Stephen Boyd in Khanty-Mansiysk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Boyd in Khanty-Mansiysk

Hi - while browsing the photos at the World Cup website http://ugra-chess.ru/eng/main_e.htm, I spotted a couple of photos of someone who looked like Stephan Boyd.

As it has been at least 30 years since I saw him last, I did a little digging to confirm his identity. You can find him listed as an arbiter, with France as his country now. Glad to see he is doing well.

When did he leave Canada? Ah France ... ah wine!

Cheers

Dave Broughton

Re: Stephen Boyd in Khanty-Mansiysk

He is listed on the web site of the Chess Federation of France as an arbiter for the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Broughton View Post
      Hi - while browsing the photos at the World Cup website http://ugra-chess.ru/eng/main_e.htm, I spotted a couple of photos of someone who looked like Stephan Boyd.

As it has been at least 30 years since I saw him last, I did a little digging to confirm his identity. You can find him listed as an arbiter, with France as his country now. Glad to see he is doing well.

When did he leave Canada? Ah France ... ah wine!

Cheers

Dave Broughton
      Hi Dave,

Stephen is also a correspondence chess IM. He plays his correspondence chess under the Canadian flag, as far as I know. I think he's currently playing in an ICCF event.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Stephen was quite excited to go to Siberia.

Stephen moved to France around 20 years ago, is happily married with 2 children. He works for the French chess federation in Montpellier and has travelled to train Arbitors in french. He comes back to Toronto to visit his mom and is willing to direct a major tournament here (if someone pays for his airfare).

As well as being a master himself, he was the major TD of the Toronto Closed and weekend tournaments in the 1980s.
        Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Wednesday, 25th November, 2009, 05:00 PM. Reason: sp typo

Comment

Thanks Erik - I get a lot of pleasure out of hearing that old friends are doing well.

Dave

Comment

May you confirm that the thread is about this gentleman:

Comment

Yes that is Stephen. He looks like he might have had some jet lag problems like Hebert, or just forgot to pack a comb and razor.

In the 1980s he worked as a typesetter and made huge wall charts of crosstables. Having experienced that and the multi-coloured hand made ones, I hate the small-print printouts used for pairings and standings today.

Comment

Working...
              X