Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Not all Science is One-Sided

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    It's interesting you find the leaked emails meaningless. It's an international scandal and throws doubt on the entire theory.
    This only shows that you don't know how science works, and has worked for centuries. Somehow science managed to entirely revolutionize our lives from beginning to end in spite of such things (which are in actual fact, fairly common, so common that scientists have developed quite robust {but not perfect} means for dealing with them). Science is done by human beings with human motives, both good and bad! Amazing!! What a revelation!!! Who could have imagined!!!!

You have, as I said, made up your mind and won't be confused by the facts.
    Last edited by Ed Seedhouse; Friday, 11th December, 2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Re: What Lies in the Future

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
      Indeed, and when oil royalties will become ridiculously low, governments might realize that there are other ways to go find royalties, which might even generate less externalities.
      You probably realize foreign government owned, or partly government owned, concerns hold land in Alberta. Korean national oil company is buying Harvest energy. The refinery in Nfld and oil interests in Alberta.
      Statoil of Norway has interests in our oil sands.
      I seem to recall China or a China company recently bought something in the oil patch. And there are more.

Which governments do you think are really serious about solving global warming instead of solving their own energy and financial needs?

Before the new higher royalties scared away the drillers Alberta had a nice surplus. There are also federal royalties as well as provincial royalties.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
        You have, as I said, made up your mind and won't be confused by the facts.
        Fudged figures don't produce facts. If you haven't made up your mind why aren't you wondering at the results had some figures not been ignored.

Is this a case of you already having made up your mind and trying to tag it to me so it won't be noticed in your case?

It' a beautiful day here today. Partly cloudy. Negative 7 C with a warm 40 km breeze coming off the lake. Windchill something like negative 20. I love this global warming!
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Fudged figures don't produce facts.
          Which is why I don't cite them. You yourself cite nothing, fudged or not fudged. You just have an unsupported opinion, and if a scientist says something is true and you don't find that convenient you ignore it.

Ben Goldacre sums up the situation rather well in today's Guardian column, I think, and he provides a link to the IPCC website, where all the science and the data can be accessed, but be warned it is not written for high school level readers and will take you days to go through if you do read at the required level.

Comment

Which is why I don't cite them. You yourself cite nothing, fudged or not fudged. You just have an unsupported opinion, and if a scientist says something is true and you don't find that convenient you ignore it.

Ben Goldacre sums up the situation rather well in today's Guardian column, I think, and he provides a link to the website, where all the science and the data can be accessed, but be warned it is not written for high school level readers and will take you days to go through if you do read at the required level.
            I totally reject your arguments which are based on unproven theories, scare tactics about future generations, and a willingness to overlook the leaked emails before there has been a reasonable attempt to see what, if any, difference they make to the models being presented.

Regarding education, in my opinion, if you aren't making money from global warming in some way, it is you who lacks an education. I can't see from your arguments that you even understand the studies or the questionable science you are putting forward for us to believe.

If you want to pay for all the new taxes the governments dream up for you to pay and watch industry move away to more friendly and lucrative provinces or countries, that's OK with me. Funny you don't seem to be worried about how much of a national and provincial debt you will be leaving to future generations.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I totally reject
              Yes, you reject anything that does not fit into your ideological view, you have already shown that.

Those who are more rational and not ensnared by an ideology might want to have a look at this link, too: Precaution, uncertainty, insurance, and morality.

Comment

Yes, you reject anything that does not fit into your ideological view, you have already shown that.

Those who are more rational and not ensnared by an ideology might want to have a look at this link, too: Precaution, uncertainty, insurance, and morality.
                What ideology are you writng about? I haven't even bothered voting the last few elections. Whoever wins is OK with me. I'm not the one trying to change the world. I'd call you the one dishing the ideology.

Is that fellow you have linked to an author with a book to sell?

Why don't you write a book and make some money?

Remember P. T. Barnum? There's a sucker born every minute.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

What ideology are you writng about? I haven't even bothered voting the last few elections.
                  Evidence in favour of your being an ideologue, not against it.

Comment

Working...
                  X