According to famous GM Lubomir Kavalek.

Here more details from Washington Post: CHESS
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Coming Soon

From Russell Enterprises

Comment

Re: Endgame studies are wonderful tools for improving your chess game

Neil,

What's most underrated book in your opinion, excluding "Chess is a Struggle" (of course)?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
        Neil,

What's most underrated book in your opinion, excluding "Chess is a Struggle" (of course)?
        What??? Who said "Struggle" was underrated???? :)

There are a lot of candidates. "Improve Your Chess Now" by Jonathan Tisdall would probably be my first choice. I felt it gave me a new way of thinking about thinking! It was probably worth 100 rating points to me.

It got critical praise, but I don't think most people are aware of it.

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your recommendation. I will read it, for sure.

What I would recommend you is to submit an article to the chess.com portal with reference to your book. This will surely generate a second wave of interest in your publication.

Cheers and another 50 years of success!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
            What??? Who said "Struggle" was underrated???? :)

There are a lot of candidates. "Improve Your Chess Now" by Jonathan Tisdall would probably be my first choice. I felt it gave me a new way of thinking about thinking! It was probably worth 100 rating points to me.

It got critical praise, but I don't think most people are aware of it.
            I agree that this book is not really for novices or players below, say, 1700 USCF. I was reluctant to purchase this book at first because how many times can we go over the same concepts and practical advice ("Study master games. Study your games. Read books on positional play. Solve combinations." And so on...)? But Tisdall writes engagingly about the confusion we all experience once we leave the sterile, analysed positions in our texts (Chapter 1). He offers a way to develop that "vision thing" through blindfold chess (Chapter 2). And if we mess up? Playing bad positions (Chapter 3). When we're at the board, can we recognize patterns that will give us ideas on how to proceed? (Chapter 4). Chapter 5 shows how piece values change during the game. The last chapter is concerned with various practical tips that every chessplayer could use now and then. This is not your standard, "here are the laws of chess" text. It does not treat you like a child and say, "Study x hours, read y books, etc."

Comment

Working...
            X