We need your help with preparation! (for Richard Wang)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need your help with preparation! (for Richard Wang)

Found this from: http://2009cyct.blogspot.com/

Hello,

Richard Wang is playing tomorrow on board 2 for a chance to a gold medal at the World Youth Chess Championship:

Wang Richard 2044 CAN 8 8 FM Duda Jan-Krzysztof 2079 POL

Is late here and the tomorrow game is early for us at 10AM, if any fan from back home has time and can send any lines that might help Richard it will be greatly appreciated.

Please use this email address:
    2009CYCT@gmail.com

In behalf of Canadian Team in Antalya Turkey
    Andrei Botez

Re: We need your help with preparation! (for Richard Wang)

I'm not sure if this is a right approach to that game? What about his opponent? What would he say if he has known about such "help"? Is this healthy or sporty behaviour??

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
      I'm not sure if this is a right approach to that game? What about his opponent? What would he say if he has known about such "help"? Is this healthy or sporty behaviour??
      Yes, in the 20th and 21st centuries, any help you can get before the game is OK. It's only unsporting if somebody with special access to the opponent's camp reveals a secret.

No quarter is expected or offered.

Whether special preparation for the opening of a single game is effective--that is a whole other question. The answer: it depends.

Comment

How about the sportsmanship in this case? That doesn't have much to do with it!

Comment

How about the sportsmanship in this case? That doesn't have much to do with it!
          Caesar, you can't be serious ?
          It would be unsporting NOT to prepare.

Comment

I consider chess as an individual sport (everybody shows off his own skills) - not a group one. Certainly, I know what situation in that is. At last ... one person takes credit for that result?

Comment

I consider chess as an individual sport (everybody shows off his own skills) - not a group one. Certainly, I know what situation in that is. At last ... one person takes credit for that result?
              Your opinion seems dated, doing well primarily involves the player but it also involves the efforts of the team coaches, private coaches, family, friends, technical resources, one's chess federation, and chess organizers who potentially provide you with preperation opportunities. Consider that in many sports that sports psychologists are taking roles (for adults ) well what does that indicate what kids 12 years old likely need to do well in these environments ?

In WYCC, one point ( or less ) could make a difference of dozens of placements, or in the case of a contendor colour of medal or medal versus top ten. Unfortunately, in Canada in most cases a young player is handicapped by modest local opportunities and less ambitious team organization at WYCC. Exceptions exist, on the surface it seems Eric Hansen has some support ( meaning he had a second and local Alberta organizers have organized many high quality events ideal for his progress ).

Given the realities, it is amazing how many contendors and near contendors Canada has produced at WYCC the last dozen years. Although, perhaps this has bred some complacency and misunderstanding what difficulties exist to facilitate these successes, particularly if the WYCC is held in or near Europe. Big teams with one coach / one captain ( sometimes the same person ) are not helpful towards getting more big individual results, but may lead to better middling results as it's a more social setting.
              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 22nd November, 2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Caesar,

It's common in every sport to study and take advantage of your opponents' weaknesses. Individual players (especially in tennis and other racquet sports) and all kinds of sports teams watch videos of their upcoming opponents to find weaknesses they can exploit.

Surely you know that Kasparov is the strongest chess player ever because he was the best prepared player for every one of his opponents. Are you suggesting that Kasparov's strength in chess was based on unethical practices?

Jordan
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I do not argue about the rules or those unethical practices. One thing in all of this is certain - there are no individualists anymore, like for instance Bobby Fisher was. There is a team work only, I understand. Therefore, why those medals (awards) are handed out to those individuals (for their individual work or skills)? Is that fair?

Comment

I do not argue about the rules or those unethical practices. One thing in all of this is certain - there are no individualists anymore, like for instance Bobby Fisher was. There is a team work only, I understand. Therefore, why those medals (awards) are handed out to those individuals (for their individual work or skills)? Is that fair?
                    Caesar,

That's a good point you raise... and that's why the individual who wins has to pay his team. Most trainers and seconds would rather be recognized in cash than in kind :)

The only thing that top players used to do that was legal, however unethical IMHO, is analyse adjourned games with their teams. I suppose since it's impossible to prevent such help after the game is adjourned, there was no point in making it illegal, however while the game is not yet decided, I cannot understand why anyone would consider the practice an ethical one. Since games are now only played in one session (from what I understand, there are no more adjournments), then the practice no longer applies.

And if Richard Bérubé is reading this, hopefully he won't remember the one and only time I had an adjourned game and he helped me analyse the position before the game resumed. It was at least 15 years ago, and I remember my position was slightly losing, but my opponent chose the one path that allowed me a nice winning trap... so ethics aside, it was well worth it :)

Jordan
                    Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Sunday, 22nd November, 2009, 07:13 PM.
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Exactly which era are you speaking of? The Fischer era was 40 years ago. Even then it had been commonplace for players to have seconds, trainers, etc. And of course NOOOOObody (apologies to Mel Lastman) read an opening treatise or analyzed their opponent's previous games. How many years has Informant been publishing?

I seem to recall that Marshall once prepared a specific line to use against Tarrasch.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X