. I agree and Gukesh is also the youngest by far at eighteen of all those achievers. About three years ago I was floored by Firoujza's achievements. Gukesh has eclipsed that by a large margin. I'm glad I got to see him live in Toronto at the candidates.

Comment

I agree that India's team performances at Budapest Olympiad were truly exceptional; only one game lost by the team across 11 rounds. They also won the women's championship in convincing style, losing just one match in 11 rounds.

When it comes to outstanding individual performances, Paul Keres scored 13/14, unbeaten, on board three for USSR at Amsterdam Olympiad 1954; that was in the pre-ratings era. I still think Bobby Fischer's performances in 1971 are the absolute best of all time. In Candidates matches, he defeated Taimanov by 6-0, Larsen by 6-0, and Petrosian by 6.5-2.5. Fischer also won the U.S. Championship for 1963-64 with a perfect score, 11/11.

As I had hopefully predicted before Budapest Olympiad 2024, Canada eventually finished ahead of its pre-tournament seedings, with both Men's and Women's teams. Congratulations to all the Canadian team members, both players and support personnel, for Budapest 2024!!!

Comment

Working...
            X