Thanks for good wishes, and a tricky position!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for good wishes, and a tricky position!

Thank you very much to the many chess people across the country, either on this site or by email, who wished me a speedy recovery. It raised my spirits a lot. Things are getting better, but I have a ways to go yet. :)

Prior to my illness I had the chance to play some friendly games with a talented young player from Norway, Jo Vederhus, who is at Queen's University on exchange this year. Several years ago, Jo played regularly in Norway with the young Magnus Carlsen, before Magnus got really good!! Jo won several games from Magnus in those years. Jo plays well, and is a strong contender for a place on the Queen's University first team, which will play in the Nationals for Post-Secondary chess, in Toronto in January.

Here is a fascinating position and tactical sequence from one of my games with Jo, for readers' pleasure.

Vederus -- Dixon, QUCC friendly Oct. 29, 2009
    W: Kb1, Qc7, Ra7, Bb6, b7, b2
    B: Kg8, Qd5, Rd8, Rb8, c3, f7, g6
    Very complex and creative middlegame play from both sides brought us here, from a Scandinavian Defence. I came under some strong pressure, but managed to run my h-pawn down to queen, winning a piece in a combination. Black now has material advantage but must stay very alert about the b7-pawn and back-rank combinations.
    1.Qxd8+!? Rxd8 2.Bxd8! Qb5!
    I think this idea is the only winning one. I could also play 2...Qb3! Black would lose on 2...Qxd8? 3.Ra8!
    3.Kc2 Qxb2+ 4.Kd3 Qd2+ 5.Kc4 c2 6.Ra8 c1Q+ 7.Kb5 Qdb2+ 0-1.
Working...
X