The French Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The French Again

Wesley So has defeated Gata Kamsky with the Classical French in Round 3 Game 1. So moved quickly and has more than 1 hour left on his clock when Kamsky called it a day.

As my Dutch friends say from my old club Voorschoten, "Black has all the fun".
    Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Friday, 27th November, 2009, 12:03 PM.

Re: The French Again

Wow!

This is Kamsky's turf. He placed high in 2005 and won it all in 2007. Given his opening surprise against Topalov (ie the French) in the Sophia Challenger's Match, Wesley's feat is all the more remarkable.

Comment

Re: The French Again -Karjakin beats the Rubenstein French

In the 3rd round game 2, Karjakin badly needed a win with the white pieces to stay alive.

So, Karjakin defeated the French Rubenstein of Navara, in style, sacrificing a whole rook. Starting with the pawn sarifice c6 - to create a winning passed b pawn, then the surprising Rc5, the Qd3-queen exchange and highlighted by the unexpected R5c2!! - the point of which was shown by Nb6!!

Like Hou Yi Fan, I like the approach of Karjakin to chess.

Go Karjakin go!

Comment

Re: The French Again= Karjakin in the French Steinitz

In round 4 game 1, Karjakin (who turned Russian from Ukrainian) held the French Steinitz of Vacher to a draw, using the theoretically approved a3 to check the queenside pawn advance of Black.

Instead of cb4, Black played Qb4 -a novelty?

Karjakin's Nc1 is suspect. Whynot Ng3,for the f5 push?

Black forced the draw with the super move Nb4!!, to create repetition.

Black has all the fun!
        Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Monday, 30th November, 2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Re: The French Again=Ponomariov's Nc6 in the French Winawer Advance

In round 5 game 2, former World CUp champion Ponomariov used the French Winawer Advance variation to comfortably draw with the black pieces against Gashimov.

What is special about Ponomariov's handling of the black pieces is that he avoided the popular lines based on Qc7 and Ne7 -which leads to the poisoned pawn.

With Nc6, followed by Bd7 and Qa5, Ponomariov's idea is to castle queenside. I have seen this idea played by the Dutch player Monty when we played together in the 3rd class of the KNSB comperirions.

Ponomariov then started kingside operations with f5, which convinced Gashimov to offer the draw.

In this game, Ponomariov has shown that Nc6 is a solid alternative to Qc7, or Ne7 and could be adopted if Black is contented with a draw.
          Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Friday, 4th December, 2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X