December issue of CCN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December issue of CCN

Now that the November issue is out, I am looking for articles for the December issue. Tournament reports (with photos if you have them) are encouraged for all TD's. Maybe you have something you want to write about or perhaps you have an interesting game you would like to annotate.

Any and all submissions will be considered.

Just a reminder, games with annotations should be sent in pgn format. This is easy to do with Chessbase or Chess Assistant (please). This saves me tons of work! I would like to be as lazy as possible.

Do not send me any attachments over 10mgs as this clogs my email server and it will bounce back to you. If you have to, send 2 or 3 emails with all attachments.

Email your articles to tficzere@telus.net

Re: December issue of CCN

Should we include an e-cheque for 45$/ea as well, Tony?
    We, in Northern Ontario, French and English, if not disorganized, will not send the CFC a penny anymore. This website is to collect childrens $ from tourneys and books. Post elsewhere.

Comment

Whoa, harsh!

I don't get the intent here of this post. Is it against Tony, Chesstalk, or the CFC? Either way, I don't see why the post to Tony is negative and personal.

Tony, you are doing a great job with the newsletter. Thanks to your efforts I have received more actual content on Canadian Chess in the past 3 months than in the previous 2 years! You're spoiling us! Keep it up, just don't burn out!

Cheers!

Comment

Yea, I even got a complaint about the remark. I don't think it will have the effect of silencing Tony F., however, so it might actually serve a useful purpose of showing what people who are doing something for chess are up against.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
          Should we include an e-cheque for 45$/ea as well, Tony?
          We, in Northern Ontario, French and English, if not disorganized, will not send the CFC a penny anymore. This website is to collect childrens $ from tourneys and books. Post elsewhere.
          Huh? What are you imbibing? What about these latest (dated November 18, 2009) CFC rated tournaments from Northern Ontario:

http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=200911064
          (52 players)

http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=200911065
          (14 players)

http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=200911063
          (78 players)

I make that 144 rated player-events in New Liskeard. Toronto could be jealous!

To say nothing about mean-spiritedness. Tony was making a factual post about an excellent e-publication. Or am I missing an attempt at humour?

Comment

As for other ' mean-spirited' comments as to the current CFC admin, I think Jonathon Berry is correct that removing tourney memberships is the last straw... precedent has shown National Non-Profit Status can be removed and/or re-allocated. looking to get some national attention in Thunder Bay, possibly a bid for CYCC and Can Op. , AND Can Closed simultaneously next year. Nobody else wants it , do they? So make the first CFC-rated tourney FREE. An e-newsletter for 50$? and a rating? Come on.Lower this too.
            John Rutherford and Denis Nadeau will be submitting a bid contingent on the above -mentioned possibly; don't worry, I am not a part of the organizing committee. Maybe will secede and join FQE, or Manitoba?:)

Edit: Sorry that's JonathAn, rite? soory. always enjoy ur Saturday article... witty uncompromising...do you think Denis sends CFC $ or receives? Not much mind you. He quit a teaching pos. and is pensionless to pursue chess organizing. His kids sell chess CFC equipment, not much , though. CFC ruin anyone else's career? You recovered alright, somehow. CFC would havebe in same predicament it is now w/o ur tireless effort in '70s and early '80's.How' bout Bob Gillanders, quit his career to move to Ottawa to help bale out CFC, what happened there? He's a certified accountant so he's bak on his feet, but these stories are far too common. Ban the CFC. Imbibing?Didn't Spraggett just maliciously slog at you similarly? What comes around, goes around?
            Last edited by David McTavish; Monday, 30th November, 2009, 06:14 AM.

Comment

As for other ' mean-spirited' comments as to the current CFC admin, I think Jonathon Berry is correct that removing tourney memberships is the last straw... precedent has shown National Non-Profit Status can be removed and/or re-allocated. looking to get some national attention in Thunder Bay, possibly a bid for CYCC and Can Op. , AND Can Closed simultaneously next year. Nobody else wants it , do they? So make the first CFC-rated tourney FREE. An e-newsletter for 50$? and a rating? Come on.Lower this too.
              Personally, I think they should double the CFC membership fees.

