Byes - Why so many 1 point Tournament byes Recently?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byes - Why so many 1 point Tournament byes Recently?!

At the CHESSCA OPEN - Why so many 1st Round 1 point tournament byes?!

And now the SCC Howard Ridout Memorial Swiss '09: Open?!

Tournament was won by applying a 1 point tournament bye in the last round?!

What kind of pairing software are being used?

As far as I am concerned, a 1 point tournament bye should only be applied to the player at the bottom of the standings in case of an odd number of players!?

Please clarify?! Looked unfair who played tooth and nail in the final round!

Re: Byes - Why so many 1 point Tournament byes Recently?!

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post

As far as I am concerned, a 1 point tournament bye should only be applied to the player at the bottom of the standings in case of an odd number of players!?

Hi,

I was just a participant but I am under the impression there was a last minute situation with one of the players who could not make it beyond reasons of their control, and got in contact with the TD a bit too late to change the pairings. The TD must have felt the reasons were valid, especially given the player's perfect attendance record in the past, and decided not to rate the game. Scarborough Chess Club offers a friendly environment to play chess and there are no prizes in the same way as a normal weekend tournament.

Alex F.

Comment

At the CHESSCA OPEN - Why so many 1st Round 1 point tournament byes?!

from what I know at Chessca people registered but did not come, the organizer couldn't know if they were just late or not coming as she had no contact before the round, for example my opponent was somewhat late but not very late but if you switch around pairings to match players whose opponent did not come its not fair & you can't because they have an hour to show up don't they?

Comment

A player should never be paired under these circumstances:
        1) if he has not shown a personal appearance before the round starts even if
        he had made advance registration; or
        2) if he has not paid his entry fee; or
        3) if he had earlier requested a bye of 1/2 point in that round.

A player must also inform the tournament organizer/director of his arrival if
        he has registered and paid in advance to guarantee his pairing.

My guess is that the error came from the pairing personnel. He should have made
        sure that presence of the player is guaranteed before making any pairings.

Another pairing issue I would like someone to explain was during the 2009 Thanksgiving Tournament
        in the Under 2000 Section, a friend of mine told me that a tournament bye was applied to a player
        who was at the middle of the standing. He got a tournament bye in the 4th round when he had already two point
        after three rounds. Can someone explain this?

:D

Comment

Let us know when you will announce a new grand-open tournament :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Let us know when you will announce a new grand-open tournament :D
            Sign me up, sign me up !

Comment

1) if he has not shown a personal appearance before the round starts even if
              he had made advance registration; or
              2) if he has not paid his entry fee; or
              3) if he had earlier requested a bye of 1/2 point in that round.

A player must also inform the tournament organizer/director of his arrival if
              he has registered and paid in advance to guarantee his pairing.

My guess is that the error came from the pairing personnel. He should have made
              sure that presence of the player is guaranteed before making any pairings.

Another pairing issue I would like someone to explain was during the 2009 Thanksgiving Tournament
              in the Under 2000 Section, a friend of mine told me that a tournament bye was applied to a player
              who was at the middle of the standing. He got a tournament bye in the 4th round when he had already two point
              after three rounds. Can someone explain this?

:D
              well given that it was a terrific location in Elora it did take a bit to drive to but was well worth the drive, if someone simply was late its hard to ask them to drive over an hour and then tell them they are not paired if they are late, waiting for them throws off the scheduele & if you are driving back & forth as many of us did this makes for an even longer day - for the convenience of the players a full point bye is the best compromise in my estimation because you do get an hour don't you? at any club or tournament I've ever been too forfeits are after an hour, whichever round it is - at the club, at a weekend tournament

Comment

Forfeit "F" should have been used instead of the 1 point bye of "B" for clarity for the Thanksgiving.
                And for the Chessca Open, 1 point bye "B" is fine but should have been avoided if presence has been confirmed before executing the pairing.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Working...
                X