Chess In the Library Demo Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess In the Library Demo Boards

I understand you are looking for Demo Boards. You already have the greatest resources to get them made. YOUR STUDENTS.

A Demo board can be made from Bristol Board the pieces can be made the same way. All you need are the measurements of the boards you have. You can trace the pieces you have and make them out of White and Black Bristol Board as well. Use white Bristol board as your base background and then decide whether you want to colour the black squares or cut spaces out of a Black piece of Bristol board and glue it to the white board.

Hey you will have the only Demo boards created by your own students and it will give them all a feeling of pride that they were able to contribute to your program. Plus it may make the students pay more attention to lessons when they know they helped build the boards.

You can make the slots in the squares and glue a second sheet of bristol board on the back around the edges to keep the slot open.
    I'm sure the kids can give you some suggestions and would even make your club more participation friendly.

Re: Chess In the Library Demo Boards

Better idea-buy one at Strategy Games Store,inexpensive,only$24.95

to make one is too time consuming and will not last....

Comment

I've got several owned by the OCA that have been collecting dust in my basement since we have no real idea what to do with them. The Chess in the Library program is welcome to have them on an indefinite loan basis, just return them if you don't need them anymore.

Email me - cmallon@chess.ca
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi John:

Given that the program is volunteer run by students, and primarily targetted at juniors, and is free to participants, do you know if Strategy Games would give them a discount on the demo boards?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
          Better idea-buy one at Strategy Games Store,inexpensive,only$24.95

to make one is too time consuming and will not last....
          HI John;

1. I'm not sure if Chess In The Library has any money to buy demo boards. I think they rely on donations.

2. You are assuming that one person builds the board.

Chess In Library has posted numbers of 30 kids showing up. Now if each child took home one piece traced it and cut it and even took home and made one Square your time is nothing.

Also a product will last as long as it is not abused.

I still have my original plastic chess set I got in grade 5 a long time ago. The only piece that has been replaced is the White King. Rest of set looks like the day it was bought.
          My original Wood set bought at Simpsons in the 70's is still in great shape.

Taking care of things was my generation. This generation seems to be throw away and buy new.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
            HI John;

Taking care of things was my generation. This generation seems to be throw away and buy new.
            Sad but true. That's because throwing things away and buying new increases profits and GDP. Both business and government encourage it.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

A lot of stuff isn't necessarily made to last these days either. (Not speaking strictly of chess sets)

For example, my Dad still has a Sony CD player from the 80's that works, only repair ever was (twice) replacing the rubber belt that operates the tray. Why did it last so long? Because it's all-metal.

They also tell you straight-up when you buy an LCD or Plasma TV that they will generally need significant repair or replacement after a certain number of hours of use. Also not like the old TVs!

Car bumpers are made to look "good," all molded into the look of the car. Great until you get in an accident and instead of $50 to properly hammer out a couple dents you have $800-$2000 in body work needing to be done for a little fender-bender.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post

They also tell you straight-up when you buy an LCD or Plasma TV that they will generally need significant repair or replacement after a certain number of hours of use. Also not like the old TVs!
                You're probably too young to remember but the old TV's used to have tubes. Some 20 to 25 tubes counting the picture tube. I used to do some TV repair because it was kind of "laid back", like chess.

The work was pretty steady but sometimes discouraging. The people who didn't have much money would put off repairs until the set was unwatchable. Then when I went to repair it, the set would need several tubes and the bill would be high. Some people would call as soon as a problem happened and usually it was a much smaller repair bill.

I worked for a tube manufacturer for awhile. Life testing tubes. They would be run on "racks" for a number of hours. Been a long time but I seem to recall 250 hours for the domestic ones. Then they would be tested. If a couple of batches from the lot didn't pass the quality test the entire batch would be crushed.

Then came transistors.

I guess that brings us to if I believe the Americans landed on the moon in the late 1960's. Great cold war intrigue in that one...
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                  Sad but true. That's because throwing things away and buying new increases profits and GDP. Both business and government encourage it.
                  That is too bad. It is supposed to be in other direction. I mean those encouragements. Is there any different and possible approach or way to achieve that?

:(

Comment

Working...
                  X