We did that at the CCCA around 1980. The membership dues were so small people weren't taking it seriously. They would join for few buck, and drop out of events, and whine and complain. Then they would drop out for a year or two and come back and do it all over again.

After the hugh percentage increase in the membership dues, the membership continued to grow, the number of dropouts from events came down and the number of complaints about slobish behaviour in events declined. Honorariums increased. It would be unfair not to mention that part.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Personally, I think they should double the CFC membership fees.

We did that at the CCCA around 1980. The membership dues were so small people weren't taking it seriously. They would join for few buck, and drop out of events, and whine and complain. Then they would drop out for a year or two and come back and do it all over again.

After the hugh percentage increase in the membership dues, the membership continued to grow, the number of dropouts from events came down and the number of complaints about slobish behaviour in events declined. Honorariums increased. It would be unfair not to mention that part.
                Moves by stamps dont happen now, Gary. I remember winning Can Op Ch ahead of the likes of Wright, Kiviaho, Chouinard, Leveille, running throughout the majority of said '80's. i dont recall ur name at all. Joe jr and sr, Drew Stoll, not you. Maybe you were filing papers in Missouri, thus your attitide about complaints and whining.Some good games there, not like your Rybka rating.Beware of PC Paul, he's now holdong the pursestrings re. fees!

Just rec'd from hq November 25th, 2009 01:46 AM Post elsewhere? What a bitter person!
                Last edited by David McTavish; Tuesday, 1st December, 2009, 12:11 AM. Reason: November 25th, 2009 01:46 AM Post elsewhere? What a bitter person!

Comment

Moves by stamps dont happen now, Gary. I remember winning Can Op Ch ahead of the likes of Wright, Kiviaho, Chouinard, Leveille, running throughout the majority of said '80's. i dont recall ur name at all. Joe jr and sr, Drew Stoll, not you. Maybe you were filing papers in Missouri, thus your attitide about complaints and whining.Some good games there, not like your Rybka rating.Beware of PC Paul, he's now holdong the pursestrings re. fees!

Just rec'd from hq November 25th, 2009 01:46 AM Post elsewhere? What a bitter person!
                  I have to admit I was always in awe of your monster correspondence rating. It was higher than the gross domestic product of Northern Ontario.

When I played Bob Kiviaho OTB you were probably still in diapers. Sylvain used to do adjudications for me and I did play him. I played Joe Sr. OTB and CC. Never played John Wright or Leveille. Did Leveille complete the tournament in which you played him or did you get a withdrawal?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

And so the thread gets hijacked.

Please send in you tournament reports, articles, and anything else you want to see in the December issue. Deadline is December 18, but don't let that stop you from getting things in early.

Comment

Just wanted to let people know that old CCN's are now being archived on the CFC Website - a real treasure for the CFC.

Keep up the great work Tony !

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        I have to admit I was always in awe of your monster correspondence rating. It was higher than the gross domestic product of Northern Ontario.

When I played Bob Kiviaho OTB you were probably still in diapers. Sylvain used to do adjudications for me and I did play him. I played Joe Sr. OTB and CC. Never played John Wright or Leveille. Did Leveille complete the tournament in which you played him or did you get a withdrawal?
                        Wow, fast response Gary!Rubbing the sleep outa my eyes, but if u can use ur 'jungian visualization technique' cause there's no PGN viewer on this grand site of chess, I think Francois may be embarrassed.
                        Leveille-McTavish, Finals 2nd Can Op. Corr Ch ('81-'88)
                        1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. e3 Bb4 5. Qc2 O-O 6. Nd5
                        Re8 7. Qf5 d6 8. Nxf6+ gxf6 9. Qh5 d5 10. Bd3 e4 11. cxd5 Bf8!!( subsequently claimed as TN by Watson the year after this game-- not bad for diapers) 12. Bxe4 Rxe4 13.dxc6 Qd3 14. Ng1 Bg4 15. Qh4 Bb4 16. Qh6 Rc4 0-1

