Canadian Forces chess tournament in Kingston this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Forces chess tournament in Kingston this weekend

My friend Alex Lambruschini has informed me that there will be a Canadian Forces chess tournament taking place in Kingston this weekend. :) :) :)

Alex is playing in the event, where the top seed is Roger Lebrun of Pembroke. I know Roger from his past appearances in the Kingston Open; he is rated about 2000.

I'm hoping to spectate some of the event; it's being held at historic Fort Frontenac (on Ontario Street / Highway 2, just on the west side of the La Salle Causeway, in downtown Kingston), in case anyone in the area wants to drop by. Not sure of the playing hours. Perhaps Alex will inform Canadian chess people of the results on this site.

Re: Canadian Forces chess tournament in Kingston this weekend

LOL, I remember an intercollegiate tournament in Kingston about 1970. The RMC team neatly outfitted in their matching military outfits paired against eight players from Rochdale College. Rochdale was not an accredited school - more of a hippie hangout at 321 Bloor Street. The eight player team of long-haired, scrofulus, drugged-out hippies blanked the officer material hopefuls with an 8 - 0 embarassment. I still got to laugh. :D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      LOL, I remember an intercollegiate tournament in Kingston about 1970. The RMC team neatly outfitted in their matching military outfits paired against eight players from Rochdale College. Rochdale was not an accredited school - more of a hippie hangout at 321 Bloor Street. The eight player team of long-haired, scrofulus, drugged-out hippies blanked the officer material hopefuls with an 8 - 0 embarassment. I still got to laugh. :D:D:D
      I used to have to go to Rochdale College (on business) once a week. Later the equipment was changed and I only had to go once a month. The guy whose job it was wouldn't go because he objected to the bad language.

The actual work took about 5 minutes but with the waiting and that sort of thing it often turned out to be about half a day. 4 hours. What a place! One time when I was there waiting in the office there was a man from the Southern U.S. with a police officer. He was looking for his daughter whom he thought had come to Canada with her draft dodging boyfriend. He looked like he hadn't slept in a couple of days and was showing her picture to anyone who would look. The one on the desk was telling him the girl wasn't there but was probably shacked up somewhere else. I don't know how this ended because the big guy with the keys finally showed up and we left.

What a place. Sometimes I'd ride the elevator to the top and walk down a flight of stairs and walk the length of the hall and down one more flight on the other side of the building from floor to floor.

There used to be a guy there who was tyring to sell diplomas. I guess a person could buy any diploma he wanted and the prices went up according to what a person wanted. I don't know if he ever sold any.

I seem to recall they fixed the place and used it for seniors. If only the walls could talk. :)
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        My friend Alex Lambruschini has informed me that there will be a Canadian Forces chess tournament taking place in Kingston this weekend. :) :) :)
        Just wondering where the tournament got its name? Is it organized by the Canadian Forces, and can anyone play?

The reason I ask is I have wondered if there are other federal employees who play chess. Here in Newfoundland I cannot find anyone in particular, however I wonder if we had a team, how strong it would be.

Thanks, Jordan
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

There are Canadians who play in the annual NATO tournament in Europe. Food, lodging, and tournament entry are "covered" by the organizers for the week-long event - however there is an "entry fee" of 300 euros.

6. Composition of the Teams
          All employees of the participating nation’s Defence Department are regarded as potential team members (civilians included). Teams will consist of a maximum of eight “team members”:
          - 1 x Team Captain
          - 1 x Team Official
          - 6 x Team Players
          During the tournament a team representing NATO will be made up from personnel (team captains and officials) not already representing their nation.

And yes - there is a dress code.

9. Uniforms
          Formal Service uniforms are to be worn at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Casual civilian clothes must be worn for the other chess-rounds.

Next year - it's in Denmark in October.

http://www.natochess.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            Just wondering where the tournament got its name? Is it organized by the Canadian Forces, and can anyone play?
            http://www.chess.ca/ontario.htm

Canadian Forces Chess Tournament - Kingston
            City: Kingston
            Contact:/Organizer: Major Regis Bellemare Regis.bellemare@forces.gc.ca
            Tour Director: Corporal Brian Murray brian.murray@forces.gc.ca
            Date: November 28-29, 2009
            Place: Fort Frontenac Officer's Mess (FFOM), Griffon Room.
            Rds: 4
            Times: Saturday 10:15am, 2pm; Sunday 10am, 2:30pm
            Type: Swiss
            TC: Rds 1&2 G/90; Rds 3&4 G/90 + 30 seconds.
            EF: $20. Pre-register before Nov 21st to receive $5 discount.
            Prizes: First active military, First active civilian, First retired member (civilian or military)
            Reg: Pre-registration only, by email to the organizer
            Misc: This tournament is open to active or retired Canadian Forces (CF) members or civilian working for CF or Department of National Defense (DND).

- Opening Ceremony: Saturday 28 Nov, 10h00 (in uniform for military personnel.
            - Accomodation: Available at Kingston base at the cost of $30 per night. Room to be requested when you register. Places are limited.
            - Meals: Participant can eat at the Officers' Mess.
            - Dress Code: Casual (ie. dress slacks and shirt, turtleneck shirt, or equivalent attire for ladies).
            - CFC Membership: Required and available at the door for $41 adults, $27 juniors, or $20 for the tournament.

Comment

Thanks E.Z.

I wish they would do something for Service Canada and/or CRA employees...
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Working...
              X