i think he 'drewwith' the rest of his games to finish. highest per capita area in Canada re. public employees -- ya, Northern Ontario. Consumption and trade goes anywhere but locally or even provincially.We've been WalMarted, too. Not much sent to Ottawa, either. The great permanent depression, esp. with not overpriced ( except gold) mineral commodities these days. I was never a member of any correspondence org. Any club that would have me as a member...

Comment

Wow, fast response Gary!Rubbing the sleep outa my eyes, but if u can use ur 'jungian visualization technique' cause there's no PGN viewer on this grand site of chess, I think Francois may be embarrassed.
                          Leveille-McTavish, Finals 2nd Can Op. Corr Ch ('81-'88)
                          1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. e3 Bb4 5. Qc2 O-O 6. Nd5
                          Re8 7. Qf5 d6 8. Nxf6+ gxf6 9. Qh5 d5 10. Bd3 e4 11. cxd5 Bf8!!( subsequently claimed as TN by Watson the year after this game-- not bad for diapers) 12. Bxe4 Rxe4 13.dxc6 Qd3 14. Ng1 Bg4 15. Qh4 Bb4 16. Qh6 Rc4 0-1

i think he 'drewwith' the rest of his games to finish. highest per capita area in Canada re. public employees -- ya, Northern Ontario. Consumption and trade goes anywhere but locally or even provincially.We've been WalMarted, too. Not much sent to Ottawa, either. The great permanent depression, esp. with not overpriced ( except gold) mineral commodities these days. I was never a member of any correspondence org. Any club that would have me as a member...
                          1981 to 1988. Was that the around 300 entrant event I organized? The first one was over 400 entrants. I wasn't organizing or playing in 1988. I stopped around 1985 or 86. Health problems which later required minor heart surgery. :)

You're right. You didn't have to join the CCCA to play in the event. That and a low entry fee was my "hook". I think about 30% of those who entered to play in those Canadian Opens did join. The man who won the first Canadian Open went on to play on our correspondence national teams. I seem to recall he made SM. It was Kurt Widman (I probably have this spelled wrong) from B.C.. I seem to recall he was an OTB master in maybe Austria. My memory on the small details might be way off.

I think Francois withdrew from postal to concentrate on is OTB play. I never thought there was anymore to it than that.

I got a list of clubs in Canada from the CFC and sent all of them flyers on the event. Also, Lawrence and Jonathan advertised the events in their chess column for me. That was how I used to promote chess.

Did you win that Canadian Open? I lost track.

Has the economy picked up in Northern Ontario? I can't imagine forestry is doing much and doubt the junior miners are raising as much as before to spend on exploration. I had shares in a paper company in B.C. but sold them recently. I thought the shares had become overpriced considering the dynamics. Maybe if it gets back around a dime I'll buy them back. It was a combination of high taxation and high wages which spooked me.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Van Oops, u were the organizer:o
                            Apparently we've hijacked this thread, so u take the high road, i'll take the low...
                            til we cross keyboards again..
                            unless JB wishes to address Tony's exorbatant honorarium, lack of flex re tourney membership fees, or anyelse for that matter?

Comment

Van Oops, u were the organizer:o
                              Apparently we've hijacked this thread, so u take the high road, i'll take the low...
                              til we cross keyboards again..
                              unless JB wishes to address Tony's exorbatant honorarium, lack of flex re tourney membership fees, or anyelse for that matter?
                              Hi David,

So what is my stance on tourney membership fees anyway, and just how much is my exorbatant honorarium?

Comment

Working...
                              X